“Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon”

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I’m driving a 2020 Sport S with 12,400 ish miles on it. I haven’t had any issues with it and the truck has been turning on and off fine. Yesterday, I drove around as I usually do. The vehicle was turned off for 10 minutes and then it tried to crank on but didn’t. I was able to jump it but then the “Stop Safely, Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” warning was displayed. Before it turned off, It felt as if the power steering wasn’t working. The vehicle shut off shortly after that. It was towed to the nearest dealership for a diagnostic.

I got a call from dealer today telling me the warranty was voided and that I would need to pay the $150 diagnostic fee and any potential repairs needed to be paid for out of pocket. He cited that it was obvious the vehicle had been driven through water and that there was moisture under the hood, therefore voiding the warranty. I do not go mudding nor do I do serious off-roading. I’ve driven on service roads with little to no obstacles. I live in Florida and there are puddles but I’ve never driven in anything that was significant enough to make me worry about potential damage. Furthermore, The truck had been operating fine until this random issue yesterday.

Has anyone had similar issues? Am i just having bad luck with dealership service center? Any input is appreciated!

574DA89B-63A5-4F91-8C30-6813675EA7AB.jpeg
Sponsored

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Kind of strange (from the Jeep website) seems to be conflicting?
Do not attempt water crossing unless the depth is under 30 inches BUT Traversing water can cause damage that may not be covered by the new vehicle warranty.
Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” fordin

LINK

Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” fording 2
Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” fording3

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[/QUOTE]
Kind of strange (from the Jeep website) seems to be conflicting?
Do not attempt water crossing unless the depth is under 30 inches BUT Traversing water can cause damage that may not be covered by the new vehicle warranty.
fording.jpg

LINK

fording 2.jpg
fording3.jpg
Yea, it’s very conflicting. I haven’t crossed any water like that though. Dealership just called back and said that so far it’s looking like it needs a new alternator and 2 fuse boxes ($1,400 ish out of pocket). Said it may have other issues but they haven’t encountered them yet. Still unsure as to how the warranty does not cover it. Will be going there after work to see what the issue is.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd fight that one - can they prove you went through a deep stream?
This AM - no kidding, things were WET everywhere. The extreme humidity, dew points near the actual temperature.
Last night I went out to my shop at about 11pm. There was water on the railings, there was water on and under the hood of a car I'm parting out.
So if I took my Jeep in - would they suggest that I'd been through water? I'd ask them to show me the water here - our creeks are dry enough to walk across and not get your feet wet and yet steel parts were wet everywhere.

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical

Yea, it’s very conflicting. I haven’t crossed any water like that though. Dealership just called back and said that so far it’s looking like it needs a new alternator and 2 fuse boxes ($1,400 ish out of pocket). Said it may have other issues but they haven’t encountered them yet. Still unsure as to how the warranty does not cover it. Will be going there after work to see what the issue is.
[/QUOTE]

So it can water Ford and is water resistant until it isn’t and then it’s your fault? Interesting. What a crock of crap that is.

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd fight that one - can they prove you went through a deep stream?
This AM - no kidding, things were WET everywhere. The extreme humidity, dew points near the actual temperature.
Last night I went out to my shop at about 11pm. There was water on the railings, there was water on and under the hood of a car I'm parting out.
So if I took my Jeep in - would they suggest that I'd been through water? I'd ask them to show me the water here - our creeks are dry enough to walk across and not get your feet wet and yet steel parts were wet everywhere.
Going to try to fight it. Will be calling Jeep before I even go to dealership. I told the service rep that I want to see the damage before I commit to anything, so we’ll see. I know that I haven’t been in any kind of water that would even come remotely close to making me worry about possible damage, hence why I am so confused. I guess I’ll find out either way

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it can water Ford and is water resistant until it isn’t and then it’s your fault? Interesting. What a crock of crap that is.
[/QUOTE]

Yea makes no sense. Either way,I haven’t been water fording so that shouldn’t be an issue

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Yeah WTF isn't it supposed to be able to go through like 20-30 inches of water?

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnes48

johnes48

First Name
Johnerick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m driving a 2020 Sport S with 12,400 ish miles on it. I haven’t had any issues with it and the truck has been turning on and off fine. Yesterday, I drove around as I usually do. The vehicle was turned off for 10 minutes and then it tried to crank on but didn’t. I was able to jump it but then the “Stop Safely, Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” warning was displayed. Before it turned off, It felt as if the power steering wasn’t working. The vehicle shut off shortly after that. It was towed to the nearest dealership for a diagnostic.

I got a call from dealer today telling me the warranty was voided and that I would need to pay the $150 diagnostic fee and any potential repairs needed to be paid for out of pocket. He cited that it was obvious the vehicle had been driven through water and that there was moisture under the hood, therefore voiding the warranty. I do not go mudding nor do I do serious off-roading. I’ve driven on service roads with little to no obstacles. I live in Florida and there are puddles but I’ve never driven in anything that was significant enough to make me worry about potential damage. Furthermore, The truck had been operating fine until this random issue yesterday.

Has anyone had similar issues? Am i just having bad luck with dealership service center? Any input is appreciated!

574DA89B-63A5-4F91-8C30-6813675EA7AB.jpeg
Checked out the truck today to see what they were talking about. They are saying I’m at fault because it is dirty under the hood (dried dirt and water marks). It’s going to be dirty, I live in Florida and drive on dirt roads. I’ve also never cleaned under the hood in the year I’ve had the truck because I’ve never thought it was that bad.

Service rep insists that my truck was stuck and/or submerged in water. He pointed out a couple of places on the alternator where there was some moisture but unsure where it came from. I’m surprised it hasn’t evaporated in the Florida heat. Waiting on Jeep to respond so that I can get this taken care of.

Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” 6D658F6B-19CD-4433-9C5E-3D0AF007E418

Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” EFAEE08F-40E6-4E32-8D4A-7023F31B74EC

Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” 2B0F3EB5-CFB5-4460-BF48-79CCB7E74A24

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Holy CRAP! I'm in trouble!

I've never driven through even a deep puddle - all of this is from driving in rain on the highways and from the car wash spraying back into the engine bay -

Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” 20210825_164133_HDR

Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” 20210825_164143

Jeep Gladiator “Vehicle Will Shut Off Soon” 20210825_164302_HDR

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
That’s a load of shit to put it bluntly. I’d try calling Jeep to explain the situation or take it to another dealer. They can’t prove you’ve been driving in water based off those pictures. Plus how would your alternator fail from water submersion but not you engine via air intake?

The only thing I could guess is have you or anyone else sprayed water directly at the alternator? I did that when I was a kid to my Acura and it caused a “Check Charging System” message immediately. Stupid I know…live and learn.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a load of shit to put it bluntly. I’d try calling Jeep to explain the situation or take it to another dealer. They can’t prove you’ve been driving in water based off those pictures. Plus how would your alternator fail from water submersion but not you engine via air intake?

The only thing I could guess is have you or anyone else sprayed water directly at the alternator? I did that when I was a kid to my Acura and it caused a “Check Charging System” message immediately. Stupid I know…live and learn.
I've driven AMC cars for years - ya know where the alternator is mounted? Bottom of the engine on the right side, below the battery tray.
I had a VW Rabbit for a year or so before the expanding foam started falling out of the floor holes and I could no longer see between the windshield cracks.

Both cars when you drove through a puddle on the STREET, through a pavement dip or whatever, the red light would come on on the dash, then after about half a block it would charge again. They'd dry out.
The bearings were sealed.
The brushes and slip rings got wet and they stopped charging until the water was spun back out and things dried out a bit. Never was one ever damaged.
I've been working on and restoring alternators for classic cars for years - none of them were ever damaged by water.
I suppose if they were run submerged - it might happen, but through water during really heavy rains, they dried out and charged again.
Sponsored