First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
All of the bolts were loose? All 8 of them? Wow! Did he just forget to tighten them down when he put the top back on? Or did the factory forget?
He said 6 bolts were in, but did not elaborate if it was his wrong doing, or the factory.... I was too caught up in hearing the story, and forgot to ask.
Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
Coming from a lifted TJ my JT is a million times better doorless and naked on the highway! At 45mph and lower I can easily hear and talk on the phone hands free. Yes, stock the stereo could be louder but I can hear until about 80mph. Yes the not so smart me did take his brand new 6speed gladiator up to 110mph the first time I was doorless on the highway! I was not at all ready for this lol! I passed another vehicle on the highway and all of a sudden bells rang and the engine hit the limiter! I immediately slowed down laughing my but off as the Jeep settled into a sedate 75mph. Sorry I'm used to losing steering above a struggling 75mph in my TJ. I regularly take the doors and roof off for day trips up to the white mountains or to the cape or wherever. So nice being able to drive on the highway at normal vehicle speeds vs struggling to stay @ 70mph in the right lane.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
All the time. .....lately. Only issue is this.

cowboy hat ....a no go at highway speeds. Around town A Ok.
baseball cap ....better choice for prolonged highway travel

Enjoy the nice weather.

Sponsored

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Freeway Travel with Doors off 1001F218-9083-4207-BC41-39196E042606

“This thing breaks the wind, won't blow off, is wool lined and stays warm, keeps wind out of you rears…”

Did doesn’t look long enough to keep the wind out of my rear.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On the subject of ear plugs... stored in plastic tray on dash, tray is velcro'ed to dash that keeps stuff from leaving from left side of dash.
Jeep Gladiator Freeway Travel with Doors off 16521432616984620388167966538299

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Been about 80-85 with the doors off solo. liked it. wife was in the truck about 55 with the doors off and she said never again. She rides in the back over 35mph if I have my front doors off.

The volume of the air rushing around really seems to kick it up a notch past 65ish like an on/off switch. 65 and lower I wouldn't bother with earplugs, but as soon as you hit that 70 mark they are a good idea.

definitely have my head more on a swivel than normal. I'm a pretty observant driver who is constantly scanning, but no doors it's a new level.

as other have said, make sure you don't care about music while you drive

Beanies are the only hats you can keep on.

Strong cross winds have come so incredibly close to taking my sunglasses clean off my face I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. I try to only wear my sunglasses with the old man neck holder when off doors highway now, but i don't always remember.

My guess is if you love doors off on shorter drives, you'll love it on longer drives too.
Was on the freeway this evening at about 65 not big issues but only went about 10 miles. Crosswind was bad though and could really feel that. Noise level was not to bad but the freeway was not that heavily packed like is in the morning during rush hours

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Oh man… just wait till you can feel it… I love having everything off…. Well on the jeep that is… although… wearing shorts on a hot day, kicking the leg out and having the wind hit ya up the leg… woooooo! Lmao.
But we bought our Jeeps to have that open feeling and I’ve been doing it since my 1st jku in 2013. I’m headed to Moab next week and it’s gonna be perfect open weather

FE116268-C403-47B2-9910-3BCDB36E627C.png

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Earplugs? Are you serious? Idk, maybe it's just me? I dont think it's that much noiser than having all the windows open. I'm in my upper 40s and I dont mind the doors and top off at 55 degrees lol. Of course I'm in a hoodie but I never get cold easily. I always enjoyed the open feeling of a motorcycle and a convertible of some sort.

I've driven 120 miles to DE beaches and back all highway and I enjoyed every mile. But i do have a question that pertains to this, what happens if you get into a accident and you have to get your car towed and you have your doors and hardtop off??? Most dont store your car in a garage, right? They usually park it outside in the parking lot. Are you responsible to somehow get the top and doors back on to protect it from the rain?? Obviously, if it's a major accident it will be totaled but a lot of us have aftermarket accessories that may not be covered by insurance companies. Just a thought, anyone ever had that happen to them???

Sponsored

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
The only thing I have to add is if you have an emergency roll of TP under the backseat it's very possible that it will unravel and turn itself into a streamer. Paper towels too, though not as embarassing.

arjeeper

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave Gladiator
I’ve done it for hours at a time in many of my Jeeps over the years.

its loud and you might arrive feeling a little beat up from the wind, but it can also be a lot of fun.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
They are all correct. It's loud. You will not hear the stereo.
Do you have the "speed adjust volume" option turned on in the stereo? Having that at 2 or 3 really boosts the audio.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Ok, so like several people said, ear plugs and good mirrors are definitely the way to go. I will say however, under no circumstances should you lock your console or glove box, that's juts inviting damage to your truck. Those are plastic and can easily be defeated by anyone passing by with anything they can use to wedge in there and pry or just pulling hard enough with their hands.

When I've got my doors and/or roof off I have things either locked in my console vault or back behind the rear seats. The storage behind the rear seat is nice because that will be 1 hell of a job to get in there if you lock the seat to the anchor. I have all my truck's documents/insurance back there along with a battery jumper. I keep other small electronics and my gun if I can't take it in with me somewhere stored in my vault in my console. I'd suggest at night taking everything out of the vault and leaving it unlocked too. No real reason to give someone the impression that there's something worth stealing.

Someone said use foam earplugs instead of reusable but I use a reusable pair that someone else on here recommended a few years ago and they work great. Never any whistling and they fit great. They come in a little aluminum tube that is water/dust proof so they stay as clean as you put them away. Also, something a bit odd, I've noticed I can hear my music when I'm wearing these too, even at 60MPH at around 15-20 volume.

My Tuffy console vault:
https://www.amazon.com/Tuffy-348-01...56------------&vehicleName=2022+Jeep+Wrangler

My Lange Coyote mirrors (I love these things, rock solid and stable):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085Z3699Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My earplugs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K18KSNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Earplugs? Are you serious? Idk, maybe it's just me? I dont think it's that much noiser than having all the windows open. I'm in my upper 40s and I dont mind the doors and top off at 55 degrees lol. Of course I'm in a hoodie but I never get cold easily. I always enjoyed the open feeling of a motorcycle and a convertible of some sort.

I've driven 120 miles to DE beaches and back all highway and I enjoyed every mile. But i do have a question that pertains to this, what happens if you get into a accident and you have to get your car towed and you have your doors and hardtop off??? Most dont store your car in a garage, right? They usually park it outside in the parking lot. Are you responsible to somehow get the top and doors back on to protect it from the rain?? Obviously, if it's a major accident it will be totaled but a lot of us have aftermarket accessories that may not be covered by insurance companies. Just a thought, anyone ever had that happen to them???
I find it much, MUCH louder with the doors off rather than just the windows down. Top off is louder than windows down, doors and top off is very loud. I travel on the highway with cars and 18-wheelers going 60+ around me. Cars/trucks with anything more aggressive than highway A/S tires are loud. 18-wheels are even louder, sometimes to the point of pain. Going under a bridge/overpass is also incredibly loud.

If you have to drive through a tunnel at speed I can't suggest earplugs enough. I did this in Hawaii through several tunnels and didn't have my earplugs as I was on vacation and in a rental Mustang convertible. It was instantly a wincing, trying to crane my head closer to my body, intense pain for my ears. They hurt so bad after that I had to close the top any time I was going to cross the island and go through the tunnels.

I realize a lot of people in here are saying they don't wear earplugs but even if you don't realize it (or think you're too manly?), you're still doing real damage to your ears. Those of you that have hearing damage already should know better than everyone else that you should protect what little you have left. The amount of noise that is needed to damage your hearing more isn't linear to the damage you have already, meaning that if you can't hear well it doesn't take noises that are louder to damage your hearing more than what they would be for me with normal hearing.
Sponsored

Last edited: