Sponsored

1.5 Level Kit - Shocks? (again)

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT
I have researched this and found the answers to my initial questions so I won't bother you with them but I have a question about replacing the shocks. I understand that the 1.5" is within the acceptable margins of the shocks currently on the vehicle but as anyone who's ever shopped for shocks will tell you "it goes from stock to 2"-4" and up. So the question is, "Could you put a set of shocks rated for 2"-4" on a 1.5 level/lift?"

Well of course I could but would there be and problems/issues?
Sponsored

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
Depends entirely on bump stops vs the shocks compressed length. Which model are we talking about. Did your level kit add any bump stop length?

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, traditional Teraflex w/ bumpstops.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, traditional Teraflex w/ bumpstops.
Edit: I am going to install it this weekend, and then immediately hate the loss of rake and install the 3/4 Daystar's I have. This is a future question and I really never liked the idea of shock extensions.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you go through ALL the shocks out there for the JT you will find some that say "0"-2" Lift"
and then there are the rest that just 0" or Stock.

Then if you check the full extended length and compressed length of all those shocks, they are very close in the dimensions.

So, one can "assume" ( I hate that word ) that a stock height shock SHOULD work with 1.5" of lift.

*BUT* it will put you in a different range of the shock and you may not be happy with the ride.

Sponsored

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
With the 1" bump stop extension you should be able to clear any front shocks with a <17.5" compressed length which will allow for most manufacturers shocks listed for 2-3" lifts. This will get you the longest shocks that will work without issue and therefore get you the most gain in suspension travel as well.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the 1" bump stop extension you should be able to clear any front shocks with a <17.5" compressed length which will allow for most manufacturers shocks listed for 2-3" lifts. This will get you the longest shocks that will work without issue and therefore get you the most gain in suspension travel as well.
I think this is the answer I was looking for unless someone has a reason why a shock for a 2" lift will NOT work?

And just like when @kevman65 said he hated the word "assume" I hate saying "this is the answer I was looking for". Just because it's the answer I "want" to hear but it might not be the right one.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
If you want to be 100% sure and prove it to yourself, install the coil spacers and bumpstop extensions and take some measurements.

Measure between the shock mounts. Measure the distance between the bumpstop and where it hits the axle. Subtract from your shock mount measurement. Subtract another inch for bumpstop compression. That’s the maximum collapsed length you can run without changing the bumpstops again.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
You’re getting spot on advice on this. The best way would be to cycle suspension and see what your shock measurements could be.
Bump stops protect your shocks from being the first thing to compress (bad) and keep bigger tires out of your fenders. Which also depends on wheels/backspacing, fenders. Lot of variables.
Are you going bigger tires? Then might need bump stops anyway, which should protect most of those 2-3” shocks from being the first thing to hit on compression.
Possibly useful:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...gs-suspension-information-chart-matrix.66591/

In general, reservoir shocks have longer travel or shorter min length because the piston is in the reservoir. So can get away with a little less min length in the shock.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re getting spot on advice on this. The best way would be to cycle suspension and see what your shock measurements could be.
Bump stops protect your shocks from being the first thing to compress (bad) and keep bigger tires out of your fenders. Which also depends on wheels/backspacing, fenders. Lot of variables.
Are you going bigger tires? Then might need bump stops anyway, which should protect most of those 2-3” shocks from being the first thing to hit on compression.
Possibly useful:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...gs-suspension-information-chart-matrix.66591/

In general, reservoir shocks have longer travel or shorter min length because the piston is in the reservoir. So can get away with a little less min length in the shock.
Thank you for the added information. I am going to put in the spacer this weekend and then use @Wheelin98TJ 's measurement formula and see what I come up with. If I think about it then it makes sense but don't think I would have gotten there without the push!

Sponsored

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
I have the Clayton 1.5 level, I put 0-1.5 Fox 2.0 in the rear and put 2-3 Fox 2.0 in front. Rides good, MetalCloak adjustable bump stops on order.

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
You can use shock extenders.
The OP was looking to buy new shocks, why would you buy short shocks and add extensions? The only factory shocks worth running extensions to retain are the mojave shocks. A bilstein 5100 is an upgrade over all other factory shocks, cheap, and much longer travel for the same compressed length. Even the 0-1.5" shocks add over an inch of stroke. The 2-3" that will easily fit with the leveling kit the OP is running add over 2". Why not add 25% more suspension travel?

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
I did the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit and about 6 months later replaced my shocks with a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks. Definitely rides firmer, but it also drives better.

OP
OP
Great Offender

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like I got away with a steal on the level kit when I paid way less than the advertised price from a friend but it looks like I will put that saved money towards some good shocks. I have started the hunt and it looks like my wife's bonus just hit our account :devil:

@Geral W Hasten shock extenders were part of my "no" list from the beginning. Would only do it as a last resort. I understand the concept and it works but my brain has a problem accepting them. Probably completely irrational but I'm a poster child of irrational thoughts and behaviors.
Sponsored