Gladiator Expedition Rigs

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Seeing builds like this, it makes me wonder if I'd rather have the short (or I guess mid in this case) wheelbase with the fat ass or the longer wheelbase with a 40 degree departure. I think for an overlanding/expedition type rig, I'd want the latter to better distribute weight.
The Gladiator with a 137" wheelbase gets 'beat-up' on its breakover/departure angles only because it always gets compared to the JL. If it is compared to other 'in class' trucks it is superior,

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs midsize-compare

and that is with stock 33s. As you can go with 35s with no lift, it gets even better.

And with its other benefits Gladiators Rule :clap:
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs more-specs
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Seeing builds like this, it makes me wonder if I'd rather have the short (or I guess mid in this case) wheelbase with the fat ass or the longer wheelbase with a 40 degree departure. I think for an overlanding/expedition type rig, I'd want the latter to better distribute weight.
I've owned a few 4 wheel pickups and SUVs. The Gladiator gives me the best of both worlds. It's nimble enough to four wheel through the trees and over the rocks, and the wheel base and towing capacity can pull my tractor and toys. I max out the towing capacity and the long wheel base helps dramatically. If you want a scary drive, try pulling a boat with a CJ7 (not one of my smarter moments). All of this with a convertible top!

I just measured my departure angle at 35 degrees. That's with a 3.5" lift and 38's.

IMG_5375.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, it's time to experiment. Don't tell my wife but her salad bowl may not survive. I need to figure out how to make the corners of the roof top tent hard cover. I can bend the fiberglass panels over ribs to make the top and sides, but the panels are no good for the corners. I thought about foam corners, but the MEK in the polyester resin will melt the foam.

Here we go...

Wax a salad bowl and fiberglass the inside. I hope the fiberglass comes out. I will then cut it into quarters for the fiberglass corners.

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5383.JPG

IMG_5381 2.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

IMG_5386.JPG

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I've owned a few 4 wheel pickups and SUVs. The Gladiator gives me the best of both worlds. It's nimble enough to four wheel through the trees and over the rocks, and the wheel base and towing capacity can pull my tractor and toys. I max out the towing capacity and the long wheel base helps dramatically. If you want a scary drive, try pulling a boat with a CJ7 (not one of my smarter moments). All of this with a convertible top!

I just measured my departure angle at 35 degrees. That's with a 3.5" lift and 38's.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5386.JPG
I just look at this and see how much more I can shave off with a flatbed lol. I've wheeled nothing but Tacomas and and a Ranger as my personal vehicles so I'm used to the overhang but I've also never had a truck this capable - let alone with so little work.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Alright, it's time to experiment. Don't tell my wife but her salad bowl may not survive.
Wax a salad bowl and fiberglass the inside. I hope the fiberglass comes out. I will then cut it into quarters for the fiberglass corners.
Well now we know when you have the giant reveal BBQ, to stick with the burgers and ribs and pass on the potato salad :giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Tater salad anyone? Man it was hard to pop the fiberglass out of the bowl! I'm not sure, but it looks like I've got 4 corners.

IMG_5394.JPG

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Tater salad anyone? Man it was hard to pop the fiberglass out of the bowl! I'm not sure, but it looks like I've got 4 corners.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5394.JPG
I just found this thread, and I'm anxiously waiting for the final product. If only Jeep would design and build an extended JLU so we didn't have to go through all this. I'm 6'4", so sleeping in the back of a standard JLU is too short for me, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Maybe I missed it in the thread so far, but do you plan on having any sort of "flex" in your custom cap since the truck bed can move independently from the cab in off-camber situations, or are you just trying to design it strong enough to resist that?

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just found this thread, and I'm anxiously waiting for the final product. If only Jeep would design and build an extended JLU so we didn't have to go through all this. I'm 6'4", so sleeping in the back of a standard JLU is too short for me, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Maybe I missed it in the thread so far, but do you plan on having any sort of "flex" in your custom cap since the truck bed can move independently from the cab in off-camber situations, or are you just trying to design it strong enough to resist that?
I've got a few ideas for the flex.

1) Cut and add accordion/flexible trim between cab and back
2) Stiffen the frame, and don't cut the top
3) It's a secret, that I'm going to try before I do 1 or 2. Shhhh.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Since I have a plan for the corners, it's time to start planning/building the RTT hardtop. I needed the radius of the corners to start the design. The goal for the RTT was to make it as big as possible while still keeping the OEM look. The outer dimensions are right at 96" long by 52" wide. Looks like the upper bed will be about 48" wide by 75" long, and still leaves about an 18" wide opening to below. The standing room at the back will come in handy at night.

My first design had a lower RTT, but I think I'll make it taller (16"). The added height will make the camper very usable, even when the RTT tent is not pushed up. I imagine there might be some stealth camping at Walmart in the future. There's going to be some long road trips, on the way to beautiful sights.

The blue tape shows the outline of the Roof Top Tent. There is also a rough drawing of the rib/skin design. Wish I had a tube bender and welder for an aluminum frame, but I think I'll make the frame from wood. I'll glass the ribs to the skin like I did the bottom.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5397.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5399 2.JPG

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The best thing about building your own rig is that you can justify more tools! I always wanted a band saw.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5423.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5424.JPG
. It will come in handy cutting the wood ribs and fiberglass corners.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Starting to cut the 20 curved ribs. The spacers between the curves will be 1x2s.
E3D80A96-F988-432F-88D4-356F9E731345.jpeg

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a Dormobile interior. I like how open it is.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 39F6B359-B9B6-4638-A11E-EF334F42852C

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If my roof doesn't work out, I might have a backup plan from Dormobile.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 5.53.07 PM

Or buy a Land Rover 110 roof.

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 6.11.24 PM.png
Sponsored

Last edited: