New Gladiator Owner - rust protection advice needed

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
I’ve lived in the rust belt for most of my life. The fact is vehicles take a beating due to garbage roads and harsh winters. There are preventative measures but the amount of salt dumped on the roads pounds the paint and undercarriage exposing bare metal. The salt gets into every nook and cranny of vehicle. Just about every car ~10 years old will have rust in many areas. Show me a 6 year old pickup truck in MI where the rockers aren’t totally gone already. There is a solution though - move south.
Sponsored

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
On a new and clean underside...I go with an initial heavy coat of Amsoil Metal Protector HD. It goes on as a spray and dries like candlewax. Great stuff...but warning...do it in a well ventilated area the chmicals in it are no joke. If it is an older/dirtier vehicle (or after the initial Amssoil) I use the FLuid FIlm.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
If you are going to rust protect, then you need to do ASAP buying new.

I would recommend against it. I would recommend - going to car washes offering undercarriage rinse and/or buying tall car ramps, then spraying the under side yourself.

Get a foam king, soap it up, then rinse.
I plan on doing so when I get my JTM. Is it needed, meh. My JLUR we've had since new and it's been through a few winters and seen plenty of salt water while out on the beaches. Very little surface rust on the axles/diffs. So is it really a concern.......no, just wanna keep or make the new'ness last.

OP
OP
Mike-len

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
I’ve lived in the rust belt for most of my life. The fact is vehicles take a beating due to garbage roads and harsh winters. There are preventative measures but the amount of salt dumped on the roads pounds the paint and undercarriage exposing bare metal. The salt gets into every nook and cranny of vehicle. Just about every car ~10 years old will have rust in many areas. Show me a 6 year old pickup truck in MI where the rockers aren’t totally gone already. There is a solution though - move south.
100% agreed. This place is horrible. Cold winter, hot summers and riots. I’ve lived in the South though, specifically Florida. I’ll stay here and eventually head west.
Sponsored