Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys,

I've had my JT for almost three weeks. I picked it up the Saturday prior to thanksgiving. Since then, I've put Rock Slide Engineering steps, the MOPAR trailer brake controller, the 67 rail and phone holder, and a couple of cosmetic things like sill protectors, window vent shades, etc. I've also towed a 5500 lb trailer about 320 miles through the Texas hill country. Here are my thoughts so far:

The buying process: I ordered my JT from Mac Haik in Georgetown, TX using the Tread Lightly Affiliate benefits and the price negotiated was the price I paid for the vehicle. My salesperson was communicative - especially as my JT was getting closer towards delivery. I got an "average" trade for my F-150. Unfortunately, their service department was less than impressive. When I asked them to install the trailer brake controller, the dude said that my vehicle didn't have the right extra wire. He was wrong (poor service technician knowledge on the brake controllers was addressed by another member here in his review), all JTs come with the extra wire, as it's part of the 7-pin harness. So, they were pretty much worthless for me. I even had to tell them to install the front license plate bracket.

Things I wish I had ordered differently:
- I wish I had opted for the steel front bumper
- I wish I had opted for the slush mats
- I wish I had not ordered the dual top option. I'll probably sell the soft top.

The vehicle is fantastic! That said, I have some things that just bother me. I traded a 2019 F-150 King Ranch with the 3.0L powerstroke diesel for my JTRD. There are some things that are not "wrong" but different that I liked better with the ford.
- Adaptive cruise control: the JT doesn't hold a stop like the ford does. For those who haven't had a ford, when the ACC brings you to a stop, it will hold the stop until you tell it to start up again. The JT doesn't. It stops you, then you have to maintain brake pedal pressure to remain stopped or you'll idle into the vehicle in front of you.
- Suspension is harsher in the JT, probably something to do with the solid front axle. To the point that the 67 designs phone holder drops my phone when going over a particular railroad crossing. I really have to slow down when I know there's an obstacle. It's just not something I'm used to needing to do with my previous truck.
- it's a bit noisier. Not a big deal, but something I'm getting used to.
- the transmission leaves some room for improvement compared to the Ford's 10-speed

The disappointing:
- quality control - at least one body mount bolt wasn't threaded on properly and wasn't flush against the frame. Making it even more problematic, it was stuck and wouldn't turn. So, my local dealership (not the same as the sales dealership) is getting the parts ordered so they can fix the factory's problem.
- The Manual mode for the transmission thinks it knows better than I do and won't hold the gear I told it to. Here's the scenario: I'm going through the hill country in Texas. If I just leave it in "D" it will hunt through the gears, going back and forth - usually between 5 and 6. If I drive the transmission and downshift before getting to the hill, I can prevent the hunting... mostly. But when I put it in a gear, and I'm in manual, it should stay in that gear unless the computer thinks something dangerous or harmful to the vehicle is going to happen (overspeeding for instance). But the transmission thinks it knows better than I do about a hill that I can see (it can't), and I don't like it.

The stuff I'm really happy about:
- towing capability - this thing tows my 26' Jayflight really well. I got 1 MPG better fuel economy with the JT compared to the F-150 even though they weigh about the same (the JT and the F-150).
- The sound of the engine. This thing sounds fantastic!! Way better than the Ford's 3.0L power stroke.
- It's a Jeep Truck. :rock:

I have some notes about my Rock Slide Engineering install that I'll share in the How To section that are not in the installation instructions you get with the steps.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
You lost me at ACC :LOL:.

Welcome the JT land. I hope you settle in to your truck soon and maybe some of the little things won't seam to bother you as much.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I forgot a couple of things I’d like to see on the gladiator:

1. A truck/towing page on the Uconnect that shows all of the relevant gauges for towing a trailer - for the eco diesel, that would include exhaust gas temp and turbo PSI.

I know we have the off-road pages, but they won’t load if your traveling above a certain speed.

2. A tow/haul mode for the transmission.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I forgot a couple of things I’d like to see on the gladiator:

1. A truck/towing page on the Uconnect that shows all of the relevant gauges for towing a trailer - for the eco diesel, that would include exhaust gas temp and turbo PSI.

I know we have the off-road pages, but they won’t load if your traveling above a certain speed.

2. A tow/haul mode for the transmission.
The offroad pages on the 7" or 8.4" can be used at any speed.

jebsurf

First Name
jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 twin turbo explorer sport
Awesome write up! So in all fairness, I love the f150. I also use to work at Norfolk Assembly, and I've personally built MANY of f150's! They're tough trucks and best selling for years running for good reason! I also get "A" plan on any Ford which is, any and ALL incentives PLUS $500 cheaper than any dealer can buy the truck for from Ford Motor Co. When the dealer sells me a vehicle, Ford Motor Co. has to stroke a check to that dealership for $500 for their loss (but it does count as a unit sold for the dealer, so it's win win for everyone).

Now that being said, I get a HUGE discount on any truck truck I want, BUT.....it's no jeep! This JT is my first jeep and it still stings when I think about the sticker price. I can almost buy a Platinum F350 diesel for what a JTRD will cost me (I've been looking at trading the Mojave). It's deff a tough pill to swallow, but again, its a Jeep....and I can't pull the roof/doors off of a F350 and get that "Jeep feeling". I absolutely love my Jeep even tho I've had some quality control issues myself. Honestly ones that shouldn't be an issue for a +$60k vehicle. Also, I use my Jeep for its intended use, and offroad it pretty often. It's a real beast on the sand dunes to say the least. But thing is, I'm thinking about getting into over landing some, and I am looking VERY hard at a JTRD (fully loaded) hands down. Even tho comparable on what I can get bells and whistles wise with ford for much cheaper, at the end of the day it's still not a Jeep. Guess we have to pay to play, and I am grateful to have the means to do such. :)

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I'm sure you have your reasons and am just curious why you would sell the soft top. Heck I am not far away over in Katy, TX and I dumped my hard top into the garage as fast as I could get that soft top on it. Weather around here is great for the soft top.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Awesome write up! So in all fairness, I love the f150. I also use to work at Norfolk Assembly, and I've personally built MANY of f150's! They're tough trucks and best selling for years running for good reason! I also get "A" plan on any Ford which is, any and ALL incentives PLUS $500 cheaper than any dealer can buy the truck for from Ford Motor Co. When the dealer sells me a vehicle, Ford Motor Co. has to stroke a check to that dealership for $500 for their loss (but it does count as a unit sold for the dealer, so it's win win for everyone).

Now that being said, I get a HUGE discount on any truck truck I want, BUT.....it's no jeep! This JT is my first jeep and it still stings when I think about the sticker price. I can almost buy a Platinum F350 diesel for what a JTRD will cost me (I've been looking at trading the Mojave). It's deff a tough pill to swallow, but again, its a Jeep....and I can't pull the roof/doors off of a F350 and get that "Jeep feeling". I absolutely love my Jeep even tho I've had some quality control issues myself. Honestly ones that shouldn't be an issue for a +$60k vehicle. Also, I use my Jeep for its intended use, and offroad it pretty often. It's a real beast on the sand dunes to say the least. But thing is, I'm thinking about getting into over landing some, and I am looking VERY hard at a JTRD (fully loaded) hands down. Even tho comparable on what I can get bells and whistles wise with ford for much cheaper, at the end of the day it's still not a Jeep. Guess we have to pay to play, and I am grateful to have the means to do such. :)
I think sometimes Jeep gets away with stuff because people use the its a jeep thing. There are a lot of things that should be standard on all models and the upgrades to get them if you don't have them are crazy expensive.

jebsurf

First Name
jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 twin turbo explorer sport
For sure and I think you are absolutely correct

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The offroad pages on the 7" or 8.4" can be used at any speed.
My off-road pages wouldn’t load. So, I assumed I was going too fast. Also, they wouldn’t load when I was actually off-road.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

that’s my plan for this truck - an overlander. I don’t plan any engine or mechanical upgrades aside from suspension - probably a 2.5 Clayton overland with 37” Patagonias.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm sure you have your reasons and am just curious why you would sell the soft top. Heck I am not far away over in Katy, TX and I dumped my hard top into the garage as fast as I could get that soft top on it. Weather around here is great for the soft top.
im not certain I will sell it, but I do like having the hard top on. I’ll probably get the sunrider to replace the front freedom panels.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
My off-road pages wouldn’t load. So, I assumed I was going too fast. Also, they wouldn’t load when I was actually off-road.
Take it to the dealership. However, it doesn't open instantaneously.
Sponsored