First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
Wife driving the jeep, just got a notice 'exhaust filter nearing full safely drive at consistent speed to clear'. I guess this is saying it needs a regen or else it will go into limp mode. A few questions:
How long can it be driven without a regen before it goes into limp mode
How long does it need to be driven on highway to complete regen
Will the regen start immediately when I get onto the freeway? How do I know when it starts
How long will it take to complete regen?

Appreciate the help yall
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
It's been a while, but my ecodiesel on my RAM 1500 could be get through a regen in about 15-20 mins at highway speeds if I remember correctly.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
I still have not gotten one. How many miles do you have when you received the notice?

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also, if you need a regen, I'm pretty sure you can monitor it on the dash on one of the engine pages

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
Also, if you need a regen, I'm pretty sure you can monitor it on the dash on one of the engine pages
Thanks, will check when I get her back and see if I can find any info on the dash

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Here's what I have observed so far over less than 700 miles...

First I added a bluetooth OBD II reader and bought the OBD Fusion app for my iPhone. After searching through some posts by others using this configuration I was able to setup a nice screen full of "gauges" to monitor everything.

I'm at 684 miles as of writing this and I've been through 2 Active regens due to mostly city driving and I'm at around 75% soot load in my DPF. As I was monitoring this at the 2nd Active regen I watched as the soot load hit 80% the gauge went from 79.9% to 100% and the Active regen started almost immediately.

Since I was watching as it went into Active regen I just found a road I could drive ~65 mph and after about 10-15 minutes the soot level went down to 8%. During this time I watched the DPF inlet and outlet temps shoot well over 1000 degrees F.

The problem I see is if you aren't actively monitoring when the soot level gets to 80% and the engine goes into Active regen you might just park it not knowing it was happening which means the engine just dumped diesel fuel into the DPF to heat it up and then it didn't complete. So your soot level will continue to increase until you can drive a consistent speed for a period of 10-15 minutes.

Unfortunately there are no built-in gauges to show soot load in the DPF, you have to use something aftermarket.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
Here's what I have observed so far over less than 700 miles...

First I added a bluetooth OBD II reader and bought the OBD Fusion app for my iPhone. After searching through some posts by others using this configuration I was able to setup a nice screen full of "gauges" to monitor everything...
Here's a screenshot of the rudimentary gauges I setup before finding what some others had created.

This was during an ACTIVE regen meaning the regen status was 1 (only options are 0 or 1) and DPF regen type was 1 (0 means Passive regen)

Jeep Gladiator Exhaust filter nearing full 2021-01-25 09.16.27

OP
OP

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
Here's a screenshot of the rudimentary gauges I setup before finding what some others had created.

This was during an ACTIVE regen meaning the regen status was 1 (only options are 0 or 1) and DPF regen type was 1 (0 means Passive regen)
Looks like you have a good set up, I might have to get something similar.

I don't like how there is no way to monitor it, and a message can just pop up and say you need to spend the next 20 minutes doing something you hadn't planned on doing... wife was going to a doctor appointment...

So when she gets back and I hop in and I don't see any messages on the dash, am I supposed to assume the regen was completed? There isn't any way to tell... Either I have to drive it on the freeway for 20 minutes now or risk that next time I go somewhere the exhaust filter is full and it goes into limp mode

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
Looks like you have a good set up, I might have to get something similar.

I don't like how there is no way to monitor it, and a message can just pop up and say you need to spend the next 20 minutes doing something you hadn't planned on doing... wife was going to a doctor appointment...

So when she gets back and I hop in and I don't see any messages on the dash, am I supposed to assume the regen was completed? There isn't any way to tell... Either I have to drive it on the freeway for 20 minutes now or risk that next time I go somewhere the exhaust filter is full and it goes into limp mode
This is the least expensive way to go ... $40 for the BT OBD II adapter and $10 for the smartphone app. There is still some setup to do from there but it wasn't too hard to figure out. Then you know for sure what's going on with regens.

When she gets back and the message is gone, that means the Active regen was able to complete. Otherwise you definitely need to go drive it at a constant speed for 10-15 minutes so the regen can complete.

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For reference, I put 140,000 miles on my RAM eco and never went into limp mode because of regen. One time I picked it up from the dealership and had to go right to the highway because it went into the regen "zone" during their troubleshooting, but otherwise I guess I always had more than enough highway driving that it was never an issue.

OP
OP

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
For reference, I put 140,000 miles on my RAM eco and never went into limp mode because of regen. One time I picked it up from the dealership and had to go right to the highway because it went into the regen "zone" during their troubleshooting, but otherwise I guess I always had more than enough highway driving that it was never an issue.
Yeah mine has not had too much highway time lately due to working from home lately. Once life gets back to normal it should not be a problem.

OP
OP

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
This is the least expensive way to go ... $40 for the BT OBD II adapter and $10 for the smartphone app. There is still some setup to do from there but it wasn't too hard to figure out. Then you know for sure what's going on with regens.

When she gets back and the message is gone, that means the Active regen was able to complete. Otherwise you definitely need to go drive it at a constant speed for 10-15 minutes so the regen can complete.
Thanks, appreciate your comments

OP
OP

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer

ok so I just got into the Jeep and there isn’t any message on the dash. Wife said a message came on that the regen started but she was just driving in the city I know she wasn’t driving with consistent high RPMs (red lights, traffic etc). so I’m going to drive it for a while and see what it tells me

Also I forgot she took the Jeep to work Friday where she was highway driving for ~40 min so I guess it didn’t regen then because it was under the 80% filter full mark?

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
ok so I just got into the Jeep and there isn’t any message on the dash. Wife said a message came on that the regen started but she was just driving in the city I know she wasn’t driving with consistent high RPMs (red lights, traffic etc). so I’m going to drive it for a while and see what it tells me

Also I forgot she took the Jeep to work Friday where she was highway driving for ~40 min so I guess it didn’t regen then because it was under the 80% filter full mark?
If she drove long enough it's possible the regen was able to complete. Mine goes into Passive regen just about any time I'm above 30 mph or so which will typically only reduce soot level by a few percent depending on how long you drive. But if you're already at/above that 80% point from what I've seen it's going to go into Active regen until it's completed.

If she was highway driving on Friday and it was below 80% then it's just going to do a Passive regen. This happened to me yesterday, I started driving at around 72% in city driving and by the time I got the the gym it was at 75%. I drove a different way home that allowed me to drive ~60 mph for a little while and by the time I got back home it was back down to 71%.

Although I haven't been able to test this yet, I'm quite certain that with enough daily highway driving there won't ever need to go into Active regen as long as you're keeping soot level below 80%. This will save on fuel since the Active regen is dumping diesel into the DPF to get the temps up really high but is unavoidable if you don't drive highway enough.
Sponsored