Sponsored

2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer?

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Your into base entry level camper model there but I think you are on the right track weight wise, I just got a 2016 Vista Cruiser 19ERD, 23’ from hitch to bumper 3140 pounds 4100 max GVWR, tongue weight 380. Look for used ones, they are out there but go quick.
Heading out next weekend on our first trip with four other campers. Taking four people and a dog along be a weigh weenie! Watch how much you pack and read the manual know what combined Gross weight rating is and what your payload is, sure to use a weight distributing hitch….Jack
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. That being said, when the time comes, I’ll be looking to keep it under 5,000 lbs given the other considerations.
I think that’s totally reasonable, depending on your roads and driving distance. For example, I wouldn’t hesitate to get much closer to the max rating for an in town Home Depot run or equivalent. But with long distance highway and a bed loaded up, I like our 3k trailer. All variables need to be considered.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I think that’s totally reasonable, depending on your roads and driving distance. For example, I wouldn’t hesitate to get much closer to the max rating for an in town Home Depot run or equivalent. But with long distance highway and a bed loaded up, I like our 3k trailer. All variables need to be considered.
This ∆

Those max weights are crazy talk. Ratings for the manufacturer to post.

Those 7000 pound numbers mean that the jeep won't melt into a pile of molten metal on the side of the road. They don't mean that any reasonable person would find the experience worthwhile over the long term.

Maybe to home Depot for a load of wood or something.

Towing in any headwind or at any grade or elevation and you will quickly regret your decision.

These are not towing rigs. They can tow but it is not their design intent.

And as far as shifting it manually and keeping the rpm low that make no sense whatsoever. These are small block high rpm engines that make their power with higher rpm.

Keeping the rpm low (for what reason I can't imagine) is basically forcing the engine out of its design spec. Lugging or at least running at lower rpm than intended.

Youd be better off manually shifting and running in 6th at higher rpm if the tow weight is high. Or just letting the transmission do it's thing.

In any event the advice of 3500 being a decent average tow weight and 5000 being a reasonable max is a good place to be.

Unless you aren't interested in longevity or protecting your investment.

This is the reality of a mid size truck. The published limits are well above what makes sense over the long term.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This ∆

Those max weights are crazy talk. Ratings for the manufacturer to post.

Those 7000 pound numbers mean that the jeep won't melt into a pile of molten metal on the side of the road. They don't mean that any reasonable person would find the experience worthwhile over the long term.

Maybe to home Depot for a load of wood or something.

Towing in any headwind or at any grade or elevation and you will quickly regret your decision.

These are not towing rigs. They can tow but it is not their design intent.

And as far as shifting it manually and keeping the rpm low that make no sense whatsoever. These are small block high rpm engines that make their power with higher rpm.

Keeping the rpm low (for what reason I can't imagine) is basically forcing the engine out of its design spec. Lugging or at least running at lower rpm than intended.

Youd be better off manually shifting and running in 6th at higher rpm if the tow weight is high. Or just letting the transmission do it's thing.

In any event the advice of 3500 being a decent average tow weight and 5000 being a reasonable max is a good place to be.

Unless you aren't interested in longevity or protecting your investment.

This is the reality of a mid size truck. The published limits are well above what makes sense over the long term.
Exactly. There’s a big difference between a loaded utility trailer for 20 in town miles, and interstate speeds over windy mountain passes for 300 miles, or much more. The high rpm statements are right on. Trying to lower rpm’s on the 3.6 for gas mileage just makes you slow down. Let the auto tranny do it’s thing. If it sounds too labored on a steep incline or headwind, slow down and relax. If you’re towing a camper, you’re already on vacation. :)

Sponsored

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I have a stone stock Overland and tow a 27', 5,300 lb (loaded) trailer. No muss, no fuss. Manual shift the auto, keep RPMs 2,500 or less...around 2,000 RPMs in 7th at 65 mph...I get around 13 mpg with mine. Of course, this is east coast relatively flat towing, the occasional North Carolina. Will hit the Shenandoah Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway one of these years then we'll see what the fuel economy will be ;)

This is my rig...

Jeep Gladiator 2020 Rubicon auto... looking for a travel trailer, is 4,500ish lbs going to too much to reasoably tow or should I limit to a 3,500 lbs trailer? 24C80F8D-1847-454A-85F1-59E4A5B222C8
Can I ask what weight distribution hitch you're using?

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Can I ask what weight distribution hitch you're using?
I have the BlueOx system...both weight distribution and sway control in one unit. It was highly recommended to me by the place I bought my trailer from. Both the sales person I dealt with and most of the mechanics there who have trailers use it and are very satisfied with it's performance...as am I :)

DavidBT

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2005 TJ Rubicon
Occupation
Happily Retired
I have the BlueOx system...both weight distribution and sway control in one unit. It was highly recommended to me by the place I bought my trailer from. Both the sales person I dealt with and most of the mechanics there who have trailers use it and are very satisfied with it's performance...as am I :)
Thanks, the dealer where we picked up our trailer stocks the camco recurve and that's what they installed, not too sure about it yet. I've been researching the Anderson manufacturing hitch. I really liked their aluminum 5th wheel hitch with our 5th wheel, easy to get in and out of the bed of the truck. Thanks

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have maintained from day one that for the most satisfactory towing experience stay below 60% of the factory rating.

That proprietary,unscientific and to some controversial opinion has made more than one person here get bulging veins in their forehead.

But I'll stick to it, and say the lighter you can keep it and the more aerodynamic you can keep it, the more you will enjoy it.

OP
OP
cgm

cgm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Rubicon
I found a perfect used camper this weekend... but i need a loan, so they took cash instead of waiting for a day. oh well. the search continues.

Sponsored

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
You’ll need to worry more about payload when u figure kids, adults, dogs and tongue weigh. that’s where most people go way way over. I get you tho.
just my take and keep that in mind and don’t listen to lot lizard salesguys. They’re there to sell, no do your homework….

Partysub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 sting gray mojave
I towed pretty much that exact coleman when I had my tacoma, which towed a little bit worse than my current mojave. I also towed it with no weight distribution hitch and we were loaded for a family of 4 will full water tanks in utah to moab. It really wasn't that bad. It was very manageable and I wouldn't hesitate to pull that weight again. Thats said, the coleman was pretty much the worst trailer I've rented. The model we had only had electric heat (not ideal when boondocking in october) and was about as cheap as you can make these with almost everything failing during our 3 days, and that camper was brand new.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Let me say this AGAIN. No a Rubicon is NOT rated to tow/haul 7,000 pounds. You can NOT just go by the chart, you HAVE to add in the disclaimers and then go back through the whole section and do ALL the math. Major disclaimer is 150 pound driver, completely stock vehicle, NO OTHER ADDED WEIGHT IN VEHICLE.

If you ignore the disclaimers and all the math, and if you have mechanical issues OR are involved in accident and found out to be overloaded, JEEP has ZERO liability and you may find yourself on the hook for any damages caused in either scenario.

So, you have to work it like a math formula. Weight of driver and passengers, weight of the JT, weight of all gear in the cab and in the bed, 10%-15% of trailer weight on tongue. Then you get to subtract that from the GVWR. If you're overweight, then you have to lighten the trailer weight to get the tongue weight down to where you are good.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I wouldn’t hesitate to pull 5k.

I pulled a loaded down E3 pop-up that weighed 4300lbs with a 3.0L V6 Montero Sport.

The Gladiator can run circles around that setup!
Sponsored