RSI Smartcap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
Got mine installed tonight! I had the shop do it, they gave me a nice deal since it was the first one they've done.

They said they had been a little iffy on continuing to be a dealer after all the delays and not much information on shipping to share with their customers, but after seeing the quality and features they said they are 100% on board.

They said the seals are all excellent where the panels meet each other and everything fit together amazingly.

I've played around with it a little and I have to say its even better than I expected. The build quality is outstanding, it fits the bed perfectly, and the contours match the Jeep just right. Extremely happy so far!

Ill probably have more photos over the weekend, but here are a few from tonight!

20201113_204502.jpg

20201113_204537.jpg

20201113_183533.jpg

20201113_182710.jpg

received_992857444560573.jpeg
Ever since we got on the forum, our team has been extremely excited to see your build with a SmartCap on it. Well done PhantomChameleon!!! Let us know if you have any questions.
Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Heck yes!!! We love this so much. Thank you for posting and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Your build looks fantastic!
Not as much as I like your cap, I bet, haha.

But seriously, thanks for creating such a great product. This piece was integral to my vision for my build. Look forward to more pictures as I continue adding the finishing touches.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Ever since we got on the forum, our team has been extremely excited to see your build with a SmartCap on it. Well done PhantomChameleon!!! Let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks guys! The cap is truly fantastic, very impressed with the look, function, and quality. I'll hopefully have some better photos to share soon!

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Here we go! A video walkaround/first impressions for anyone interested. Also posted to my build thread here -> https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/ares-build-thread.26187/

@RSI North America Inc, thanks for an awesome product!

Awesome video! Will be an awesome resource for those wanting more info on the Gladiator version.

My tailgate seals are also very tight like yours are. The shop that did the install did mention possibly trimming the small sections at the corners of the tailgate to make it a little easier to close. Their suggestion though was to wait and let the seals break in for at least a few days before doing so. Apparently they see this with other caps/seals and the seals tend to "break in" a little after letting the doors sit closed for a while.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome video! Will be an awesome resource for those wanting more info on the Gladiator version.

My tailgate seals are also very tight like yours are. The shop that did the install did mention possibly trimming the small sections at the corners of the tailgate to make it a little easier to close. Their suggestion though was to wait and let the seals break in for at least a few days before doing so. Apparently they see this with other caps/seals and the seals tend to "break in" a little after letting the doors sit closed for a while.
Thanks man! That's the hope. It's hard to be unbiased when I love this thing so much though haha.

Good to know. Yeah, I figured I'd give it a little bit before messing with it. I have some of the rubber leftover so I can always cut another small piece or two if my tailgate ruins the ones that are on there. I was thinking I may cut a small strip, and move it further in towards the bed so the tailgate just shuts on it, instead of tugging on it as I'm closing it, if that makes any sense. Either way, unless I'm holding a hose or a power washer in that specific spot, even without the seals, I expect water ingress would be minimal.

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks man! That's the hope. It's hard to be unbiased when I love this thing so much though haha.

Good to know. Yeah, I figured I'd give it a little bit before messing with it. I have some of the rubber leftover so I can always cut another small piece or two if my tailgate ruins the ones that are on there. I was thinking I may cut a small strip, and move it further in towards the bed so the tailgate just shuts on it, instead of tugging on it as I'm closing it, if that makes any sense. Either way, unless I'm holding a hose or a power washer in that specific spot, even without the seals, I expect water ingress would be minimal.
Yeah, thats a good thought about having the tailgate close on it instead of shoving it up under the seal - I may try that also depending on how much easier it gets after a week or two. I didn't get any left over material from the shop after install but I imagine any seal type material would work fine!

And I also agree that it is definitely not a high concern area either way, even with a modified seal...plus its so small that even if water did get in via power washing, it wouldn't likely be enough to matter.

I hadn't even thought of the side window thing where its hard to close with one hand...it's definitely not a huge deal and I wonder if the pistons might get a little less stiff over time? Its worth noting though for sure as it is a difference compared to some of the other options.

I also noticed that since there are no handles on the side doors, you're always pressing on the glass to close it which leaves smudges and finger prints on the glass constantly. Again, silly tiny issue but at this point those are my only "complaints" if you can even call them that.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, before you go and cut the gasket, Im confirming with a couple of my teammates. I believe we have a better solution for you that won't compromise the weatherproofing.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, thats a good thought about having the tailgate close on it instead of shoving it up under the seal - I may try that also depending on how much easier it gets after a week or two. I didn't get any left over material from the shop after install but I imagine any seal type material would work fine!

And I also agree that it is definitely not a high concern area either way, even with a modified seal...plus its so small that even if water did get in via power washing, it wouldn't likely be enough to matter.

I hadn't even thought of the side window thing where its hard to close with one hand...it's definitely not a huge deal and I wonder if the pistons might get a little less stiff over time? Its worth noting though for sure as it is a difference compared to some of the other options.

I also noticed that since there are no handles on the side doors, you're always pressing on the glass to close it which leaves smudges and finger prints on the glass constantly. Again, silly tiny issue but at this point those are my only "complaints" if you can even call them that.
Haha, I did notice that too as far as fingerprints on the glass. Definitely not a big deal though.

Hey guys, before you go and cut the gasket, Im confirming with a couple of my teammates. I believe we have a better solution for you that won't compromise the weatherproofing.
Sweet! Much appreciated, RSI.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Haha, I did notice that too as far as fingerprints on the glass. Definitely not a big deal though.

Sweet! Much appreciated, RSI.
Ok, regarding your observation about the bottom d-rubber gasket “dragging” on the top of the tailgate and making it a bit harder to close, don’t cut the d-rubber! Rather, make sure that the same 10mm blocks that should have been installed between the bottom of the cap mounting flange and the top of the bedrail caps at the clamp positions (see the attached diagram) is also installed near the rear corners. This will lift the cap up a bit and prevent closing of the tailgate from tearing the gasket.

Also, once you’ve done that, make sure to liberally re-apply Super Glue to the ends of the d-rubber gasket, re-attach them to the cap, gently close the tailgate, and leave it closed for a bit.

As for your comments regarding the doors opening a bit too well :) outside of replacing the gas assist shocks with less powerful shocks, they are not going to lessen their opening power any time soon.

Finally, as for your concerns about smudging the glass when closing the gullwing doors, well, for that we would consider wearing cotton gloves.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or if you prefer, you can also email our Tech Heads at [email protected].

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 11.04.33 AM

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, regarding your observation about the bottom d-rubber gasket “dragging” on the top of the tailgate and making it a bit harder to close, don’t cut the d-rubber! Rather, make sure that the same 10mm blocks that should have been installed between the bottom of the cap mounting flange and the top of the bedrail caps at the clamp positions (see the attached diagram) is also installed near the rear corners. This will lift the cap up a bit and prevent closing of the tailgate from tearing the gasket.

Also, once you’ve done that, make sure to liberally re-apply Super Glue to the ends of the d-rubber gasket, re-attach them to the cap, gently close the tailgate, and leave it closed for a bit.

As for your comments regarding the doors opening a bit too well :) outside of replacing the gas assist shocks with less powerful shocks, they are not going to lessen their opening power any time soon.

Finally, as for your concerns about smudging the glass when closing the gullwing doors, well, for that we would consider wearing cotton gloves.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or if you prefer, you can also email our Tech Heads at [email protected].

Good advice, thanks for that! I'll try to go out and make the adjustment a bit later on today.

Haha, definitely not complaining about how they open, I was just a bit surprised with their "oomph." I opened one of the side windows after assembling the cap, when I had it on my garage floor, and it threw me off balance from a squat. Having to use two hands to close it is also definitely something I can get over, it was just an observation. The glass smudging is really a non-issue for me. It's a Jeep! It's going to get dirty!

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately for me, I had a shop install mine and I am not sure if they placed these 10mm blocks under the clamp spots or not...it does seem like they did not place them under the corners since my tailgate is rubbing on the gaskets pretty significantly. Did the install directions specify that this should be done?

The shop also did not give me any excess or unused material, so unfortunately I do not have the 10mm blocks to install myself.

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
I received my cap this morning. I wish I could say it was good news, as I was so excited to install this baby.

My roof panel is severely damaged and bent in multiple spots. One of them is pretty minor and could be straightened with a dead blow or taken up when the panels were bolted together. One of the others is severe enough it made a kink in the panel to the point the accessory tracks pulled away from the panel.

I've reached out to my dealer to see how to get a new panel sent out. Stuff gets damaged in shipping... it happens. Still sucks though.

The other panels are in mostly good shape. There is a couple small paint runs here and there and some moderate bends in the sheet metal where the panels will meet/bolt together. Some finish worn off on one of the side window latches (minor). I will say that all of the panel boxes (that were inside the large single box) had holes in them from the panels punching through. It didn't seem to correlate with any damage on the panels. But they should consider modifying the packaging.

The roof panel, shipping separately is always going to pose shipping risks. It's a big piece and will be susceptible to impacts and bending.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I received my cap this morning. I wish I could say it was good news, as I was so excited to install this baby.

My roof panel is severely damaged and bent in multiple spots. One of them is pretty minor and could be straightened with a dead blow or taken up when the panels were bolted together. One of the others is sever enough it made a kink in the panel to the point the accessory tracks pulled away from the panel.

I've reached out to my dealer to see how to get a new panel sent out. Stuff gets damaged in shipping... it happens. Still sucks though.

The other panels are in mostly good shape. There is a couple small paint runs here and there and some moderate bends in the sheet metal where the panels will meet/bolt together. Some finish worn off on one of the side window latches (minor). I will say that all of the panel boxes (that were inside the large single box) had holes in them from the panels punching through. It didn't seem to correlate with any damage on the panels. But they should consider modifying the packaging.

The roof panel, shipping separately is always going to pose shipping risks. It's a big piece and will be susceptible to impacts and bending.
Damn, that really sucks...sorry to hear. I did have one puncture on the external box from what looked like a fork from a lift, but it didn't pass through to the internal box. I thoroughly looked over the area and didn't see anything.

They must have been really rough with it to bend up a steel panel like that. That's really unfortunate. Hopefully it's made right, quickly.

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
Damn. That's a drag! Who did you order it from? It will be interesting to see how quickly this is resolved.
Sponsored