First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Im seeing a surprising amount of waves in far western CT...

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Here in NE Ohio waves are getting pretty rare. I'd estimate less than 50%. I did notice a drop in waves driving a Gladiator vs. my previous JKU. I still feel if you don't wave, you just don't "get" what it is to own a Jeep. I also agree with previous members that Jeep is partly to blame having monetized the Jeep wave.

Sponsored

injaneer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I’ve put on a little more than 4,500 miles since May 1, mainly on a run from OK4WD in Jersey to Florida’s treasure coast via the Blue Ridge Mountains, then back up to Long Island and Upstate NY by way of I95, with a side trip to Southern Pines NC.

Leaving aside the big interstates and any other divided highways, I made a point of waiving at every Gladiator or Wrangler I saw coming the other way. I tracked results in pretty close to real time, and here’s what I got for waves back …

Florida (mostly Vero Beach) — 8 for 54
South Carolina — 12 for 16
North Carolina (both Blue Ridge coming down and Southern Pines region heading up) — 28 for 31
Western NJ — 0 for 8
NY (Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk) — 4 for 59
NY (Finger Lakes and Rochester) — 15 for 41

Add to these highly scientific findings the fact that a dude at a Dunkin’ Donuts outside of Statesville NC called me “my brother” and comped me on breakfast at the drive thru, and I’ve got to say the Carolinas rocked this thing. I’ll definitely be looking for more wheeling trips there. I’d think about relocating, but I’m guessing the nicest thing a New Yorker can do for folks down there is not move in!
Wilmington NC here, yes we would appreciate you not move down, but if you do you had better wave.

My wife is from New York, so rant is over.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I haven't counted, but I'd say, unscientifically, about 90% wave around here in south central Pennsylvania/Western Maryland. We have a JT and a JKU (and a TJ before that), so I'm not dissing JKs, but most of the non-wavers seem to be in JKs. YJs and TJs seem to wave the most, followied by JL/JTs, and the occasional CJ, when you see one on the road still.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
I live in Barnegat NJ, 10 minutes outside most of the major wheeling destinations for our state. It's wild down here, anything "built" will wave and get waved at. I've been waved at by souped up Tacomas, Land Rovers, some guy in a riced out Evo gave me the shaka, and I have no problem shooting a thumbs up to a well-built Bronco. 90% of the stock Wranglers/Gladiators though don't wave at all.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
I would say it's 50/50 here in Central Florida( Cocoa Fl ).
I'd go 30/50 the whole areas getting worse, there's the ones that wave, the ones that look at you like "are you really waving to me" then there's " the I don't see you group" but there's a whole bunch going "why are these people waving at me"

Sponsored

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
I get 85 % here on the Gulf Coast of Florida.. Wranglers and Glads and a few older Cherokees every now and then. And NC people waving is normal, they do the
"Hello Neighbor" to everyone. I visit Murphy NC often, and everyone waves out of habit =)

Stupidjerkface

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Production Manager @ Seadek marine products
I'd go 30/50 the whole areas getting worse, there's the ones that wave, the ones that look at you like "are you really waving to me" then there's " the I don't see you group" but there's a whole bunch going "why are these people waving at me"
Yeah I generally drive by the same few jeeps in the morning. Probably why I get a good number of waves back hahaha. The closer I go to Orlando or the beach it definitely seems to be less returned.

MDPensFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator JTO, 2017 Grand Cherokee
It's about 60% or so around where I am. I don't bother waving at females in JKs, they never wave or don't know about it.

"I’d think about relocating, but I’m guessing the nicest thing a New Yorker can do for folks down there is not move in!"

That might be the most self-aware statement I've ever heard from a NYer! :LOL:

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
Western PA is probably about 60-70%. I try to wave to everyone, even on divided highways. I've waved to Jeeps while driving my wife's Equinox. I hope they understand that its easy to do once you spot one on the road, no matter what you are driving!

Its funny, I pass the same Gladiator (Gator Rubicon) going to pick up my kids twice a week, in the same place around the same time. I always wave, and she never waves back. So I kinda gave up, and of course out of no where, yesterday she caught me off guard with a wave. Maybe some people come around?

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Like 25% of cars on the road are Jeeps now. (obvious exaggeration)

I don't even notice most of them, or care, it's just an suv for taking the kids to school now, ever since the 4 door JK came along.

The wave used to be a little recognition that the guy going the other way was also kind of a nut job sacrificing street-ability for his go-anywhere shitbox. Even when the TJ was new it wasn't nearly as common to see on a daily drive, it was kind of an event seeing one. I know a couple people who bought one new off the lot and got rid of them within the first year, they just weren't for everybody. It was more niche.

I mean, if somebody waves at me I'll wave back, it doesn't matter what they're driving. I'm just exhausted from everybody thinking I need to recognize their mall crawler choice.

tldr: I'm the problem :LOL:
Sponsored