First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
Finally installed mine yesterday. I will say I am so far impressed with the build quality of these. The locks (as of now) are smooth. As some stated I’m looking forward to seeing how they handle the elements.
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch D2EA4B03-2D71-475D-9E49-C63C4D066312
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch A68B75C5-FD65-4A4E-BDCF-338B242D896E
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 55D1D08A-2723-42C6-935F-48828F1EA93E
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 4F2D9002-56DD-4809-AAE5-0020DE64C2FF
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Curious how the finish will hold up. Someone dunk one in some salt water and let us know if it rusts all to hell.
I know your post isn't totally dead serious, maybe a bit tongue-in-cheek? Can't see if you are smiling or not........ but my responses generally seem to come across as extremely serious so I'll preface the following with the above ;-)

Actually, oxygen is needed so dunking won't be the best test.
Have someone run the ASTM B117 salt fog or salt spray test.
That's how finishes like the plating I do are evaluated.
The yellow zinc I do has a salt spray resistance of up to 200–250 hours to white rust.

Anyway, all seriousness aside - Austin has a great question! How is the finish, and how long would it hold up to Jeep use?
So far, I'm impressed by the reviews of the installation, fit and lock function. Finish is my next thought.

Also - maybe I missed it, but the stock non-locking factory latches are a simple over-center thing just like the latches I put on the rear of my factory tonneau cover to prevent it from being opened when the tail gate is locked. Any detail - perhaps a shot or two of how these grab? Can they be used to latch and not lock, such as if you want to do a temporary close the hood expecting to open it again in 10 minutes and not pull a key out?

This type of post is - hard to describe - but an excellent to get real evaluations, honest, no marketing, and see the stuff in use. Kudos.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I know your post isn't totally dead serious, maybe a bit tongue-in-cheek? Can't see if you are smiling or not........ but my responses generally seem to come across as extremely serious so I'll preface the following with the above ;-)

Actually, oxygen is needed so dunking won't be the best test.
Have someone run the ASTM B117 salt fog or salt spray test.
That's how finishes like the plating I do are evaluated.
The yellow zinc I do has a salt spray resistance of up to 200–250 hours to white rust.

Anyway, all seriousness aside - Austin has a great question! How is the finish, and how long would it hold up to Jeep use?
So far, I'm impressed by the reviews of the installation, fit and lock function. Finish is my next thought.

Also - maybe I missed it, but the stock non-locking factory latches are a simple over-center thing just like the latches I put on the rear of my factory tonneau cover to prevent it from being opened when the tail gate is locked. Any detail - perhaps a shot or two of how these grab? Can they be used to latch and not lock, such as if you want to do a temporary close the hood expecting to open it again in 10 minutes and not pull a key out?

This type of post is - hard to describe - but an excellent to get real evaluations, honest, no marketing, and see the stuff in use. Kudos.

Yea, I was half being a smartass (typical). I just saw that someone mentioned it being the same finish they use on their bumpers, and IIRC, those can have some rusting issues. While these look nice, I'd rather not have rust stains on my paint.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
A - Also - maybe I missed it, but the stock non-locking factory latches are a simple over-center thing

B - Can they be used to latch and not lock, such as if you want to do a temporary close the hood expecting to open it again in 10 minutes and not pull a key out?
A - Yes, with a tiny bit of practice you can press the lock button in with your thumb and lift the latch with two fingers hooked under the bottom of the latch. You still need a 2nd hand to push the hood down to 'unhook' the latch, just like the stock latches.

B - Yes, they can be left 'unlocked' and will function as normal, just not locked. There is no visual indicator that they are unlocked. A very nice feature IMO.

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Finally installed mine yesterday. I will say I am so far impressed with the build quality of these. The locks (as of now) are smooth. As some stated I’m looking forward to seeing how they handle the elements.
my order is coming today, hopefully I get to install this weekend

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
As far as the finish, I do think it's the same exact powdercoating used across their entire product line. But, protect your investment! I just ran out to my garage for this picture and pulled out the first 4 cans at the top of my "Jeep upkeep drawer" I call it, which has all my soap/wax etc. If you don't maintain your own equipment, how do you expect it to last? Powdercoat isn't a miracle product, and I live in the Northeast.

As an example after wheeling, even if it's not a full wash I always rinse the undercarriage and apply Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating to scratches. Fix it while it's easy to fix.

But back to these locks specifically, keep them clean and lubed and I expect them to last a long time.

Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 0623221240_HDR

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A - Yes, with a tiny bit of practice you can press the lock button in with your thumb and lift the latch with two fingers hooked under the bottom of the latch. You still need a 2nd hand to push the hood down to 'unhook' the latch, just like the stock latches.

B - Yes, they can be left 'unlocked' and will function as normal, just not locked. There is no visual indicator that they are unlocked. A very nice feature IMO.
Big thanks. So they operated like the stock latches. I have the lift cylinders on mine - and as quick as I unlatch the stock latches, the hood wants to go up - I have to push on the hood to get the bail off the hook on the hood already so this would be zero change. ,

And - I like the idea of being able to leave them latched but not locked like if making a change and doing a test drive, or being out where I need frequent access, whatever. Lock normally, not lock if working on it and needing frequent access.

Sounds like it is well thought out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the finish, I do think it's the same exact powdercoating used across their entire product line. But, protect your investment! I just ran out to my garage for this picture and pulled out the first 4 cans at the top of my "Jeep upkeep drawer" I call it, which has all my soap/wax etc. If you don't maintain your own equipment, how do you expect it to last? Powdercoat isn't a miracle product, and I live in the Northeast.

As an example after wheeling, even if it's not a full wash I always rinse the undercarriage and apply Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating to scratches. Fix it while it's easy to fix.

But back to these locks specifically, keep them clean and lubed and I expect them to last a long time.

Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 0623221240_HDR
That is so funny - I need to grab my phone later and take a pic of my cabinets - I've had the same selection of stuff - some of it exactly those products - to touch up and maintain my show cars and such. I often grab a box or plastic bucket and toss a dozen cans of various products in to take to shows.

I use VHT SP652 on the door locks on my Eagle - it matches the Jeep door handles on that car and the other trim as it's a Sport model. And it's been on those locks for 3 years - no fading, no chipping, whatever.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Big thanks. So they operated like the stock latches. I have the lift cylinders on mine - and as quick as I unlatch the stock latches, the hood wants to go up - I have to push on the hood to get the bail off the hook on the hood already so this would be zero change. ,

And - I like the idea of being able to leave them latched but not locked like if making a change and doing a test drive, or being out where I need frequent access, whatever. Lock normally, not lock if working on it and needing frequent access.

Sounds like it is well thought out.
Same here, I have the lift cylinders, so regardless of the latch type, a 'push down' is required.
Yes, you can think of the lock as a redundant latching system, because regardless of if it is locked or not, it is a catch that has to be pushed before the latch handle can move out of its latch position. Peace of mind when you are cruising along at 120+ mph ;)

Certainly not needed, but I added round pieces of electrical tape over the lock keyways. So to the un-informed, they look like push-buttons, not locks, but more so to keep any dust/dirt/grime out of the keyway. Win-win.

Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Certainly not needed, but I added round pieces of electrical tape over the lock keyways. So to the un-informed, they look like push-buttons, not locks, but more so to keep any dust/dirt/grime out of the keyway. Win-win.
I am going to do this also, but more so for aesthetics. I don’t live in your harsh environment, but I also have no need for any chrome on this vehicle. IF it ever arrives.😉
So my question is: did you make a slit for the key? Or just remove and replace as needed?
If you made a slit please post a pic.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to do this also, but more so for aesthetics. I don’t live in your harsh environment, but I also have no need for any chrome on this vehicle. IF it ever arrives.😉
So my question is: did you make a slit for the key? Or just remove and replace as needed?
Would look good with a couple of raised panel oak doors over the locks.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
No slits. I like the 'black button' look. Being a super dependable Gladiator the only time I have to open the hood is to add accessories (of course being a Gladiator and being on this forum, that is a weekly thing :angel: ). I just cut a few extra using a leather punch, so if I need to replace the round piece of tape, there are a couple in the glovebox.

TheGreatCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Previous: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2013 Ford Escape
Somebody should send a set to the Lock Picking Lawyer to see just how good that tubular lock is. My guess, not very.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Somebody should send a set to the Lock Picking Lawyer to see just how good that tubular lock is. My guess, not very.
No need to send it anywhere. You can tell by looking at it yourself that any punk ass thug that is going to do what they do can easily get in to it.
It’s more of a deterrent to keep an honest person whom may be prone to straying from time to time honest.
Sponsored