First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I really like the ZR2 our Safety boss bought in 2018. It's a nice truck, roomy, rides amazing, great AC, really a tough little truck. I feel like it hauls ass compared to my truck. HOWEVER - it's a hunting truck for him, fire roads and such, and he's never used the front locker that he's told me. Stock as the day is long, too - takes a giant lift to run 33's. I don't know they can even do the Taco trick of cutting things to get 35's. Meanwhile, stock JTR with 35's is parked at the same shop every day.....

Diff'rent strokes, isn't it good to be alive now?

Wow, so much hate for the ZedR2! lol... I have a ZR2 right now, and I just ordered a 6-speed Mojave. I've enjoyed the Colorado just fine, guess I'm being too generous with my opinion of it? So it sounds like I'm gonna LOVE my new Mojave coming soon? Glad to hear that.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
$54,890 sticker in June, paid $54,890 out the door. California taxes are about 10%.

I didn't want leather but glad I got it, after the fact.

Thats great but I stickered around 46,600. Paid 40,800. I'd be curious to see what a similar equipped Rubi stickers for, they were 55 to 58 sticker when I purchased last may. I have everything but Max tow, Alpine, active safety, outfitter switches and leather (wish it had leather) glad Gator green is a one year color, but I think more than a few ended up in my area, have seen 4 besides mine, but none daily, lol.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Max 5000lb towing capacity because they had to reduce radiator size to make a road truck with an approach angle the off road crowd wouldn’t laugh at. Seriously I think Chebby is becoming the Yugo.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
$54,890 sticker in June, paid $54,890 out the door. California taxes are about 10%.

$47k out the door, 7% tax, but did get undercoating, rustproofing and ceramic coated the paint (rust belt)

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
zr2 diesel was my second choice in the mid-size segment, i drove diesel and gas, the gas is sporty and quick, the transmission isn't as sorted as the pentastar 8-spd, the diesel was fantastic drive and transmission (gas/diesel use different transmissions) and the diesel had potential to uncork/tune which would bring the pep factor up i'm sure, it was comfortable as well

downside is reliability of the these trucks doesn't seem to be very good, so do more research on that

if the zr2 diesel offered a manual transmission i could be driving that instead of my lifted gladiator on 37's with 4.88's

the zr2 is by far a bargain in comparison, bang for buck champ, especially gas to gas comparison, the diesel i'm sure i would have spent some money in egr/def delete/tune and likely a slip tank in back for a 2500 mile range ;) and that would have brought me closer to what i built of a gladiator sport-s

lots to like, i could not turn away from the jeep/manual/solid front axle/basically a JL mixed with a ram 1500...lots going for it there, resale likely be much better, reliability likely much better etc.

3rd place in segment i had the honda ridgeline but while it is an impressively versatile vehicle it just doesn't offer enough offroad chops for this hunter/camper, the 2021 finally looks more truck like and has a knob for the radio so with the traxda 3.5" lift could maybe do it....if only a manual transmission was offered then that would really mess with my mind, now that i'm over a year with a manual jt on 37's with 4.88's and magnaflow side exit exhaust i can't imagine much competing, it's so much fun to drive, my smiles per mile i don't think could be maxed beyond what i have now

Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link

That is one thing I'm going to take a hit on when my lease is up. Trading up to a Mojave and going to get hit with that nice sales tax again.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
ZR2 is great IMHO if you want to drive it stock. if you want to lift it or do any serious mods (I mean ahem, besides cold air, mood changing lights etc) you need to do some serious work. That's great for some people. No prob with that. But getting 35s on up and meaningful increases in ground clearance is not easy in a ZR2. Where do I pay my $0.02?

AJG

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Me and a few buddies all happened to pick up Colorados at tue same time. I got a fully loaded Diesel LT crew cab, and they got the ZR2’s or a Denali.

They were quite capable trucks. Handily better than the Ranger and Tacoma which were priced higher, but didn’t quite have the same level of quality or comfort. It lacked advanced safety tech but the core was decent.

All in all my buds still all have theirs. I feel the Colorado makes a better taco than the taco. But once the arrival of the Gladiator hit, it truly put something different on the menu. The other 3 were just variations of the fleet service “small truck” gussied up. But the Gladiator is really a lifestyle first choice. It’s got more room, its got more style and after market options, and like others said, it puts a big damn smile on your face.

After 3 years and 80k on my Colorado, I wasn’t sad that it was gone, just indifferent. Tons of work done to make it mine and add more capability. While on paper it was a good value and had plenty of functionality, and served without fault, It just wasn’t fun.

And I have to hand it to Jeep. Usually the emotional choice is fettered with faults. But beyond the traditional “loud (convertable), thirsty (a heavy brick), and expensive (its a $1B Jeep)” It has yet to not deliver on the utility, fit and finish, or fun that I feel the truck and brand promised, or the premium price asked.

Best of all, in 10 years time, I expect the Glad to be just as relevant and desired as many of the Jeeps before it.

I think if you really only have “sport” money and don’t want anything too crazy, a ZR2 comes loaded up with convenience and luxury and a ton of chassis improvements to make it a super capable out of the box truck. But if you want something different, willing to put in the work, and/or fork over the coin, a Gladiator will be a much more versatile and fun choice.

733A1E24-964B-4679-BA12-C936AD7AF5BE.jpeg
Totally agree with this. I also had a Colorado duramax LT and put about 60k good miles on it. Very happy with my decision to get gladiator though

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I test drove a ZR2 a few months ago for s&g's. Not a bad truck but nothing spectacular. And I can't bring myself to own a GM product anyway.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
I like the ZR2, if staying stock it seems like a great truck at a bargain price for what you are getting. I also think that GM has great reliability (at least for me having owned a few). That said, if you want bigger tires on a ZR2 then you might as well get a gladiator. I also agree that gladiator interior is much nicer and a lifted gladiator on bigger tires looks a lot better too.

Sponsored

DRCRGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I never really saw much value out of the zr2 when I was shopping around, I guess it’s ok in stock form. But it’s 2021 and GM still isn’t putting led headlights/taillights on their top trim version of this truck? It’s almost a slap in the face to their customers dropping 40+ on a new truck to have to shop bulbs/lights when all of the competition is offering those things from the factory.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I love my Gladiator. Other than a Wrangler, there’s just simply nothing on the market like it. Even then, it has a bed in contrast.

I just got mine 2 weeks ago and I have 1150 miles on it due to my daily 84 mile round trip here in the Houston area (averaging just over 20mpg combined in light morning traffic and stop n go afternoon traffic). I just turned 26 and I’ve owned 3 trucks and 2 cars since the age of 16 (thanks oil & gas industry 🙏🏾). This Gladiator is JUST DIFFERENT and I’m about 99% sure I’ve found my vehicle for the next 10+ years.

Unfortunately I haven’t really taken it offroad other than a couple of easement trips on lunch break and Galveston beaches lol. Before I leave Texas next year, I’ll definitely be taking it to Big Bend though.

BUT to answer your concern, the ZR2 ain’t shit compared to the Gladiator in my (very humble) opinion. I felt dumb even test driving it in comparison to the Gladiator if I’m being honest. The only other midsize truck I think is comparable is the Tacoma TRD Pro/Offroad

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My brother has ZR2 Duramax and I have my Gladiator and I will say his truck is great. Ride quality is super comfortable and quiet, fuel economy is excellent and the price point is amazing for everything you get.

I did consider it, but my main turn offs on it were the infotainment, the interior and the lack of a manual trans.

They jeep excels in many aspects but so does the ZR2. Both are great trucks. But you can not beat the value you get at the price point. My brothers truck was 12k less than mine, and that’s with my employee discount and rebates. MSRP difference was close to 20k between the trucks which is crazy.
7DF711EB-7A3E-4D96-94F0-2CA26840588F.jpeg

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Anyone actually seen a $45k Rubicon? I’m starting to think they are like your friends girlfriend in middle school that he said was super hot and went to another school. I’ve never seen one, and I’m pretty sure it’s made up.

Last edited:

Sleighman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Vehicle Showcase
So this was my 2016 Colorado LT. I did the 1.5 level and put on 33's. It was a 4x4 without lockers just LSD and it was an excellent truck for 3 years. It would go places my old 2 Dr rubicon could go. Now I never got stupid with it but it was a very nice truck. I think the ZR2 is a nice truck but there is no comparison on the looks with a JT. My Willys with a 1.5 level and 34's.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator VS ZR2 Screenshot_20210327-220522_Cloud
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator VS ZR2 Screenshot_20210327-221124_Gallery
Sponsored