Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
But when was the last time you saw a truck actually blow out a tire?

Kevin
Well I've seen it as of last week. Some of the tires I've seen on vehicle's people are driving can be quite scary. I've seen tires worn though the steel belts to the point of blowing out. Quite often around Huntsville area.

Yea I keep most everything put away when I am running without doors. its hot as hell here in Houston right now so no worry's about freezing. My 67 design phone holder keeps it tight. Should be interesting
👍 kydex press and made my own phone holder.
Yes you are in the humid armpit of TX, my sister, two of her kids my and a good friend of mine adopted daughter live there.
FYI: you know of any good places camp near there?
Sponsored

Jade330i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator / 2016 Sahara / 1974 CJ5
Yep. Drove from Charleston to, SC to Savannah, GA this morning. Mid-50°F. It was colder than I liked but wore a light jacket; no issues. Kept the heater vents pointed towards my steering wheel for my hands. Road noise isn't that bad IMO. I had a podcast playing the whole-time w/o issue. The drive back this afternoon should be more pleasant.

Edit: Whenever I take the doors off, I do put my "bar doors" on. They do provide me a sense (maybe false) of some security.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Funny you mention the hearing aids. I turn mine of when I open the Sunrider and windows. Earplugs are probably a good idea for highway- you don't want your hearing getting WORSE!
Yea I usually have to turn them way down or pull them with the top off.

terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Sales
One thing I tend to wear is a leather motorcycle jacket and gloves. With that I am good into the 50's and I will also turn on the seat and wheel heaters if necessary.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I've seen it as of last week. Some of the tires I've seen on vehicle's people are driving can be quite scary. I've seen tires worn though the steel belts to the point of blowing out. Quite often around Huntsville area.

👍 kydex press and made my own phone holder.
Yes you are in the humid armpit of TX, my sister, two of her kids my and a good friend of mine adopted daughter live there.
FYI: you know of any good places camp near there?
There's not much around the city itself maybe around the Sam Houston State Park area there could be some campgrounds. Usually I am going down to South Texas but the places I camp at I access via kayak. Think you can camp over at San Luis Pass. Drive your Jeep on the beach to your spot and set up camp. But you might have to double check me. I think Texas Parks and Wildlife has a place also down in Galveston you can set up camp

Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Pick your poison! LOL

1B25AD62-8B15-4755-B7F8-46F40D9B5F6C.jpeg

49F5E3A2-18CA-4701-A931-A73D6FEE1428.jpeg

gecko_rubi

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘81 CJ-5, ‘05 LJ, ‘21 JTRD
Occupation
Architect
Drive both jeeps top/doors off in So Cal traffic with usually freeway trips to the beach, work, etc. It’s not that bad. I like the tire/road noise with the wind and music playing. I keep raincover tops in both mainly just to protect my interior - only takes one bird crapping on your driver seat to learn that lesson.

tom.mary.glad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 3.6L, automatic with max tow
Just stripped the doors last night for the week, I do 20miles each way on I40 east of Little Rock.
Heavy truck traffic.
-If earplugs (recommended), use the foam ones so the wind isn't whistling through the string or rubber stem.
-Anything below 75 degrees F will freeze you after 20m or so; wind breakers make a big difference.
-Ball Caps will NOT stay on your head; don't try it. Beanies work good.
-Sunglasses might not stick around, either...
-Make sure you have a solid mirror solution, and are used to it. I like my KikBax mirrors with foot pegs.

All in all, keep in mind.... its probably still safer than a motorcycle, but an 18wheeler tire blowing out next to you can now be a problem you've never had to think about before.
Magnetic "clip-on" sunglasses definitely do NOT stay. I learned the hard way. Cross winds claimed mine.

ShawnwFL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Willys Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Jeep fleece and a Jeep cap I keep in the back. Below 60 outside and you’ll need a jacket of some kind on freeway, gets chilly quick with the wind, above that it’s fine.

Baseball cap may, or may not, be needed depending on hair length. I have three setting on tightness. Normal, Jeep around town, and freeway.

It’s not so loud that you need earplugs but with a lot of crosswind it will overpressure your ear on big gust, uncomfortable but not painful. For long drive it may get annoying.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
But when was the last time you saw a truck actually blow out a tire?

Kevin
Full size 3/4 ton Dodge van blew the front tire right next to me in tight Miami traffic, we were 80+MPH and I was driving a 78 911 Targa SC, basically ear level with the tire, grabbed a lower gear bye bye van...........

Road Gator on Florida's beautiful highways, no problem in Jeep, truck, Lowered BMW big front ground effects like jumping a mountain!!!

Growing up in a beach town no problems, maybe a little rain,

nowadays, doors offer some protection, but driving I4 with the 95-110MPH psyco's when traffics moving good at 80MPH, not much will help,

top down 50/60 degree wet cool, weather hats jacket etc,

Sponsored

HappyRed

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Doors off highway driving is part of the
experience for sure. While I have children and the back doors stay off, the front doors not so much.

I really suggest ear plugs, we can still hear a lot through the bones in our face, so I find it easy to still listen to music.

I’ve never lost a hat, I do tighten it a little more then I normally do and keep the brim pointed down a little more then I normally do.

A jacket might be required, I alway keep a hoody and a jacket (plus hair ties of the wife) in the Jeep at all times.

Anything not in the console or in the glove box has the potential to get lost

ps you can drive on the highway with no doors in the rain (with a soft top up) and still stay pretty dry.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/153374/scientists-explain-more-detail-hear-bones/

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
Just spoke with another JT owner this weekend who was talking about this specifically. If you have a hardtop, make sure all of the bolts are on, and tightened down. He had the freedom panels and doors off, and his hardtop went airborne on the interstate because all of the bolts on his new JT weren't on.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just spoke with another JT owner this weekend who was talking about this specifically. If you have a hardtop, make sure all of the bolts are on, and tightened down. He had the freedom panels and doors off, and his hardtop went airborne on the interstate because all of the bolts on his new JT weren't on.
Its the soft top and I have it in safari mode right now with the soft top closed and the two front doors off
Sponsored