First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
I heavily considered a ZR2 when shopping for my JT. A friend of mine has a diesel ZR2 and while it rides nice, the interior and age of the platform was what steered me away. It seemed dated, and too familiar (I wanted something different).
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
That said, a coworker got a stripper stick Gladiator sport. Parked next to my loaded sport, all I can say is...where did the extra ten grand go?
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator VS ZR2 1616074077868

What is 'loss leader pricing?'

Drives me nuts too. If I didn't want this truck to be my swiss army knife vehicle I would be seriously considering a sport instead of a nicely equipped Rubicon.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator VS ZR2 1616074077868

What is 'loss leader pricing?'

Drives me nuts too. If I didn't want this truck to be my swiss army knife vehicle I would be seriously considering a sport instead of a nicely equipped Rubicon.
Well your rubi is another $10k over my sport. I went with the sport to spend that $10k to get it how I want it. I don't do that hardcore off-road stuff anymore so really don't need lockers, or sway bar disconnect, 3.73 antispin with 4wd is enough, even let's me get to work most bad days without pulling the lever.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Well your rubi is another $10k over my sport.
Haven't checked these #s in a while - but a Sport S invoice starts at $35,858, Rubicon at $41,913. That's a difference of $6,055. The difference is only $4,935 if you get a Sport S Max Tow. Totally worth it to me.

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
I test drove a ZR2 Bison right before I test drove the JTR. The ZR2 was a low mileage one that was priced in the 30's, so would have saved me considerable coin, was quite well equipped, had a nice suspension and ride, but ultimately the JT put a smile on my face and felt unique to me so I picked it. No regrets.

Sponsored

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright
Wow, so much hate for the ZedR2! lol... I have a ZR2 right now, and I just ordered a 6-speed Mojave. I've enjoyed the Colorado just fine, guess I'm being too generous with my opinion of it? So it sounds like I'm gonna LOVE my new Mojave coming soon? Glad to hear that.
Coworker has a new Mojave and love's it, you will.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright
Haven't checked these #s in a while - but a Sport S invoice starts at $35,858, Rubicon at $41,913. That's a difference of $6,055. The difference is only $4,935 if you get a Sport S Max Tow. Totally worth it to me.
Thats great but I stickered around 46,600. Paid 40,800. I'd be curious to see what a similar equipped Rubi stickers for, they were 55 to 58 sticker when I purchased last may. I have everything but Max tow, Alpine, active safety, outfitter switches and leather (wish it had leather) glad Gator green is a one year color, but I think more than a few ended up in my area, have seen 4 besides mine, but none daily, lol.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Thats great but I stickered around 46,600. Paid 40,800.
Yeah it's only really a perfectly apt comparison when you're buying under invoice and not considering incentives that apply to every model other than a Rubicon.

Back to the ZR2 - it really comes down to price for me. The only reason I ever considered it was because it was cheaper. I've just had to realize that's not nearly a good enough reason to buy one. It would just be a comfy malibu to sit in while I drooled at every Jeep that passes me.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright
Yeah it's only really a perfectly apt comparison when you're buying under invoice and not considering incentives that apply to every model other than a Rubicon.

Back to the ZR2 - it really comes down to price for me. The only reason I ever considered it was because it was cheaper. I've just had to realize that's not nearly a good enough reason to buy one. It would just be a comfy malibu to sit in while I drooled at every Jeep that passes me.
Gm build quality and bland styling scared me off, same styling issues and 4cyl with the Ranger. I like my Jeep, it's my first, 2 minutes to get the 2 front panels off on nice days, really comfortable seats and the paint job is perfect, had the gator ceramic coated and seems to be holding up ok after almost a year. Getting 34" tires and MAYBE 1" FRONT LEVELING KIT. It's about the limit of my tolerance for getting it in the garage. Already plowed snow off the roof this winter pulling in

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I owned a ZR2 before my Gladiator Mojave. The ZR2 had better suspension than the Mojave does. Power is about equal. Interior is much better on the Mojave. Exterior styling is better on the Mojave. Offroad capability is better with the Mojave, even though it only has a rear locker and the ZR2 has front and rear lockers, because it requires a 4" lift to run 35s on the ZR2, and the Mojave can run 37s stock.

My ZR2 cost $10,000 less than my Mojave.
This is right on the money. I owned a 2018 ZR2 just before getting my Rubicon. The Z deserves credit where it's due. Great value (I paid 36k new) and great suspension/shocks. What sold me was the way it drove. That being said, 8 speed shutter is a big issue, archaic interior and small rear seat.

No need to hate though. They're not apples to apples. Plus, my sticker was 42k vs my Rubi's at 63k. There's a lot of mods 21k can buy lol.

Sponsored

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Thought I'd like the Colorado...but didn't dig it. They need a new interior engineer. Ranger wasn't a whole lot better.
Killer for me was that I haul adults in the back seat and no midsize really compared to the Gladiator (not that I needed much swaying).

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Me and a few buddies all happened to pick up Colorados at tue same time. I got a fully loaded Diesel LT crew cab, and they got the ZR2’s or a Denali.

They were quite capable trucks. Handily better than the Ranger and Tacoma which were priced higher, but didn’t quite have the same level of quality or comfort. It lacked advanced safety tech but the core was decent.

All in all my buds still all have theirs. I feel the Colorado makes a better taco than the taco. But once the arrival of the Gladiator hit, it truly put something different on the menu. The other 3 were just variations of the fleet service “small truck” gussied up. But the Gladiator is really a lifestyle first choice. It’s got more room, its got more style and after market options, and like others said, it puts a big damn smile on your face.

After 3 years and 80k on my Colorado, I wasn’t sad that it was gone, just indifferent. Tons of work done to make it mine and add more capability. While on paper it was a good value and had plenty of functionality, and served without fault, It just wasn’t fun.

And I have to hand it to Jeep. Usually the emotional choice is fettered with faults. But beyond the traditional “loud (convertable), thirsty (a heavy brick), and expensive (its a $1B Jeep)” It has yet to not deliver on the utility, fit and finish, or fun that I feel the truck and brand promised, or the premium price asked.

Best of all, in 10 years time, I expect the Glad to be just as relevant and desired as many of the Jeeps before it.

I think if you really only have “sport” money and don’t want anything too crazy, a ZR2 comes loaded up with convenience and luxury and a ton of chassis improvements to make it a super capable out of the box truck. But if you want something different, willing to put in the work, and/or fork over the coin, a Gladiator will be a much more versatile and fun choice.

733A1E24-964B-4679-BA12-C936AD7AF5BE.jpeg

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
This is right on the money. I owned a 2018 ZR2 just before getting my Rubicon. The Z deserves credit where it's due. Great value (I paid 36k new) and great suspension/shocks. What sold me was the way it drove. That being said, 8 speed shutter is a big issue, archaic interior and small rear seat.

No need to hate though. They're not apples to apples. Plus, my sticker was 42k vs my Rubi's at 63k. There's a lot of mods 21k can buy lol.

I gotta say, they had phenomenal chassis. I took the sway bar off and put in some fox coilovers, and that thing was still a beast. It just soaked things up, even potholes mid corner on the freeway, and it never once felt squirrelly or out of line. That and the full time transfer case (which is awesome that they put it on the Jeep now), a tuned diesel, and some stellar brakes made it just a beast in any weather or roads. Carving canyons without even thinking about it loaded with a RTT and all the gear and still managing 24mpg. It was impressive.

But yeah, there was no room in there for people or gear. And you want bigger than 33's... Hah! And I can't even get a sunroof?! Everything was black Tupperware plastics. Even the "leather" was all vinyl, save for 2 squares on the front seats. It was all supposedly there on paper, but I didn't see passion or aspirations in the final sum of the parts.

Fla2smoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2018 GX460
I traded an 18 ZR2 gasser for a 21 Willy's JT gasser in February. Have not missed it one bit. I had issues with leaking shocks ($1500 each) twice replaced under warranty and the dreaded transmission shudder (never fixed even after multiple flushes). The interior was ok, nothing special but easy to wipe down. Hated that any modification required serious work, for larger tires, winch, lighting, etc. I loved the capabilities of it stock. It felt like it made more torque down low but other than that nothing special. Price wise it was a good deal for the capabilities compared to anything else out there. I paid $39k sticker was $46k, I really grew tired of it faster than I thought I would. I started noticing oil stains on one of the shocks and it needed new tires at 51K, do I spend $3k for maintenance on replacing tires and either another future leaker or a set of kings or move on? I moved on and am happy with my choice.

OP
OP
dakota.morgan91

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
No hate intended! I understand the ZR2 is cheaper and is a wonderful value, I just REALLY thought I would love it when I checked it out, and really didnt feel any "emotion" twoards it. It was just an offroady appliance lol A GM fridge with a lift 😂
Sponsored