37” tires on Sport S a good idea??

Phidelt83

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP gladiator
I’m thinking of picking up a set of 37’s for my Sport S. Tow package and 3.73 gearing. Can it handle it? I’m assuming I will need to lift it a bit. What would the recommendation be? A full lift or a spacer kit? It is my DD and sees very little off-roading, mostly dirt trails after it rains to get some mud on it. Not looking to spend a ton so budget is a concern. Pics of your similar setup would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

TNJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
CONS:
1. You will notice loss of power and take off.
2. It will not tow as well.
3. You will lose mpg.
4. It will rub35s rub when max flexed and fully locked so 37s certainly will rub if they will fit at all. There are several threads on here about what tires will fit stock.
5. 37s are hella expensive
6. Stress on drivetrain but you will probably be fine if not off roading. Otherwise, axles, drive shaft, front joints will be more likely to fail but not absolute.

Pros:
1. You will gain an inch of clearance which is negligible since you don't off road.

On paper, that is what the decision looks like.

OP
OP

Phidelt83

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP gladiator
CONS:
3. You will lose mpg.
4. It will rub35s rub when max flexed and fully locked so 37s certainly will rub if they will fit at all. There are several threads on here about what tires will fit stock.
6. Stress on drivetrain but you will probably be fine if not off roading. Otherwise, axles, drive shaft, front joints will be more likely to fail but not absolute.

Pros:
1. You will gain an inch of clearance which is negligible since you don't off road.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and educate me!

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
No. I have a Sport S. I am running Rubicon take offs and a Terraflex spacer.
With 35s I regeared to 4.88. I am 6,000 feet above you. I rubbed at full flex and I wheel a lot.
You may be able to live with 35s in Florida.
33s were very livable.

65395462664__47310FCA-78BC-49F4-B439-955BB9EB77F5.jpg

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
You missed a pro: 37s look amazing on a gladiator.

So you need. 3-3.5” lift. If you can afford it, Clayton and Metalcloak have budget lifts that are very high quality. They are not spacer lift cheap. Rehearing will cost you around $1600. So it’s something you can always do down the road. Although, the gladiator is going to feel sluggish with your gearing.

For the best value setup, I would find a rubicon suspension take off for sale. You can usually buy it for a few hundred bucks. Then do 35s. You can also drop in some spacers on top of the rubicon lift. I’ve got a 1.5” up front and 3/4” in the rear. Gives the gladiator a nice presence.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
He is right. On all of this. But for the budget, Rubicon takeoffs and 35s are the way to go.
I DD mine and I find 35s very livable. Just reflash for the new tire size with a Tazer or the like.

You missed a pro: 37s look amazing on a gladiator.

So you need. 3-3.5” lift. If you can afford it, Clayton and Metalcloak have budget lifts that are very high quality. They are not spacer lift cheap. Rehearing will cost you around $1600. So it’s something you can always do down the road. Although, the gladiator is going to feel sluggish with your gearing.

For the best value setup, I would find a rubicon suspension take off for sale. You can usually buy it for a few hundred bucks. Then do 35s. You can also drop in some spacers on top of the rubicon lift. I’ve got a 1.5” up front and 3/4” in the rear. Gives the gladiator a nice presence.

OP
OP

Phidelt83

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP gladiator
He is right. On all of this. But for the budget, Rubicon takeoffs and 35s are the way to go.
I DD mine and I find 35s very livable. Just reflash for the new tire size with a Tazer or the like.
Good to know. I was thinking 35’s originally but got sidetracked with 37’s and was wondering how that would work. I think the 35’s with a rubicon suspension plus maybe a slight spacer lift may be the best option from what was mentioned above.

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
Are you an auto or manual? You will also lose 8th gear on the freeway, and likely never see 7th anymore. If you go over an overpass it will downshift to 5th to make it up the “hill.”

Reference: I’m on 3.73 and 35’s so 37s would only be worse.

So- definitely do it because 37s look awesome. I wish mine weren’t warrantied for 50k miles because I’d jump on some too. Mine is lifted and makes 35s almost look small.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
If budget is a concern I would highly recommend not doing it

New 37" tires and wheels will be well over $3k, not to mention the lift needed to fit them. Then there's the huge drop in mpg that will hit your wallet when you're filling up every 200 miles.

Get some Rubicon/Mojave take-off 33s and a tazer to correct the speedometer.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
I went with a narrow 35. 11.5x 35.
That and the fact that it is a MT it looks aggressive and fantastic.

Good to know. I was thinking 35’s originally but got sidetracked with 37’s and was wondering how that would work. I think the 35’s with a rubicon suspension plus maybe a slight spacer lift may be the best option from what was mentioned above.
IMG_8525.jpg

35s.jpg

Sponsored

Boostnu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep gladiator
Occupation
Machinist
If you don’t plan on regearing I would also recommend 35s. I ran 35s for awhile and they weren’t bad. Then I went to 37s and ran them for about a month before the regear. It was somewhat driveable by somewhat I mean It was a lot more sluggish and the jeep really didn’t want to get out of 5th and 6th gear. Even on the interstate I wasn’t seeing 7th and 8th very much. Here’s a couple pics of mine on the 35s then 37s.
Jeep Gladiator 37” tires on Sport S a good idea?? BEEA95A1-221F-428F-AD9A-935914006C69
Jeep Gladiator 37” tires on Sport S a good idea?? 27BEE2F9-AA6C-4729-A121-17AF65B4D34B

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
35s on my factory 4.10 gears isn’t even really ideal. There’s no chance I’d want 37s on the stock gears.

I’ll be moving to 4.88 when my 35s wear out and I replace them with 37s.

TooChill4

First Name
Teo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator JT
Vehicle Showcase
Everybody is going to have there own opinion on what you should do and what looks good, but it's a personal choice.

The set up on my Sport S with the stock 3.73 gearing are 37s on the manual tranny which I've been running for over 20k miles and still have 6th gear on the highway, but you'll spend most of your time in 4th. I've towed my VW Westfalia, Cabriolet and wife's Dodge Nitro on a tow dolly for many miles with no issues. Real world MPGs Is at about 18ish.

I'm in the DC area and have driven all over the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and a couple road trips down South.

As previously mentioned, you'll need at least a 2.5" lift, you could get away without lifting it if you have an after market front bumper, but you'll be rubbing on every speed bump.

I'm running some 37s on 20" Grand Cherokee wheels with a 3" lift. Not everybody's cup of tea, but hey I like it and I get tons of compliments... - op

20210511_132614.jpg

20211016_121852.jpg

20210502_115419.jpg

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
CONS:
3. You will lose mpg.

Pros:

Another Pro the amount of pussy you'll be swimming in. Make sure your wife and gf dont mind..

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
You'll need a small lift for the 37's. You'll also want to refresh the computer with a super chip or tazr. This updates the computer with the tire size and your shift points won't be all out of whack. You'll still feel sluggish compared to stock until you regear.
Sponsored