Sponsored

Reverse mullet. Party in the front, business in back. SUNRIDER PICS - Post Yours!

kilroy173

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Tj, Gladiator Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
How loud is it compared to the hard top? Quadratec lists it for $800, seems like a lot for a little convenience of half a soft top.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
How loud is it compared to the hard top? Quadratec lists it for $800, seems like a lot for a little convenience of half a soft top.
I always thought it would be silly to spend $800-$900 on one myself. All one has to do is just pop off the freedom panels. But last summer, it seemed everytime I’d take the panels off, it would start raining! Kinda got to be a pain for me. So last time they had a rebate going, I decided to bite the bullet. I am very pleased I did. Now all I do is pop the latches and throw it back. If it rains, pull it back down. When I get where I’m going, if no big wind, I’ll just pull the top back down without latching so birds don’t doody in the seat, and when I come back out, throw it open again. I’m really enjoying this better. It is a bit loud when closed, but not enough to bother. Not any great amount worse than the panels, in my opinion.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I always thought it would be silly to spend $800-$900 on one myself. All one has to do is just pop off the freedom panels. But last summer, it seemed everytime I’d take the panels off, it would start raining! Kinda got to be a pain for me. So last time they had a rebate going, I decided to bite the bullet. I am very pleased I did. Now all I do is pop the latches and throw it back. If it rains, pull it back down. When I get where I’m going, if no big wind, I’ll just pull the top back down without latching so birds don’t doody in the seat, and when I come back out, throw it open again. I’m really enjoying this better. It is a bit loud when closed, but not enough to bother. Not any great amount worse than the panels, in my opinion.
Sounds like you'd really enjoy a full soft top at that point! Any reason you didn't go for that, or is the hard top just what it happened to come with when you bought it?

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
The Sunrider is so awesome it deserves a thread. Post your Sunrider pics here in rad places! I just installed mine so nothing inspiring yet.

Jeep Gladiator Reverse mullet. Party in the front, business in back. SUNRIDER PICS - Post Yours! A56A1F9F-A42D-49E2-ACBE-CECE039C73D4

Jeep Gladiator Reverse mullet. Party in the front, business in back. SUNRIDER PICS - Post Yours! A56A1F9F-A42D-49E2-ACBE-CECE039C73D4
Very nice! Just curious - are the latches are hardware all Mopar branded? I remember you saying you didn't want the Bestop logo everywhere.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't wrap my mind around $800 for it, when you can get a whole soft top from rugged ridge for less.

But it seems that the only thing that sucks about the sun rider is the price. Everyone who owns one loves it.

As far as I perceive it, having the freedom panels off or the sun rider back is as good as having the whole top off. Its open as far as you can perceive. Its too bad for the folks in back. Ha.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I think they look odd, especially with a painted hard top. I'll go ahead and commit to the 30 seconds it takes to put the freedom panels on, and keep my $800.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
I can't wrap my mind around $800 for it, when you can get a whole soft top from rugged ridge for less.

But it seems that the only thing that sucks about the sun rider is the price. Everyone who owns one loves it.

As far as I perceive it, having the freedom panels off or the sun rider back is as good as having the whole top off. Its open as far as you can perceive. Its too bad for the folks in back. Ha.
I mean, the jury is still out on if the Rugged Ridge softtop is any good in the first place, and it's also well over $900 last I saw. I get your point though.

I found a Sunrider for $650 last year, and I don't regret a single dollar of it. No the freedom panels aren't that hard to operate, but when you compare:
  • Having to undo 3 latches (x2)
  • Having to get out of the vehicle
  • Lifting the panels over the sport bar without losing hand-hold or banging the panel on anything
  • Storing the panels in a bag, or in the rear of the truck
  • Having to do all of that in reverse if the weather takes a turn for the worse
To:
  • Two latches
  • Flip it open
The case makes itself.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Can't see spending $800+ for half a top, never understood these. Like 15 seconds to throw the freedom panels back on. Just my opinion on it. Almost as bad as a full soft top on a JT but still better because at least you don't get the full man bun look.

Jeep Gladiator Reverse mullet. Party in the front, business in back. SUNRIDER PICS - Post Yours! bun-hairstyles-for-men-418092-21-man-bun-styles-of-bun-hairstyles-for-men

Jeep Gladiator Reverse mullet. Party in the front, business in back. SUNRIDER PICS - Post Yours! 6218292E-62C9-474F-8D9A-AD4E9A06905F

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean, the jury is still out on if the Rugged Ridge softtop is any good in the first place, and it's also well over $900 last I saw. I get your point though.

I found a Sunrider for $650 last year, and I don't regret a single dollar of it. No the freedom panels aren't that hard to operate, but when you compare:
  • Having to undo 3 latches (x2)
  • Having to get out of the vehicle
  • Lifting the panels over the sport bar without losing hand-hold or banging the panel on anything
  • Storing the panels in a bag, or in the rear of the truck
  • Having to do all of that in reverse if the weather takes a turn for the worse
To:
  • Two latches
  • Flip it open
The case makes itself.
In April RealTruck, a vendor on this site quoted me $750 for the RR top minus a $100 rebate for a total cost of $650.

If I could get a Sunrider for $600, I'd probably do it.

Though in my case the Sunrider is worth less for 2 reasons.

1) I have a topper on the back. So when the freedom panels are off, I have them with me in case of a pop up rainstorm.
2) I have a garage. So I don't put the panels back on at night. They are off now and if my garage weren't so freaking crowded I'd have the doors off too. Its supposed to be nice and hot for the next 5 days in the Northeast.

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like you'd really enjoy a full soft top at that point! Any reason you didn't go for that, or is the hard top just what it happened to come with when you bought it?
Honestly, I did not like the look of the soft top when I first saw them. The hard top seemed a bit more “streamlined” looking to me. As time has gone by, and if for some reason I decided to trade for another Gladiator, I would get the soft top. But since I do have a hard top, this was a good solution for me. Plus, I have only taken the hard top off once, and that was to install headliners in it.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th

The $800 has been the tough spot for me.
I just picked up a used one for my wifes Wrangler for $350 and even that was a bit hard to justify.
IMO IF you have to have a hardtop, these are a great option.
They are less "open" than just removing the panels and "feel" much less open than the soft top I have on my JT.
What I do like about it is how quick and easy it is to open and close.
I dont like that it has further complicated the removal of the hard top.

It is quite a bit noisier than my soft top, I will re-install the panels for road trips.
I think it is a good fit for the Wrangler where the remaining hardtop still has many benefits (side windows, rear hatch and wiper).
I would NEVER swap my soft top JT for a hard top with one of these.

Jeep Gladiator Reverse mullet. Party in the front, business in back. SUNRIDER PICS - Post Yours! 20220409_141807

Jeep Gladiator Reverse mullet. Party in the front, business in back. SUNRIDER PICS - Post Yours! 20220409_141757

Last edited:

MDPensFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator JTO, 2017 Grand Cherokee
I haven't taken mine anywhere cool yet, but I'll take a few when we head down to the Smokies in July. For those that don't think the Freedom panels are a pain or have a garage to park their JT in, that's cool. But I don't think you'll find many Sunrider owners that won't say it's well worth the money.
Sponsored