Sponsored

Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
A lot of us have been chatting about hood locks in that other thread to help deter entry into the hood area. I said I was ordering some locking latches and they have arrived, here's my review.

I went with the Rugged Ridge "Locking Hood Catch" ( Jeep Gladiator Locking Hood Catch - $99). I originally saw a couple sets on Amazon that were only about $40 but after reading some reviews I decided to stick to a company I've dealt with before and trust as far as material quality. These are metal but closely resemble the stock plastics.

New Project.jpg

[Side by side view of the stock hood latch and the Rugged Ridge locking latch.]

The install was quick and painless, the stocks are held in by a single bolt on the fender and 2 small bolts on the hood. The same goes for the Rugged Ridge pair. Including photos, the entire process was about 20 minutes. Instructions were good, but honestly this could have been figured out without them anyway. I used a size 10 socket for the hood and a 1/2" wrench for the fender where the room to work is sparce. Everything popped loose with little effort and removed by hand. You will need two hex wrenches but sorry I didn't mark down which size I used.

0618221851_HDR.jpg

[Everything shipped and packaged nicely with instructions and labeled bags, the latch was completely put together already.]

0618221931_HDR.jpg

[Removal of the stock fender mount.]

0618221936_HDR.jpg

[Close up of the new locking mechanism.]

0618221936a_HDR.jpg

[An underneath view of one hex bolt.]

0618221946_HDR.jpg

[Front view, stock latch on left / Rugged Ridge latch on right.]

My plan was to use this one 2-pack to lock both hoods of my JT and JL, after seeing how closely they appear to each other and not like a "sore thumb" that's exactly what I did. Here it is pictured on my wife's Wrangler, the process was identical.

0618221958_HDR.jpg

Overall I am extremely happy with the build quality and I think it will work as intended to keep the hood closed and safely locked away. Hope this helps!
That is the best looking locking hood latch Iā€™ve seenā€¦ do you have a picture of the other 1/2 of the latch on the hood?
Iā€™ve always thought the,location of jeep latches on the outside of the hood make defeat of a locking latch too easy with a simple pry bar. They might slow a thief down, but they are going to result in damage to the hood if the thief is determined to get in.
Sponsored

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
That is the best looking locking hood latch Iā€™ve seenā€¦ do you have a picture of the other 1/2 of the latch on the hood?
Iā€™ve always thought the,location of jeep latches on the outside of the hood make defeat of a locking latch too easy with a simple pry bar. They might slow a thief down, but they are going to result in damage to the hood if the thief is determined to get in.
And on any other car you can break the window and actuate the non-locking release lever. None of these are that hard to defeat, but good at keeping honest people honest. I just installed this set today. Also took a little adjusting to dial in the retention so that pushing down on the hood does not allow the latch to clear the hood cleat. Might check it again in a few hundred miles, but easy to adjust tightness.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Installing mine tomorrow.

Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch B382E113-D71B-4B95-B8BA-C6C552387A16
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch B4D16C0B-D939-4612-9F0A-67CFD171FDA4
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 9668DC33-144E-458A-B926-2ADDAF5A5537
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch D3420372-C228-44ED-A64E-6B7C5C0D900C

OP
OP
GOCAMPN

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Thank you two for answering and adding the pictures. Here's that top half mounted.

Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 0619222044_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 0619222044

To mimic what they said, it keeps honest people honest. If someone wants to get in, they will and there's nothing that can stop them. But this just makes it a little bit harder.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
damn, I like this, searched and found on Amazon, gives me something to use my credit balance on :like:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And on any other car you can break the window and actuate the non-locking release lever. None of these are that hard to defeat, but good at keeping honest people honest. I just installed this set today. Also took a little adjusting to dial in the retention so that pushing down on the hood does not allow the latch to clear the hood cleat. Might check it again in a few hundred miles, but easy to adjust tightness.
On a lot of vehicles, you don't even need to do that if you can reach up and access the cable. A lot of people over the years have complained that the hood wouldn't release, the handle broke, the cable stuck or broke or whatever, and in some cases, you can reach up, cut the cable, and pull, and open the hood. Quick and quiet. No sound of breaking glass.

You do want these Jeep latches to actually have some preload on them so they are not easy to take over-center. They need to actually pull down on the hood, not just hold it in place.
It should take some effort, it should snap or pop over-center and hold the hood firmly down, not just in place.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Installed on the wifeā€™s JL and my JT today. Unlatching them is different. Downward hood pressure isnā€™t enough. Use your index finger to feel the ridged underside of the hinge and roll that outward to free the latch. They seem secure enough for no hood flap/flutter in the wind, but I havenā€™t had it on the highway yet.
Jeep Gladiator Installation and Review: Rugged Ridge Locking Hood Catch 803B6391-CC41-4E56-B0F1-E3BA9EEC67FD

Reactions: mog

gladtohave

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Online sales
Just ordered . Thanks for the reviews . I think it's stupid they don't come with the locking latches or at least offer as an option to make more money on .

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine

gladtohave

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Online sales
I have the trail cam and I think it would need removed for the oem center latch lock . I was thinking they should offer the rugged ridge for the side latches or make their own . Kinda like the bestop is offered and is aftermarket . After reading how these can get stolen I want to be proactive in eliminating that from happening . Sure insurance can cover it but what a pain in the A$$ to replace as I just got it after waiting 4 months .

RalphTuttle

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
A lot of us have been chatting about hood locks in that other thread to help deter entry into the hood area. I said I was ordering some locking latches and they have arrived, here's my review.

I went with the Rugged Ridge "Locking Hood Catch" ( Jeep Gladiator Locking Hood Catch - $99). I originally saw a couple sets on Amazon that were only about $40 but after reading some reviews I decided to stick to a company I've dealt with before and trust as far as material quality. These are metal but closely resemble the stock plastics.

New Project.jpg

[Side by side view of the stock hood latch and the Rugged Ridge locking latch.]

The install was quick and painless, the stocks are held in by a single bolt on the fender and 2 small bolts on the hood. The same goes for the Rugged Ridge pair. Including photos, the entire process was about 20 minutes. Instructions were good, but honestly this could have been figured out without them anyway. I used a size 10 socket for the hood and a 1/2" wrench for the fender where the room to work is sparce. Everything popped loose with little effort and removed by hand. You will need two hex wrenches but sorry I didn't mark down which size I used.

0618221851_HDR.jpg

[Everything shipped and packaged nicely with instructions and labeled bags, the latch was completely put together already.]

0618221931_HDR.jpg

[Removal of the stock fender mount.]

0618221936_HDR.jpg

[Close up of the new locking mechanism.]

0618221936a_HDR.jpg

[An underneath view of one hex bolt.]

0618221946_HDR.jpg

[Front view, stock latch on left / Rugged Ridge latch on right.]

My plan was to use this one 2-pack to lock both hoods of my JT and JL, after seeing how closely they appear to each other and not like a "sore thumb" that's exactly what I did. Here it is pictured on my wife's Wrangler, the process was identical.

0618221958_HDR.jpg

Overall I am extremely happy with the build quality and I think it will work as intended to keep the hood closed and safely locked away. Hope this helps!
[/QUOT
Thanks for the post. I ordered the exact same latches last week after reading that "other" post! Mine were supposed to have been delivered yesterday - but they haven't shown up yet. I expect to receive the today.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
As Jeep sells more and more of these, and Wranglers, to other types of consumers, and in other places, I'd not be surprised to see them offer factory installed locks keyed to the same key the other locks use. It just makes sense, especially since they sell to people who use them as their daily rides.
Even years ago, I saw a number of Jeeps in the parking lot at work - they were daily drivers, a couple of them driven by women who worked there because they were such great winter vehicles, going through anything.

Fishee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys NACHO
May be a dumb question...Not familiar with those style keys but are they generic? Like if I ordered these could my key unlock yours?
Sponsored