1st time JEEP drive review by a non JEEP guy

MPFit

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500
I went overland in black / tan leather, with hardtop and audio system. Pretty basic; trying to be moderately practical with highway driving - probably won’t be doing off-roading honestly.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
My only issue with getting the alpine is then I have to do the 8" screen which is fine except then the ac controls will be the same as my Pacifica which I dont like. The hesitation on screen and push buttons. I prefer the turn dial A/C set up with the standard screen. Sounds lame I know... I just feel it is more responsive. I would probably have to do the sound upgrade aftermarket. Hard top I prefer the look but soft top is so convenient. Decisions decisions.
Aftermarket stereo upgrade. The JT does NOT get active noise cancelling, and there are plenty of good speaker upgrades in the aftermarket, so I won't be ordering the Alpine system.

And order the dual top. Problem solved...

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
So the only option available to obtain a hard top is the freedom top, correct?

Thanks for the perspective review, I'm in the same boat coming from non-Chrysler/Jeep vehicles to the first time in a Jeep. Hopefully at some point this summer i'm able to do a test drive myself.
Yes, but you can get it in black or body color and with or without a headliner. Hardtop is pretty quiet, though some have an annoying whistle (like mine). My JL didn't but JT does so I'll have the dealer look at it. It's usually a rubber gasket that isn't seated properly.

OP
OP
Epb1981

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
According to the Jeep builder, you can get the Alpine upgrade with the 7" . . . Sport S and Rubi, anyway. Haven't built an Overland . . .
I will have to play around with the different trim builds. Thanks

OP
OP
Epb1981

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
So the only option available to obtain a hard top is the freedom top, correct?

Thanks for the perspective review, I'm in the same boat coming from non-Chrysler/Jeep vehicles to the first time in a Jeep. Hopefully at some point this summer i'm able to do a test drive myself.
Yep either soft top or 3 piece hard top. Or a hybrid and you can get the hard top with the best tip sunrider which sits in place of the freedom tops

Sponsored

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that is what the dual-top package is.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I had the dual top with my YJ back in the day. Loved it. The convenience and speed of open air freedom with rain protection always along in the summer is awesome, yet every fall I would look forward to the hardtop change over. The hardtop reduces security concerns and makes it a bit quieter ride in the winter, yet every spring I would get excited for the change over.

scoobycarolanNC

First Name
Scooby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave
My only issue with getting the alpine is then I have to do the 8" screen which is fine except then the ac controls will be the same as my Pacifica which I dont like. The hesitation on screen and push buttons. I prefer the turn dial A/C set up with the standard screen. Sounds lame I know... I just feel it is more responsive. I would probably have to do the sound upgrade aftermarket. Hard top I prefer the look but soft top is so convenient. Decisions decisions.
there is still a dial with the 8” screen. I feel the same way.

Mike White

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2006 TJ, 1979 MGB
Occupation
Nuclear Emergency Planner
I have wanted a jeep since the early 80's, but never bought one for one reason or another. I was one of the first to take delivery of a JT in my area (east TN) and I love it. I added a sunrider top to give me more opportunities to open the top. After 3+ years and 60K miles, I still love it. So much so, we bought a TJ. Plenty of power, comfortable ride, and the ability to haul tools and other crap. And I can take it offroad. It's a totally different experience than driving the TJ. I love them both.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Some people just like to complain, except about the windshield. Give it time, they always seem to crack. 2 of the 3 I've owned did and I still expecting the 3rd to any day now.
2 years of ownership, about to be on windshield 5

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Hardtop and DIESEL! The diesel is night and day difference between driving that and a gasser! Torque rules!

MikeyK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
Ride quality in no particular order (joking sort of) …

2 door - meh
4 door - 👍
JT- 😍
Sponsored