OP

KR36

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I will defiantly mention these to my advisor tomorrow morning. Honestly not super happy with this Dealership, but the closest one besides this one is an hour away. They didn’t mention if they did a PCM flash, but I did notice that my Uconnect Navigation screen buttons were different. I figured maybe they had to do a flash after the new batteries were installed? They defiantly did a flash back in March because the transmission was acting weird (and still is) Once it’s been warmed up and driven around for 20+ minutes I get a weird shutter/hesitation when I hit the gas from a complete stop. That flash seemed to correct it for a week to two then it started to happen again. Just haven’t had the time to get it back in the shop. They can never get me a rental car and this is my only car…. So much for the “Perks” of a MaxCare Extended Warranty/CPO warranty…..
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I know when I take mine in, there will be much head scratching and gnashing of teeth and swear words..... they said "we plan on having it done the same day.
I should make a bet with 'em. We'll see. I'm not planning on having it back that day or even that week.
I can't even force it to misbehave. And with cooler weather setting in - it's less likely to act up, IMO.
They said "we can read other things" and so on. I'm sure they can - I hope they can. At least they'll be able to actually TEST specific sensors and other functions. I've not tried those tests myself and I know when to call in the troops - at least sometimes.....
There's more I could do - but it's warranty and I'm better off doing other things.

Last edited:

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Interesting thread since I could not take my Jeep anywhere this morning because the battery was dead. I should say everything was dead, no dash, no center console light, nothing. I later had time to jump it with a NOCO jump pack. Started right up, but now has an error icon: Auto Start stop system needs attention. So off to the dealer it will go. No problems at all leading up to this event it was all fine when I parked it about 20 hours earlier the day before.

Based on some reading suspect the Aux battery is dead and took down the Main to 4.5 volts. I'll go check the N3 fuse to see if it is blown. If it is it would have to be from a poorly routed Aux battery cable rubbing through or the Aux battery shorting out. I disable the auto start stop, so would be no indication that battery might be starting to fail. I have not been under the hood or modified anything since the dealer checked out a misfire a couple months ago, and nothing before that either. Big inconvenience though since the doors and top are off for the winter and I'll likely need to put them on now for weather protection outside of my sight.:(

OP
OP

KR36

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it back today from the dealership. Seems that they did a shit job on installing the new batteries and one of the connections on the fuse relay was loose causing the most recent tow. Hopefully this issue is fully cleared up! Just hoping I don’t have some sort of a slow drain that wasn’t caught. But I’ve got 3 years to find out with the battery warranty/install. Still odd to me that the battery would go so early…. My dads 2017 Ram 1500 with 188,000 miles still has its original battery….. Fingers crossed!!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
One of the big differences is the amount of heat that stays under the hood. It creates a desert environment for the Gladiator batteries and shortens their usable life.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Still odd to me that the battery would go so early….
My casual observation seem to show the 3 year mark is where most of these battery issues are starting to pop up more frequent with the aux battery the main culprit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Got it back today from the dealership. Seems that they did a shit job on installing the new batteries and one of the connections on the fuse relay was loose causing the most recent tow. Hopefully this issue is fully cleared up! Just hoping I don’t have some sort of a slow drain that wasn’t caught. But I’ve got 3 years to find out with the battery warranty/install. Still odd to me that the battery would go so early…. My dads 2017 Ram 1500 with 188,000 miles still has its original battery….. Fingers crossed!!
I've addressed this several times.....
I've also pasted in comments from battery vendors.
It's not odd at all for AGM batteries - used as they are in these vehicles, to die around the 3 year mark. Even some vendors say as much.
These batteries need to be kept fully charged, and the way these get driven - typically, that is, isn't going to cut it. The drain (normal) on them when they sit for a couple of days or more at a time doesn't help. Heat, especially around the area of aux battery, but the crank battery as well, is a killer.
Pull the right fender liner back and crawl under there and take a look at all of the heat shielding. The cat is up there close to the battery. There's heat shielding and insulation all over the place. It gets hot.
Even the crank battery isn't all that far from that right bank exhaust heat.

Now I gotta ask - what is a fuse relay? Just curious.......

Based on some reading suspect the Aux battery is dead and took down the Main to 4.5 volts. I'll go check the N3 fuse to see if it is blown. If it is it would have to be from a poorly routed Aux battery cable rubbing through or the Aux battery shorting out.
Doubtful it's a cable rubbing - these aren't that susceptible to that.
It's also rare for that fuse to be blown. It almost takes an accidental touch of the positive battery cable to a ground to cause it. It's a big amp fuse.
To check that fuse you'll need to take the nut off the top and remove the cable going to the aux battery. It's not a fuse you can pull and look at through a translucent case.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Yup, it's the AGM as Shadowspapa and Hootbro stated. Manufacturers have to put the AGM's in to deal with the stop/start action. A regalar lead acid battery wouldn't hold up. Wait till you have to pay for one of these AGM's. Nearly twice the money as a lead acid but hey, at least you saved a few dollars of gas during that 3 years when your battery still worked. Manufacturers don't care as they're focused on getting their CAFE numbers up.

Just replaced the AGM in my wife's Highlander. The electronics started randomly acting funny. 5 years old though that battery was. Replaced it and all the issues disappeared.

Last edited:

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
My N3 fuse was not blown. Checked the operation of my Jeep throughout yesterday, multiple start and stops of the engine and went for a short drive. Everything seems fine and even the Auto Start/Stop error message is gone. I checked it again this morning and it started right up.

Hmmm... now what? Do I keep the scheduled appointment for the dealer to look at it on Thursday or cancel since there is no active error message. There might be logged codes they could see but I doubt they will do anything like replace a battery without an active problem. I guess if it is a real problem it will show up again. I say real instead of something I did like leave the radio on or in drive or ???? Doors are off so nothing to trigger that I left the Jeep except the fob.

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Doors are off so nothing to trigger that I left the Jeep accept the fob.
You take your doors on and off a lot? A few people have reported problems with the door connector at the disconnect of pins getting bent. Might want to inspect both sides to see if there is some issue. I know the power door locks are a constant hot power on circuit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KR36

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My N3 fuse was not blown. Checked the operation of my Jeep throughout yesterday, multiple start and stops of the engine and went for a short drive. Everything seems fine and even the Auto Start/Stop error message is gone. I checked it again this morning and it started right up.

Hmmm... now what? Do I keep the scheduled appointment for the dealer to look at it on Thursday or cancel since there is no active error message. There might be logged codes they could see but I doubt they will do anything like replace a battery without an active problem. I guess if it is a real problem it will show up again. I say real instead of something I did like leave the radio on or in drive or ???? Doors are off so nothing to trigger that I left the Jeep accept the fob.
If your truck is under the 3/36k warranty still I would have them take a look. I believe that and The Jeep Wave programs will cover batteries. They ended up running mine through their quick lube service for free and did a basic battery test, which they were able to test both batteries.

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
You take your doors on and off a lot? A few people have reported problems with the door connector at the disconnect of pins getting bent. Might want to inspect both sides to see if there is some issue. I know the power door locks are a constant hot power on circuit.
Only third time doors have been off, but thanks for the heads up. Once off the doors will be off for quite a while. :)
Sponsored