Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Thank you for everyone’s advice. As I mentioned in the beginning of the thread, I personally felt it overkill. When you have trusted friends giving you advice like that, it’s always good to get a second opinion though.
Sponsored

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I think your friend may have been pulling your leg. Who carries around a boot and boots their own car? Do you want to make the vehicle have the appearance of being abandoned or, at least, unsupervised?

Here's my suggestion: Buy the boot, stick it on the friend's car, and tell him you are just making sure nobody tows his vehicle away while he isn't looking. :)

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I personally hate the Sirius Guardian service but I think here (if it works for you) might be all you need. You can geofence it every night and actually get a notification if it moves. a few months of this service would probably be your cheapest option and could make you feel good in a worst case senario type situation.

The odds of somebody bringing anything capable of stealing from a JT are low. Most criminals go after something quick not 37inch tires that would be hard to steal or not loading a 5k+ truck onto a tow truck they then have to part out.

The biggest string of vehicle thefts I hear about now are simpel things like catalitic converters from a prius of all things. Apparently the scrap value on them is crazy high, like in some cases more than the car it is attached to. its also something easy to remove and get away with.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Avoid motels/hotels, stay at the local KOA's in one of their cabins when not camping off grid, they usually have a parking spot right in front of the cabin.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I think you have had plenty of advice about you post so I'll ask what are your plans? What does your trip look like?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I think you have had plenty of advice about you post so I'll ask what are your plans? What does your trip look like?
We’re going to do several sections of the TransAmerica trail from Virginia to Moab, with some fun side trips along the way there and back :)

DJ_Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR, 2021 JTR Diesel
Seriously, the Trans Am Trail doesn't go thru any areas that you should be worried about.
More people along the route are likely to say "Hi" and offer to help if you have a flat than are going to even consider stealing from you. Don't believe all the media garbage about us "good ol' boys and gals"
As others have said, be aware of your surroundings and don't stop in areas you don't feel comfortable.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Before you park at night, put it in 4L, back into parking spot, crank wheels all the way to stop, turn off ignition, set parking brake.

They'll have to drag it a bit to hook and go and them big tires will SCREAM when being dragged across parking lot.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Should've bought a manual. That eliminates 90% of drivers out there from operating your car.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
We’re going to do several sections of the TransAmerica trail from Virginia to Moab, with some fun side trips along the way there and back :)
That sounds like a great trip. I have never even heard of the TransAmerican trail before. Im digging into it now. :like:

Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
"Millenial Anti-Theft Device" you mean?
Not just millennial... I find quite a bit of people my age and older who can't drive a manual. But then the young kids don't even know what it is. At least my generation recognizes it.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Sounds like you got everything ironed out but just another tip (if you have a Tazer Lite/Mini installed) is to set the hood alarm function. I know you said you already have hood locks though.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
First things I did were hood locks, spare lock, locking gas cap, door locks - every little bit helps.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
If you are willing to spend money like that on gadgets, then you might want to play some offense, not just defense. Defense is locking your doors, alarm is set, kill the battery, lock the hood, lug nut locks and all that good stuff. But beyond the obvious, nothing is going to stop someone from taking it, like others have said.

Imagine someone did just take your Jeep. Do you have a GPS tracking device? That's the best thing you have when it's time to call the police. You install one you manage on your own, and you can see it's location with your phone. Or you go the route of a subscription based service where a company manages it, but I would rather just do it myself. I've read stories about people doing this with an old phone they hide somewhere. Plenty of "find my phone" solutions out there. Traveling with 2 people, 2 phones? Sleeping the night in a hotel? Hide one of the phones in the Jeep overnight. Done! You might even be able to get some kind of notification in the middle of the night that your "phone" has moved, or detected audio. Just some ideas. I don't have the full solution, but I'm interested in researching this type of thing.
Sponsored