First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
That may be it sensing that you need to slow fast - then it will force a downshift and remove the free-wheeling bit. .I have noticed that since day-one with mine. If I am going down hill and picking up speed, I hit the brakes a bit and it downshifts and it's like pushing the OD/Off button on my prior Grand Cherokee - it uses engine braking to slow me down and maintains that speed down the hill. I LOVE IT. All other vehicles I had to keep pressing the brakes to keep slowing when going down a hill My Chevy would keep gaining speed. not this thing.
I touch the brake firmly and let up, it downshifts and applies engine braking.
I think that's actually described somewhere = maybe in the book?
My WJ I hit the OD/Off button and the thing uses engine braking to slow me down on a down-hill.
On our 2020 Glad Sport S with maxtow the 8sp auto seems to get confused when it's shifting from 1st to 2nd, hesitates if you aren't accelerating at a good clip. Anybody else having this issue?
Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
On our 2020 Glad Sport S with maxtow the 8sp auto seems to get confused when it's shifting from 1st to 2nd, hesitates if you aren't accelerating at a good clip. Anybody else having this issue?
Yes.

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Try turning traction control off and see if that helps. When I turn it off I can feel a slight difference in the way it shifts. I do not know why..just feels different to me. On mine its the button next to the auto start/stop disable button.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. The transmission in my Overland has never felt or sounded strange, has always shifted either as expected or smoother than expected.
The only thing I don't care for is the high gear ratio on the Overland causing it to do a lot of shifting up and down on the highway.
Otherwise, in town, under 50 mph, it's among the best I've had.
It shifts fine, no hesitation in shifting. It shifts, it's smooth, hard to tell other than engine sound and the tach.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The ZF 8 speed that we have is widely regarded as arguably the best transmission available today. It’s in everything from Bentleys to BMWs to Audi’s to Land Rovers (I could go on and on) to our Gladiators. There could be something wrong with your transmission, but it’s highly likely that it’s something that could be a simple reprogramming issue. Just make an appointment with your local dealership and they should be able to figure it out.

Its nothing like the shitty GM 8 speed auto that I had in my 2017 Canyon All Terrain that GM didn’t know how to fix. It took several flushes, reprogrammings, and literally different fluid types that they were experimenting with before they finally figured out how to fix it. The 2018.5+ are good now. In my situation, the torque converter shudder was bad enough that it trashed my torque converter. I was about to run out of warranty and I was tired of the dealership visits and loaner cars so I dumped it. It held its value really well so it made sense. I was going to buy another one, because I loved everythingelse about that truck, but then Jeep started offering $8k off on me Overlands and I have a weakness and this is my 4th Jeep.

Sponsored

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
Hello- I have an automatic Sport with the Max tow & 4.10 gears. I don’t think mine is a shifting problem, but what caught my eye in this post is the original poster said 25mph ish zone is where it is struggling and that is roughly where I feel it is just a weird experience. Not searching for gears, but just hard to maintain that speed... you let off the gas and instead of “coasting” it kind of jerks your a little ...then you ever slightly put on the gas a little and it does the same thing... like jerks you around a little ... very hard to explain, but just “harder” to maintain a slow speed than any other car... if that makes any sense.
This is kind of what I am experiencing as well. Usually in the 30-40 MPH range it feels like the trans is shifting in and out of gear or perhaps a misfire. Or it may just be bumps in the road. You can't really hear the engine to diagnose a misfire. Watching the tach I don't see it changing gears. It's very odd.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
That may be it sensing that you need to slow fast - then it will force a downshift and remove the free-wheeling bit. .I have noticed that since day-one with mine. If I am going down hill and picking up speed, I hit the brakes a bit and it downshifts and it's like pushing the OD/Off button on my prior Grand Cherokee - it uses engine braking to slow me down and maintains that speed down the hill. I LOVE IT. All other vehicles I had to keep pressing the brakes to keep slowing when going down a hill My Chevy would keep gaining speed. not this thing.
I touch the brake firmly and let up, it downshifts and applies engine braking.
I think that's actually described somewhere = maybe in the book?
My WJ I hit the OD/Off button and the thing uses engine braking to slow me down on a down-hill.
Honestly this sounds like the explanation, though I seem to experience it while on flat ground occasionally. I'm used to an automatic pushing up to the highest gear as soon as it can and coasting... but it does seem like the truck is intentionally keeping the transmission in a lower gear to impede the forward momentum, whether as a form of braking or to maintain speed on hills.

Hello- I have an automatic Sport with the Max tow & 4.10 gears. I don’t think mine is a shifting problem, but what caught my eye in this post is the original poster said 25mph ish zone is where it is struggling and that is roughly where I feel it is just a weird experience. Not searching for gears, but just hard to maintain that speed... you let off the gas and instead of “coasting” it kind of jerks your a little ...then you ever slightly put on the gas a little and it does the same thing... like jerks you around a little ... very hard to explain, but just “harder” to maintain a slow speed than any other car... if that makes any sense.
I don't get as much of a jerk anymore, but I can definitely tell it's not up shifting for one reason or another. The 3 blocks from my street to the highway is 25mph down a hill, around a curve, with lots of vehicles and kids in the street. With my Accord I get up to about 20-25 mph and then have to ride the brakes for the last block. With the Gladiator I can get up to 25 mph and then it'll start to slow down almost. Clearly it weights a lot more so there's something holding it back.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
The only thing annoying about mine is it slams into reverse on cold start up. My '17 Canyon did that too and it was a simple reprogram, I just need to remember to mention it at my next service. It also sounds like a ghost whoooing in reverse, which is actually comical to me, but I don't think that has anything to do with the transmission itself.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing annoying about mine is it slams into reverse on cold start up. My '17 Canyon did that too and it was a simple reprogram, I just need to remember to mention it at my next service. It also sounds like a ghost whoooing in reverse, which is actually comical to me, but I don't think that has anything to do with the transmission itself.
Yes, these trucks are haunted.
I didn't notice it for a few weeks but then when I read here about that sound - I paid attention, my wife even mentioned it. Seems to be coming from the audio system at times. But only in reverse. EMF?

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
I’ve noticed some harder downshifting in the lower gears around town in my max tow. I believe it has to do something with the 4.10 gears and max trailer. I’ve seen in another post where someone mentioned the lower hard shifts are supposed to help with towing and braking. Just an assumption though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoeyJag

JoeyJag

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 Jaguar XKR, 1962 Nova
Occupation
VP of Sales - Data Centers
I have that ghost “woooing” sound in reverse as well!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
JoeyJag

JoeyJag

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 Jaguar XKR, 1962 Nova
Occupation
VP of Sales - Data Centers
Ha! Kidding aside, do others hear this as well or is this another symptom I need to have addressed? Thanks all.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Ha! Kidding aside, do others hear this as well or is this another symptom I need to have addressed? Thanks all.
To be honest I haven't noticed, but I am going to start listening for it now. When I drive again I will listen and post what I noticed for mine.
Sponsored