Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I like this simple layout that keeps the bottom bed wider, has storage above with a fold down desk. It also has a slide out table and drawer under the right seat. It would be very functional for the bottom layout of a Gladiator.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.41.15 AM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.42.41 AM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.49.52 AM
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 11.50.02 AM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Christoferweld

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
The RTT hard cover will be the biggest challenge. It needs to be aesthetic, light, and strong. I might have to build a buck, then a mold to get what I want. This is going to take a while.
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.18.39 PM.png

[/QUOTE]

Nice work, going to look really good!

I started my build in late spring, slow going though...steel frame and aluminum panels/rtt enclosure.

The top is still missing in these pics, and still have to sew tent, wire elec/solar, plumb water tank (30 gal)+ HW heater and propane system..... it never ends!

Hope to have mine completed over next 3 - 4 months; looking forward to seeing your progress as well!đź‘Ť
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20210905_163303
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20210906_191545
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 20210906_175404

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Here was my concept back when I ordered my 2021 Gladiator Rubicon in August of 2020.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 221.JPG

A couple things that I wanted. Since we love to explore logging roads, forest service roads, and anything off the beaten path I wanted a capable Jeep Platform. The midsize truck can fit in places that full size cannot. I originally was looking for a tray and flatbed popup camper.

Then I found a used camper. And it changed my mindset on how easy it was to slide the camper out and have a truck - Jeep. Even when camping it is simple to slide off and on.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 131.JPG

Here were my thoughts.

1st. Was a slide in camper so that I can take it off and still go wheelin' with the boys. Or when exploring we could get the Gladiator stripped down for adventure.

2nd. Was to have something big enough for a dedicated sleeping area, standing headroom, and be able to cook in if the weather was really bad. I wanted it for (4)four season camping. It needed to be insulated, heated, and have a shower. And back when I ordered by Gladiator I did not do enough homework and thought that my payload was 1700 lbs. So I knew that weight would be a limiting factor. My payload is just under 1000 lbs. on the tire sticker and GVWR is 6450lbs. Partially Wet and with limited gear it scales at 7050lbs. Fully loaded I've scaled it at 7445lbs. But that is with the 22g water tank full, 6g hot water heater full, with groceries and all of our gear. "I would really be interested in seeing what all the other Overlanding Builds weigh out at."

3rd. It needed to be built well enough to handle wherever we dared try and drive to. The center of gravity needed be as low as possible. With the water tankage, fridge/freezer, house batteries, and the heavy stuff all low and to the front of the bed. On page 10-11 of the Owners manual it has the "ROLLOVER WARNING". The statement that the vehicle is NOT recommended for slide-in camper applications and VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS/ALTERATIONS is lumped together in the Higher Rollover Risk Warning. During one of our adventures we saw 23° on the side tilt gauge indicator. Yes, it puckered.

And here is the finished product.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 020.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 011.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 008.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 009.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 166.JPG

After showing some photos of the build, on social media, Truck Camper Magazine reached out to me and wanted to show it in their July issue. Here is a link to the Magazine article.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/extreme-rigs/jeep-gladiator-camper-goes-anywhere/

Weight is a factor and I have stripped everything that isn't needed. Like the rear seats and some stuff in the camper. We watch what gear we take. Only haul water when we know there will not be a source when we camp. And just keep track of anything that we really don't need to bring.

So far we love it!
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 001.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 003.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 081.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The RTT hard cover will be the biggest challenge. It needs to be aesthetic, light, and strong. I might have to build a buck, then a mold to get what I want. This is going to take a while.
Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.18.39 PM.png
Nice work, going to look really good!

I started my build in late spring, slow going though...steel frame and aluminum panels/rtt enclosure.

The top is still missing in these pics, and still have to sew tent, wire elec/solar, plumb water tank (30 gal)+ HW heater and propane system..... it never ends!

Hope to have mine completed over next 3 - 4 months; looking forward to seeing your progress as well!đź‘Ť

[/QUOTE]
Great looking build and I really like the spare location. Keep us updated with build photos. I can tell you put a ton of thought into it! Love to see the interior and tent when done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here was my concept back when I ordered my 2021 Gladiator Rubicon in August of 2020.

A couple things that I wanted. Since we love to explore logging roads, forest service roads, and anything off the beaten path I wanted a capable Jeep Platform. The midsize truck can fit in places that full size cannot. I originally was looking for a tray and flatbed popup camper.

Then I found a used camper. And it changed my mindset on how easy it was to slide the camper out and have a truck - Jeep. Even when camping it is simple to slide off and on.

Here were my thoughts.

1st. Was a slide in camper so that I can take it off and still go wheelin' with the boys. Or when exploring we could get the Gladiator stripped down for adventure.

2nd. Was to have something big enough for a dedicated sleeping area, standing headroom, and be able to cook in if the weather was really bad. I wanted it for (4)four season camping. It needed to be insulated, heated, and have a shower. And back when I ordered by Gladiator I did not do enough homework and thought that my payload was 1700 lbs. So I knew that weight would be a limiting factor. My payload is just under 1000 lbs. on the tire sticker and GVWR is 6450lbs. Partially Wet and with limited gear it scales at 7050lbs. Fully loaded I've scaled it at 7445lbs. But that is with the 22g water tank full, 6g hot water heater full, with groceries and all of our gear. "I would really be interested in seeing what all the other Overlanding Builds weigh out at."

3rd. It needed to be built well enough to handle wherever we dared try and drive to. The center of gravity needed be as low as possible. With the water tankage, fridge/freezer, house batteries, and the heavy stuff all low and to the front of the bed. On page 10-11 of the Owners manual it has the "ROLLOVER WARNING". The statement that the vehicle is NOT recommended for slide-in camper applications and VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS/ALTERATIONS is lumped together in the Higher Rollover Risk Warning. During one of our adventures we saw 23° on the side tilt gauge indicator. Yes, it puckered.

And here is the finished product.

After showing some photos of the build, on social media, Truck Camper Magazine reached out to me and wanted to show it in their July issue. Here is a link to the Magazine article.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/extreme-rigs/jeep-gladiator-camper-goes-anywhere/

Weight is a factor and I have stripped everything that isn't needed. Like the rear seats and some stuff in the camper. We watch what gear we take. Only haul water when we know there will not be a source when we camp. And just keep track of anything that we really don't need to bring.

So far we love it!

You've got me drooling to get my rig done! I love the layout and the full pop up length. I might copy your campers pneumatic pop up design with two cylinders front and back. Does it work well? It seems really large in the interior, with all the comforts we need. Nice Zebra print to tie it all together. Great job!

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You've got me drooling to get my rig done! I love the layout and the full pop up length. I might copy your campers pneumatic pop up design with two cylinders front and back. Does it work well? It seems really large in the interior, with all the comforts we need. Nice Zebra print to tie it all together. Great job!
The struts in the back are to take some of the load when popping up the top. I have a couple different ones depending on how much gear is going on top.
Another weight saving DIY was the Lolo bike carriers. I cannot see any since in a 30-50lb bike rack.

19DAD0F2-7AE7-473E-94B9-ECDA444FBF0C.jpeg

36879D75-BA0F-479E-936F-EDA10ECB35DE.jpeg

98F31B74-37F8-46B1-8E91-45008B66978A.jpeg

DFC24BA2-481E-4822-B112-997A6E28B27B.jpeg

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Starting fiberglassing the interior ribs to the shell today. Remember to wear gloves, that resin is sticky!

AA58B50A-516D-4C9B-8054-1504B4E6C55E.jpeg

C0830FAD-7B23-45ED-B9E8-88758D3B485D.jpeg

6B583AF8-94D5-494E-BA1E-2EBE6ADA5289.jpeg

0349F192-76EA-4870-BE69-CD50B4D05468.jpeg

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Starting fiberglassing the interior ribs to the shell today. Remember to wear gloves, that resin is sticky!

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs 0349F192-76EA-4870-BE69-CD50B4D05468

Keep up the great work. Are you a boat builder?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not a boat builder, but the ribs and skin seem like a good way to get the curves I wanted and build in strength for the top. And I don’t have all the sanding from a foam build.

I’d like to use the same technique for the Roof Top, but I might have to use foam for the corners.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Quite a bit easier to glass the underside of the top when flipped over. I’m guessing it weights about 150 lbs.

E7835139-DF1A-438B-A783-93A25396EF43.jpeg

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some thoughts on fiberglassing.

Use compatible materials, glass and resin. I choose marine grade polyester resin and a bi woven fiberglass. Although the bi woven worked pretty good, I think a mat would have conformed to the corners better.

Do multiple small strips instead of larger pieces. You will struggle trying to get large pieces of fiberglass to go around intricate parts. Cut the fiberglass before you start mixing batches of resin. You're sticky gloves will make a mess, if you try much cutting later.

Mix small batches like 5 oz of resin at a time for intricate work. I found out that 10 drops of MEK per ounce of resin gave me the time I needed to do the work.

Use disposable plastic drop cloth, gloves, chip brushes, cups, and stirrers. Life is too short to try to clean up resin.

If you get a big bubble that you can't get out either live with it and you can cut it out later, or just pull off the whole fiberglass Matt/cloth and start over.

Good luck.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5363.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5365.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5366.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5368.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5369.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Expedition Rigs IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5372.JPG

Last edited:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Seeing builds like this, it makes me wonder if I'd rather have the short (or I guess mid in this case) wheelbase with the fat ass or the longer wheelbase with a 40 degree departure. I think for an overlanding/expedition type rig, I'd want the latter to better distribute weight.
Sponsored