Sponsored

When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing?

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully won't need one for a while but like to figure out ahead of time what brand and type of battery everyone is going to go with and why. Both main and axillary.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I intend to replace with AMG batteries when needed, but I hope to have already installed a "secondary" or house battery by then. The reason I haven't, I've been procrastinating on location of the battery. I have not decided where to install it.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Are either of the oem batteries AGM?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Both of the OEM batteries in a JT are AGM.
;) the only type I've bought in 25 plus years. Optima was my first choice years ago until manufacture of them moved south. Orbital has been my other choice. Except for my 4wheeler then just Wally world AGM, now I have had great service with Optima batteries many lasting past 12-15 years. Red tops and blue tops. I prefer the deep cycle over standard, works better for running a Ready Welder. That leads to my reason for dual battery set up.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
AGM batteries are not suited for use under the bonnet, too much heat! They will work, but you will get less life from them. Lead acid is the way to go under the bonnet.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it you really need / could benefit from a pricey aftermarket battery set-up then go for it. An aftermarket kit with 2 quality, AGM batteries can cost you around $2000.

For most just learning how to deal with the stock OEM batteries will do them just fine... Most do not need nor would they benefit from an aftermarket dual battery set-up.

Should also mention, that you can very easily run with just the Main battery alone and just use the Aux battery as a backup. Easy to do...
A larger secondary battery added to the system can be done to replace the motor cycle one too but needs to be relocated

I'm quite familiar with working with this type of stuff. But not likely for me to throw out $2 k for that solution looking for the problem. Not that it's bad but not economically for me. Like many new vehicle products. Way over priced for what you get in many products now.
.................... Thread drift coming,................
As I have said in other threads, I do understand that they have to pay for R&D, stock, shop, employee ect but it's not like only one is being made and sold.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Probably just go with whatever Napa has to offer at the time...

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Probably just go with whatever Napa has to offer at the time...

Kevin
I always buy their top battery and so far, in my cars that sit much of the year, including several months over the winter and sometimes 3 or 4 weeks at a time in the summer - they've all lasted past their "warranty date". Had one in my Silverado and that truck often sat 3 or 4 weeks at a time (big truck, long and cumbersome to park) and it did just fine.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
AGM batteries are not suited for use under the bonnet, too much heat! They will work, but you will get less life from them. Lead acid is the way to go under the bonnet.
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion? I run AGM batteries in everything - Tractors, trucks, ATV's, Boats, etc. Being in Texas, we know warm running conditions and I get excellent service from AGM batteries (Mostly Odyssey, but some Northstar), with many lasting over ten years and none less than 7. With no need to add water, and no corrosion at the terminals, it's a no brainer for me in overall cost of ownership. I regularly remove brand new batteries from vehicles to replace with AGM due to several manufacturers (I'm looking at you Toyota, Ford and Polaris)batteries getting corroded terminals within 6 months.
BTW- AGM is lead acid technology.

Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion? I run AGM batteries in everything - Tractors, trucks, ATV's, Boats, etc. Being in Texas, we know warm running conditions and I get excellent service from AGM batteries (Mostly Odyssey, but some Northstar), with many lasting over ten years and none less than 7. With no need to add water, and no corrosion at the terminals, it's a no brainer for me in overall cost of ownership. I regularly remove brand new batteries from vehicles to replace with AGM due to several manufacturers (I'm looking at you Toyota, Ford and Polaris)batteries getting corroded terminals within 6 months.

Yes AGM is lead acid where the acid is held captive because it is absorbed into fiberglass or a glass mat, hence the name Absorbed Glass Mat ...

I have no idea where people get the idea that it is some different chemistry technology ...

The main purpose for the AGM is to make it more resilient and spill proof.

As far as replacing a battery because the terminals corrode, why not just coat the connection point with a petroleum product or corrosionx/acf50 to keep the oxygen reaction at bay ?

Id never replace an expensive new battery because of corrosion on a terminal ... Where is the logic in that ?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it is - very similar, venting to prevent gas escape that happens with standard batteries. The acid is held in "fiberglass" not free like flooded cell lead-acid. It is more controlled by the glass.

You must use the extreme version because AGM normal batteries do suffer diminished life due to heat because of the escape of water during venting. Higher heat - the vapors escape past the valves. (I think Odyssey says 170 degrees?)
The AGM is also more prone to reduced life due to incorrect charging - under or over charging - impacts them more than other batteries.
But if not exposed to extreme heat and if charged with a correct charger, always fully charged and not run below 50% they'll last a good long time because they will not lose the "water".
The AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation than your normal flooded cell lead-acid battery. I have a battery tender that helps with that for my cars since their use is erratic at times.
They are ideal for vehicles that may sit for periods like trucks not often driven or like in the case of my cars they'd last longer in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. They don't self-discharge as easily. Ideal for rough use, too (Jeeps, perhaps?)
The expense just isn't worth it for me and my cars as I can replace standard batteries cheaper if you do the math over say 15 years.
One nice thing - AGM charges faster than other batteries. So great for driving styles that include a lot of shorter drive cycles. I'd think they'd be ideal for the ESS system.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes AGM is lead acid where the acid is held captive because it is absorbed into fiberglass or a glass mat, hence the name Absorbed Glass Mat ...

I have no idea where people get the idea that it is some different chemistry technology ...

The main purpose for the AGM is to make it more resilient and spill proof.

As far as replacing a battery because the terminals corrode, why not just coat the connection point with a petroleum product or corrosionx/acf50 to keep the oxygen reaction at bay ?

Id never replace an expensive new battery because of corrosion on a terminal ... Where is the logic in that ?
LOL - no kidding. Even a product I've used on my car batteries for years helps. I use a product an electrician showed me years ago on some connections, No-Ox or something like that. It's a help, not total prevention on cars, it's made to prevent oxidation on terminals in your business or home electrical system in high moisture areas.
I clean things up, I don't throw them away.............

Nope - no sign of corrosion or fluffy stuff here -

Jeep Gladiator When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing? 20190509_145455_HDR

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I am able to re-purpose the OEM batteries in clay target throwers, sprayers and other menial tasks. You can coat the terminals, but the caps still leak. Replacing a battery cable on a modern Ford Super Duty Diesel is expensive and time-consuming. They all require maintenance and last 3 years or less. I can take a new truck, swap to AGM batteries, then go about my life for the next ten years without a a single thought given to the battery in it. That's my Logic in that.
Sponsored