Freeway Travel with Doors off

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Anyone done any freeway traveling with the doors off. I have mine off and I don't really want to put them back on currently but I have to drive into the office. Its a 50 mile drive each way on the tollway. just curious from others who may have done such.
Sponsored

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Agreed it's loud. I carry cheap in-ear plugs cause after about 20mins at 60mph+ my ears do hurt. I don't care how dumb I look.

Besides that it's great. Keep legs/feet in cause rocks and bugs hurt. Drive more defensively then you normally would cause you have much less protection.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Just stripped the doors last night for the week, I do 20miles each way on I40 east of Little Rock.
Heavy truck traffic.
-If earplugs (recommended), use the foam ones so the wind isn't whistling through the string or rubber stem.
-Anything below 75 degrees F will freeze you after 20m or so; wind breakers make a big difference.
-Ball Caps will NOT stay on your head; don't try it. Beanies work good.
-Sunglasses might not stick around, either...
-Make sure you have a solid mirror solution, and are used to it. I like my KikBax mirrors with foot pegs.

All in all, keep in mind.... its probably still safer than a motorcycle, but an 18wheeler tire blowing out next to you can now be a problem you've never had to think about before.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Do it all the time. Love it. I carry my mopar cab cover for when it's parked and have rain.
Lock your center console and glove box etc.

Cold is not bad with heated wheel and seats. I have done some 30-40 degree mornings.

They are all correct. It's loud. You will not hear the stereo.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do it all the time. Love it. I carry my mopar cab cover for when it's parked and have rain.
Lock your center console and glove box etc.

Cold is not bad with heated wheel and seats. I have done some 30-40 degree mornings.

They are all correct. It's loud. You will not hear the stereo.
Yea if I make a go of it I will have my rain gear cover in the bed under the bed cover. Didn't think about the ear plugs. I am in Safari mode right now with just the two front doors off. I may leave a bit earlier and travel the feeder roads for a bit and then jump on the freeway when needed. I have some Jpeggs mirrors I use.
Didn't think about the ear plugs but I have hearing aides so maybe if I turn then way down that will be workable. If not will put some ear plugs in the truck just in case

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have anything on the dashboard or loose even in floor it can and will blow out. I've took many 300 plus mile road trips in my LJ with out doors and top. Frozen my ass off more than once, got caught in rain storm for few hours more times than I can remember. So keep a jacket, fleece hat and pants not just shorts. This is in SE too, sun down at any speed can get really cold especially if it rains. I'm planning on driving my LJ in to work tomorrow morning with out top n doors, 57 miles one way.
And don't trust a magnet mount for cell phone.... I know very well and a bee or wasp up shorts sucks too. ;)

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
It's all part of the Jeep Brand Experience. :CWL:
I drove in a hail storm once. No top, no doors.
I still want a Badge of Honor for that experience.

Don't have anything on the dashboard or loose even in floor it can and will blow out. I've took many 300 plus mile road trips in my LJ with out doors and top. Frozen my ass off more than once, got caught in rain storm for few hours more times than I can remember. So keep a jacket, fleece hat and pants not just shorts. This is in SE too, sun down at any speed can get really cold especially if it rains. I'm planning on driving my LJ in to work tomorrow morning with out top n doors, 57 miles one way.
And don't trust a magnet mount for cell phone.... I know very well and a bee or wasp up shorts sucks too. ;)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's all part of the Jeep Brand Experience. :CWL:
I drove in a hail storm once. No top, no doors.
I still want a Badge of Honor for that experience.
Nothing like driving at midnight no top or doors and have something crawl across a bare leg. ;)
But after being a 11B riding around in a 998 Hummer's in 9th INF. my miss spent youth aftert Big Army took our motorcycles and FAV's AKA the dune buggies the SF guys had in Desert Storm.
:like::like::like:

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Snake in Jeep should also be a Badge of Honor

Jeep Gladiator Freeway Travel with Doors off 1652107796569

Nothing like driving at midnight no top or doors and have something crawl across a bare leg. ;)
But after being a 11B riding around in a 998 Hummer's in 9th INF. my miss spent youth
:like::like::like:

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea I keep most everything put away when I am running without doors. its hot as hell here in Houston right now so no worry's about freezing. My 67 design phone holder keeps it tight. Should be interesting

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
One time in 28 years of driving. I was living in Chicago and one went on the Stevenson (I-55 to you non Chicagoans.)
So the odds are low. Weird shit happens.

But when was the last time you saw a truck actually blow out a tire?

Kevin

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Yea if I make a go of it I will have my rain gear cover in the bed under the bed cover. Didn't think about the ear plugs. I am in Safari mode right now with just the two front doors off. I may leave a bit earlier and travel the feeder roads for a bit and then jump on the freeway when needed. I have some Jpeggs mirrors I use.
Didn't think about the ear plugs but I have hearing aides so maybe if I turn then way down that will be workable. If not will put some ear plugs in the truck just in case
Funny you mention the hearing aids. I turn mine of when I open the Sunrider and windows. Earplugs are probably a good idea for highway- you don't want your hearing getting WORSE!
Sponsored