Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There is no draw while waiting of it is connected right the tuenon power is connected to the wakeup power that goes to the cluster radio and dome lights, then the feed power is connected straight to the battery.
I assumed that but - did not know for sure, so......... that makes sense that they'd be "dead" until receiving a hot signal from the truck's normal wake-up call.
My wife has asked me about getting a set for my truck - it's getting harder and harder for her to hop in with her knee issues.

It uses the wiper motor out of an F250
The wiper motors I restore for Fords - the earlier motorcrap, the overload protection was in the switch and the motors had plastic gears. Fools that bypassed the wiper switch could fry their wiper motor. I have to assume these are the much later ones.
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
2010 or so. I was thinking of buying another pair of motors and loading them with a light synthetic grease to see if they would do better in this weather we are having right now

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have broke my back twice now, so I know all about the need for steps. It is a requirement. These are a perfect step up, about the best ergonomics I have had for getting in a truck

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have rockslide and love them. They do, however, get a bit finicky under 30 degree weather. Not sure you will have that problem in arizona? I just turn them off when it gets super cold.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have broke my back twice now, so I know all about the need for steps. It is a requirement. These are a perfect step up, about the best ergonomics I have had for getting in a truck
Thanks for the thoughts on these things. My wife almost fell over when I told her they'd be almost 2 grand, on the other hand, it is pretty much our daily driver now and she does struggle with it and with her handicap arms, handles are only a bit helpful.

I can tell you the grease used in wiper motors pre-2000 was the sort that after a while would set up almost like a paste wax or similar. I've dug it out of countless wiper motors over the years and I use a white lithium grease in them. I've never had a failure. Since these are only running for a short time each time they operate you never would get grease even "warm" let alone hot so you want something that doesn't stiffen up. White lube stays put and would stay "soft" even in cold weather. It must be used in outboards as the last time I bought some I had trouble finding my favorite brand (Siloo) and bought some from a boat shop down in Florida.

Funny the talk of wiper motors (OFF TOPIC ALERT! OFF TOPIC ALERT!) I just got a call from a buddy I've done restoration services for - he's found himself a rare AMX and is refreshing it and asked if I'd do the wipers, starter and all that stuff. He showed a guy that runs an automotive restoration shop a few miles away some of the work I've done and that guy now wants me to do the wipers and other electric stuff for cars he restores. I'm trying to slow down, doggonnit. I'm supposed to be retired! (I think retired only means tire again, though)

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the thoughts on these things. My wife almost fell over when I told her they'd be almost 2 grand, on the other hand, it is pretty much our daily driver now and she does struggle with it and with her handicap arms, handles are only a bit helpful.

I can tell you the grease used in wiper motors pre-2000 was the sort that after a while would set up almost like a paste wax or similar. I've dug it out of countless wiper motors over the years and I use a white lithium grease in them. I've never had a failure. Since these are only running for a short time each time they operate you never would get grease even "warm" let alone hot so you want something that doesn't stiffen up. White lube stays put and would stay "soft" even in cold weather. It must be used in outboards as the last time I bought some I had trouble finding my favorite brand (Siloo) and bought some from a boat shop down in Florida.

Funny the talk of wiper motors (OFF TOPIC ALERT! OFF TOPIC ALERT!) I just got a call from a buddy I've done restoration services for - he's found himself a rare AMX and is refreshing it and asked if I'd do the wipers, starter and all that stuff. He showed a guy that runs an automotive restoration shop a few miles away some of the work I've done and that guy now wants me to do the wipers and other electric stuff for cars he restores. I'm trying to slow down, doggonnit. I'm supposed to be retired! (I think retired only means tire again, though)
My guess is rockslide is buying some sort of Dorman like knock off wiper by the cartons. To your point, I bet they are using the old valvoline special in a can, looks like bagbalm. There are a number of wide temprange greases now that synthetics are prevalent. Just finding the time to repack wiper motors seems like it may be down on the priority list. Maybe if I quit internetting lol.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
Rockslide steps when retracted or deployed use no power. If the step hits something like your leg or a rock, the current sensor in the driver will turn the step off. They are independent of the vehicle electronics. A manual switch is used to lock the step in the up or down position.
If you turn off the step in the down position the LED lights turn off. Otherwise when the step in down position the LED lights stay on.
Other brands are designed to interface with the vehicle electronics and that is bad.
I have had both Amp and Rockslide and I know how both work and Rockslide is way better.
Two Jeeps with Rockslide and a Ford with Amp. My first Rockslide was Gen 1 it and had issues as did Gen2. I now have Gen3 on that rig now and I think they have perfected it. Never had to pay for any of the fixes. Gen3 is several years old with no new fixes.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My guess is rockslide is buying some sort of Dorman like knock off wiper by the cartons. To your point, I bet they are using the old valvoline special in a can, looks like bagbalm. There are a number of wide temprange greases now that synthetics are prevalent. Just finding the time to repack wiper motors seems like it may be down on the priority list. Maybe if I quit internetting lol.
Rockslide steps when retracted or deployed use no power. If the step hits something like your leg or a rock, the current sensor in the driver will turn the step off. They are independent of the vehicle electronics. A manual switch is used to lock the step in the up or down position.
If you turn off the step in the down position the LED lights turn off. Otherwise when the step in down position the LED lights stay on.
Other brands are designed to interface with the vehicle electronics and that is bad.
I have had both Amp and Rockslide and I know how both work and Rockslide is way better.
Two Jeeps with Rockslide and a Ford with Amp. My first Rockslide was Gen 1 it and had issues as did Gen2. I now have Gen3 on that rig now and I think they have perfected it. Never had to pay for any of the fixes. Gen3 is several years old with no new fixes.
Can regular ole users get upgrades or do we have to spend thousands on a new set of steps?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, those are a grand higher than I told my wife last year when I looked at the others. No way she'd go that. Last time I looked the "other brand" was under 2,000.

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
On topic, but not on those two brands. I’ve been contemplating the Rolling Big Power RBP-510-SP power steps. I like the dual motor design and how they articulate. I also think they look better (IMHO). Anyone have any experience with them? Thoughts?

https://shop.rollingbigpower.com/products/rbp-510-sp

Sponsored

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
Rolling power unit looks similar to AMP which means if you live in cold country the step will be full of snow and Ice like the AMP. This is because it just hangs down and does not fit close to the body.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Those white wheels kinda make it pop.
many years ago, I had a white Celica, brand new, ultra white. I added the white wheels and yes, looks like a million bucks. Originally I wanted a white JT, and then, gaining the wifes approval for another vehicle for recreation, she suggested Red, and since the last trucks I had were also red, by choice, I jumped at the approval, and I like it, but I'm still very partial to the white. Enjoy! and see you on the trails at some point.

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
Rolling power unit looks similar to AMP which means if you live in cold country the step will be full of snow and Ice like the AMP. This is because it just hangs down and does not fit close to the body.
Luckily I’m in an area that only gets snow once or twice a year. Lots of rain, but minimal snow. That said, I would like to venture out into the white stuff for fun more than I do now too, so it is something to consider. Just hard to swallow the Rockslide price that is nearly double the RBP.

Out of curiosity, are the Rockslide’s fully enclosed on the back, or open?