Freeway Travel with Doors off

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Just driving highway speed with the freedom panels off is enough to make me pull over and put them back on. Maybe it's better with the doors off, but I kinda doubt it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I generally avoid higher speeds when I can. I'd rather take a longer route to work.
That was my thought I just take feeder roads where possible and then just jump on the freeway when its necessary

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I just had my doors off for the last 6 weeks until Friday.

It's loud, and windy, but you get used to it

I wouldn't want to go too far though, it beats on you

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Just driving highway speed with the freedom panels off is enough to make me pull over and put them back on. Maybe it's better with the doors off, but I kinda doubt it.
It's worse with the freedom panels off only as compared to the whole roof off with doors on

Fully naked though? It's gnarly

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Don't have anything on the dashboard or loose even in floor it can and will blow out. I've took many 300 plus mile road trips in my LJ with out doors and top. Frozen my ass off more than once, got caught in rain storm for few hours more times than I can remember. So keep a jacket, fleece hat and pants not just shorts. This is in SE too, sun down at any speed can get really cold especially if it rains. I'm planning on driving my LJ in to work tomorrow morning with out top n doors, 57 miles one way.
And don't trust a magnet mount for cell phone.... I know very well and a bee or wasp up shorts sucks too. ;)
You reminded me of riding doorless/topless with my now wife 25+ years ago in our first wrangler. She opened the glove box at 60mph and I was treated to the sight of a whole stack of DQ napkins swirling down behind us🤣

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Just spoke with another JT owner this weekend who was talking about this specifically. If you have a hardtop, make sure all of the bolts are on, and tightened down. He had the freedom panels and doors off, and his hardtop went airborne on the interstate because all of the bolts on his new JT weren't on.
All of the bolts were loose? All 8 of them? Wow! Did he just forget to tighten them down when he put the top back on? Or did the factory forget?

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Try opening the back window, if you haven't already. It really quiets it down. Also, the Jeep is way quieter with the whole top off than with just the freedom panels off. Counter-intuitive, but true. With the doors and roof off, the tire noise is the loudest part, not the wind. And not just your tire noise, but every car on the road.

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
Anyone done any freeway traveling with the doors off. I have mine off and I don't really want to put them back on currently but I have to drive into the office. Its a 50 mile drive each way on the tollway. just curious from others who may have done such.

I routinely take the beltway from North Houston to Sugar Land with the doors off. It's a little intimidating at times but most of the time, traffic is moving so slowly that it makes no difference.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
It's loud but that's mainly when you're traveling at freeway speeds.

Since growing my hair out hats no longer stay put. No wind, just bending over, it'll slide off my head. So I've had to resort to headbands and beanies (along with some sort of glasses.)

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I routinely take the beltway from North Houston to Sugar Land with the doors off. It's a little intimidating at times but most of the time, traffic is moving so slowly that it makes no difference.
Yea I will be going from Katy to JFK area.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's loud but that's mainly when you're traveling at freeway speeds.

Since growing my hair out hats no longer stay put. No wind, just bending over, it'll slide off my head. So I've had to resort to headbands and beanies (along with some sort of glasses.)
Not enough hair to need a hat

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had my doors off for the last 6 weeks until Friday.

It's loud, and windy, but you get used to it

I wouldn't want to go too far though, it beats on you
Been having the doors off but usually only go maybe max 20 miles or so but if I take it to work it will be 50 each way on the freeway unless I stick mostly to the feeders

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
While we're on the subject... I almost made a thread about this hat but stopped myself.
In the fall & early spring, I fight the mental battle of how cold I will suffer in the morning to enjoy the gorgeous afternoons.... my limit is around 55-60 degrees, properly bundled.
I can do 55 with my waxed Carhartt, but a wool beanie just doesn't break the wind very well.

Enter: the Filson equivalent of a "jeep cap".

This thing breaks the wind, won't blow off, is wool lined and stays warm, keeps wind out of you rears, keeps sunglasses in place, and doesn't look as silly as a WWI leather aviator's helmet (trust me, I've considered it).

Pricey? maybe... but ya'll will spend $130 on Spider Shades at the drop of a hat, so why not a jeep accessory for the glove box that's always there?

Tin Cloth Wildfowl Hat (filson.com)
11060063_DarkTan_alt_01.jpg

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Been about 80-85 with the doors off solo. liked it. wife was in the truck about 55 with the doors off and she said never again. She rides in the back over 35mph if I have my front doors off.

The volume of the air rushing around really seems to kick it up a notch past 65ish like an on/off switch. 65 and lower I wouldn't bother with earplugs, but as soon as you hit that 70 mark they are a good idea.

definitely have my head more on a swivel than normal. I'm a pretty observant driver who is constantly scanning, but no doors it's a new level.

as other have said, make sure you don't care about music while you drive

Beanies are the only hats you can keep on.

Strong cross winds have come so incredibly close to taking my sunglasses clean off my face I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. I try to only wear my sunglasses with the old man neck holder when off doors highway now, but i don't always remember.

My guess is if you love doors off on shorter drives, you'll love it on longer drives too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
But when was the last time you saw a truck actually blow out a tire?

Kevin
I've seen the remains twice in the past month. One time right in wheel paths of the lane I was in so I moved over to straddle it (no one was beside me)

Funny you mention the hearing aids. I turn mine of when I open the Sunrider and windows. Earplugs are probably a good idea for highway- you don't want your hearing getting WORSE!
It's almost always so windy here I have concerns about my glasses blowing off. The sunglasses that go over them won't stay on. Hearing aids come out and get locked in console.
The cross-winds actually take your breath away now and then.
Sponsored