Sponsored

Is there a documented top speed when running 4H Auto or 4H Oart-time?

Jimrf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Is there a documented top speed when running in 4H Auto or Part-time?
Sponsored

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I've had mine up to 65mph in 4hi. It was during the ice storm and forgot to take it out once I got out of a sketch area. no issues, but I wouldn't do it again if i were paying again.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Theoretically speaking you should be able to run all the way to the limiter in 4hi or 4auto. I wouldn’t worry about it in 4auto, but if the conditions you’re in warrant locking it in 4high then you probably should t be doing north of 95 mph.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Really? If you need to be in 4 anything you should be doing over any speed limits.
But 4 auto doesn't care a rip.
4H - if you need that you are really not long for this world if you are going over 65.
And if you are running 65 in 4H on a dry road, your truck isn't long for this world..........

Funny thing, there's another thread with almost the same name asking exactly the same question.

OP
OP

Jimrf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Is there a documented top speed when running in 4H Auto or Part-time?
Running in and out of heavy rain and potential slick roads and was wondering if I can keep it in 4H Auto between storms. Thanks for the responses. I now know I can run it in 4H Auto at highway speed.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Actually, I should clarify. I’ve done over 65 in 4hi on rough, potholed, washboard dirt roads. But that’s kind of what the Mojave excels at.

I’d never have tried that in any of my other Jeeps in the past, and wouldn’t have dreamed of it in my Ram 2500.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Running in and out of heavy rain and potential slick roads and was wondering if I can keep it in 4H Auto between storms. Thanks for the responses. I now know I can run it in 4H Auto at highway speed.
Absolutely! No problem at all with that.
That's why I WISH mine had 4 auto - our storms and our snows mean that it may be slick for 100 yards and then dry as a bone for 1/8 mile then a drift, then dry, then ice, then dry.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I should clarify. I’ve done over 65 in 4hi on rough, potholed, washboard dirt roads. But that’s kind of what the Mojave excels at.

I’d never have tried that in any of my other Jeeps in the past, and wouldn’t have dreamed of it in my Ram 2500.
But your wheels are slipping there - dirt, pot holes, washboard roads - the latter causing wheels to spin as they bounce off the road anyway.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Really? If you need to be in 4 anything you should be doing over any speed limits.
But 4 auto doesn't care a rip.
4H - if you need that you are really not long for this world if you are going over 65.
And if you are running 65 in 4H on a dry road, your truck isn't long for this world..........

Funny thing, there's another thread with almost the same name asking exactly the same question.
I had the same thought. If you need to be in 4H then you probably shouldn't be going 'fast' to begin with.

4 wheel drive isn't some magic traction spell that makes slippery things not slippery. It just helps find some traction when 1 or 2 other wheels slip. Lose traction on all 4 at once speeding, well good luck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same thought. If you need to be in 4H then you probably shouldn't be going 'fast' to begin with.

4 wheel drive isn't some magic traction spell that makes slippery things not slippery. It just helps find some traction when 1 or 2 other wheels slip. Lose traction on all 4 at once speeding, well good luck.
Oddly enough around here in the winter it's the 4x4 trucks and SUVs that slip off the road. Oh you see the 2 wheel drive cars, etc. - but over half of them I bet are front wheel drive and they feel they have more ability with those, but it's similar - you can go but not necessarily control it.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
But your wheels are slipping there - dirt, pot holes, washboard roads - the latter causing wheels to spin as they bounce off the road anyway.
Oh yeah, definitely a low traction situation. I was just adjusting my previous comment about there not being a situation where you should be at high speed in 4hi.

It’s not common, and even less common traditionally for Jeeps.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave
Oddly enough around here in the winter it's the 4x4 trucks and SUVs that slip off the road. Oh you see the 2 wheel drive cars, etc. - but over half of them I bet are front wheel drive and they feel they have more ability with those, but it's similar - you can go but not necessarily control it.
Here in Michigan too. Too many people who own AWD or 4X4 vehicles think they can go as fast as they want in any condition. You might have traction going forward, but you don't have any more traction when it comes to stopping.

One of the reasons I got the 4 Auto in the JT I ordered was the ability to "Set it and forget it."
Sponsored