Sponsored

Gladiator Rubicon VS Colorado ZR2 Bison comparison at Moab (TFL)

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Why were the running lights flickering on the JT? I don't think it was just the way the were bouncing on the camera? I have seen this is a few other videos as well.
LEDs often use Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM) to regulate brightness. All that means is they cycle the power on and off rapidly. To your eye it appears to be a continuous (but dimmer) light, but a camera will catch some video frames when the power is on and others when the power is off. My guess is that these lights have a PWM driver.

You can test this by using your phone to take a slow motion video of an LED light. I did this with some overhead lights in my house, and I could see a strobe effect from some bulbs when I played it back.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I want the Gladiator to succeed and wipe the floor with its competitors. Im getting one. However, everything I have researched regarding reliably running 37s on Dana 44s, you simply cannot just lift and add 37s. If JLURs running 37s still need to beef up (prevention) / replace (premature wear) front steering components over a short period of time, I think circumstances with the Gladiator would be even worse due to its heavier curb weight.
There are tons of JLs running 37s or larger on stock axles without problems.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
ZR2 Bison looks like a real competitor until you find out it only has 31" tires and cost a ton as well as be too top heavy for 35s because of the tiny wheel wells.

Gladiator (Rubi) can handle 35s from factory and 37s with just a 2.5" lift. Sure larger tires are not everything but can't deny it is the best bang for the off roading buck.

Also was a winner picked?!? End of clip kind of just trailed off... title is misleading...lol.
Yes, a winner was picked. TFL indirectly chose the Chevy Bison. Roman from TFL changed his shirt from Jeep to a Chevy shirt at the end. He also mentioned he needed to give Chevy some recognition since the channel is an "equal opportunity" channel. They also both tapped the Chevy Bison.

I have a feeling they cannot directly state they would choose the Chevy Bison be cause they are, afterall, co-located with Jeep big wigs at MOAB for the EJS. They will continue to release their coverage of other Jeep concepts throughout the week so they need to continue to have access to the Jeep vehicles.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
JL has only been out for a year. However, one major JL YT channel already has to replace many of their steering components due to running 37s and... well, they were offroading their Rubicon a lot.

The video you posted of Lite Brite's channel also had to replace components already. Sure, they do extreme things with their Rubicon and naturally things will break. However, I wonder how fast their parts wear out is due to the heavier 37s on stock D44s/steering components?

I know same can happen on 35s but the more weight you add, the faster things wear out without reinforcements.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
OT ... will the JT bumper have the remove-able end caps like that as well? My guess is yes as its probably the same bumper but I dont recall see a JT with the end caps removed.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
OT ... will the JT bumper have the remove-able end caps like that as well? My guess is yes as its probably the same bumper but I dont recall see a JT with the end caps removed.
Yes, there was a picture of one at the Media day in Sacramento with the end caps removed. I think it was the white one if I recall.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Yes, there was a picture of one at the Media day in Sacramento with the end caps removed. I think it was the white one if I recall.
So you get the steel bumper & it will come with little end caps to cover the bumper ends when you take off the 'wings'?
Or do you have to order a 'stubby' bumper?

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
So you get the steel bumper & it will come with little end caps to cover the bumper ends when you take off the 'wings'?
Or do you have to order a 'stubby' bumper?
Look at the fog lights, see how the outsides edges are rounded? They are your new "end caps".

jeepdriva

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
I thought they were going to tell us which one they would spend money one???????

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU
Yes, a winner was picked. TFL indirectly chose the Chevy Bison. Roman from TFL changed his shirt from Jeep to a Chevy shirt at the end. He also mentioned he needed to give Chevy some recognition since the channel is an "equal opportunity" channel. They also both tapped the Chevy Bison.

I have a feeling they cannot directly state they would choose the Chevy Bison be cause they are, afterall, co-located with Jeep big wigs at MOAB for the EJS. They will continue to release their coverage of other Jeep concepts throughout the week so they need to continue to have access to the Jeep vehicles.
That is really vague and I don't think that is the case. He simply said, "...have to give Chevy some love..." then proceeds to praise the Jeep so I think you read more into it. Both are good trucks and believe the ZR2 will have better road manners but the JT will be much easier to modify into a more off-roading beast.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
Both are good trucks and believe the ZR2 will have better road manners but the JT will be much easier to modify into a more off-roading beast.
I have watched most of their videos for the past year. The channel does not make a statement at the beginning of the video that they will choose a winner... and then end the video without choosing. Throughout the video they kept referencing the price of the JT. For the price/price difference, they chose the Bison.

Personally, Im getting the JT and still deciding on which trim. I can careless what TFL chooses as I can make my own decisions.