Sponsored

2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Those are super neat!

However, even the Mojave Road would be too rough for a nice rig like that. 360 deg hitch is a bare minimum requirement - the trailer concept is now very popular with my wife, so where we would have tent camped 20 years ago we want to bring a trailer.

Might I suggest a Base camp we love ours and its right in the sweet spot for the JT...3500 dry, 4300 loaded...

tempImageV3iu0y.jpg
Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Let me say this AGAIN. No a Rubicon is NOT rated to tow/haul 7,000 pounds. You can NOT just go by the chart, you HAVE to add in the disclaimers and then go back through the whole section and do ALL the math. Major disclaimer is 150 pound driver, completely stock vehicle, NO OTHER ADDED WEIGHT IN VEHICLE.

If you ignore the disclaimers and all the math, and if you have mechanical issues OR are involved in accident and found out to be overloaded, JEEP has ZERO liability and you may find yourself on the hook for any damages caused in either scenario.

So, you have to work it like a math formula. Weight of driver and passengers, weight of the JT, weight of all gear in the cab and in the bed, 10%-15% of trailer weight on tongue. Then you get to subtract that from the GVWR. If you're overweight, then you have to lighten the trailer weight to get the tongue weight down to where you are good.
150# driver? Who’s driving, Olive Oil?