MadMan81

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Guys excuse the naivety, but i notice most of the offset questions are for 35 or 37 inch tires.

I am looking to upgrade my stock Sport S wheels to 33" stock tries off of a JL rubicon 280/75/17. I'm looking at Black Rhino wheels, and the wheel size options I am looking at are 17x9's at either -18mm or 0mm.

My stock wheels are +44mm, and iv'e already seen the difference on tiresize.com. What I guess I am asking is, because I'm not going for larger wheels, nor a lift, should I get the 0mm or -18mm offset option? Is there any pro or con over one size over the other? OR...should I avoid those sizes and get something closer (~+30ish range) to stock?

Thanks in advance. Picture for reference.

Jeep Gladiator -18 offset vs 0 offset advise Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 3.39.08 PM
Sponsored

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
Guys excuse the naivety, but i notice most of the offset questions are for 35 or 37 inch tires.

I am looking to upgrade my stock Sport S wheels to 33" stock tries off of a JL rubicon 280/75/17. I'm looking at Black Rhino wheels, and the wheel size options I am looking at are 17x9's at either -18mm or 0mm.

My stock wheels are +44mm, and iv'e already seen the difference on tiresize.com. What I guess I am asking is, because I'm not going for larger wheels, nor a lift, should I get the 0mm or -18mm offset option? Is there any pro or con over one size over the other? OR...should I avoid those sizes and get something closer (~+30ish range) to stock?

Thanks in advance. Picture for reference.

Jeep Gladiator -18 offset vs 0 offset advise Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 3.39.08 PM
The tires are 285/70/17 and I'd get the 0 offset which is 5" backspacing. If you get the -18 offset that would be 4.25" backspacing and your tires/wheels would be 0.75" further out, unless you want to have 'that look' which some people like. I don't know what the laws are in Chicago about how far the tread can stick out past the fenders. In PA the state police can cite people if their tires stick out too far. I have 285/70/17 Cooper tires on stock wheels and they don't stick out. Whatever you do, please post pics so we can see :rock:

OP
OP
MadMan81

MadMan81

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
so the -18mm offset have a 4.29" backspace and the 0mm offset has a 5" backspace.

So yeah I don't mind them sticking out a little bit, but i don't want to to stick out THAT much.

But the wheels sticking out a bit won't cause any problem with the fitment or my suspension? No negative effects?

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
so the -18mm offset have a 4.29" backspace and the 0mm offset has a 5" backspace.

So yeah I don't mind them sticking out a little bit, but i don't want to to stick out THAT much.

But the wheels sticking out a bit won't cause any problem with the fitment or my suspension? No negative effects?
Oh there's always a chance for negative effects when you change the offset. Look up 'Scrub radius'. If you're concerned then keep them on the stock wheels or go on ebay and find some other JL Wrangler or Gladiator stock rims. Here's some info that might help you out:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/positive-v-negative-offset-1361898/#post13478299

ftgiles;13478299 said:
It makes a difference in how the vehicle handles. Different offsets produce a different "Scrub Radius". Some people like the "look" of a deep dish wheel that sticks out. But, that has a negative effect on handling. Look up scrub radius for more info.

It's a compromise between gaining back-side tire clearance and obtaining a more favorable scrub radius.
LJ-ROD;13479321 said:
Alright, so what is my scrub radius now? From what I read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius) and could decipher, wheels with a more positive offset (and consequently high BS) produce a more positive scrub radius. But also from what I read, a more negative scrub radius is safer in brake failure and tire deflation situations. I can't really find a solid good point to a positive scrub radius, so is the SLA the only reason they come from the factory that way?
Also click 'reply' when you reply to someone's message so that way they get a notification and know to respond.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MadMan81

MadMan81

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone!

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks everyone!
I agree with discount tire. Go with the wider tire and the zero offset, your truck will still look tough and have a nice stance. No need to go with -18. Here’s my Gladiator with 17x9 zeros and larger 35x12.50’s. Good luck!

Sorry for the weird sideways pic but I could not figure out how to rotate it on my phone.

Jeep Gladiator -18 offset vs 0 offset advise BC327CE8-ECAD-4FF9-AF68-524A8B6D932B

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my JTR with 37x13.50's on -24mm offset wheels... They only stick out about 2" or so. Barely slings anything.

Jeep Gladiator -18 offset vs 0 offset advise IMG_1103

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
I agree with discount tire. Go with the wider tire and the zero offset, your truck will still look tough and have a nice stance. No need to go with -18. Here’s my Gladiator with 17x9 zeros and larger 35x12.50’s. Good luck!

Sorry for the weird sideways pic but I could not figure out how to rotate it on my phone.

Jeep Gladiator -18 offset vs 0 offset advise IMG_1103
What axles are these?

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JT Willys
Occupation
Software Developer
Oh!!! I love when old threads come back! :bandit:
Yep, risen from the dead to help others like me :)

I didn't see this thread yesterday..... so I started this one with similar questions......Non-Rubi axle vs Rubi axle and -18 vs +1 offset wheels?

From what I've researched the 2022 and 2023 (maybe all years) Rubicons have wider axles than say a Sport or Willys; 3/4" wider on each end. So @Alabama Mud Machine your ~2" of poke is more like 1-1/4" for me.

Since 3/4" is about 19mm it seems that a -18mm wheel on a Sport/Willy is about equal to a +1mm offset on a Rubicon.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JT Willys
Occupation
Software Developer
Ended up with +1, 20x9 wheels and 275/60R20 Nitto RG. Fit perfectly, with just a little poke. Wife wanted a "dressy wheel" as she calls her Fuel Quake wheels :) . They still look like a flower to me, but hey, that's what she wanted.

Thanks for the support.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JT Willys
Occupation
Software Developer
...and you have a Mojave which has 3/4" wider axles than my Willys. That looks just right IMO, a little wider stance than stock.

I know I over thought the whole wheels, offset, tires, poke, skateboard look, rubbing, all that, but places like Discount Tire frown upon "trying" it first ;)
Sponsored