2021 Bronco

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I know all about the importance of regearing. That's why the max tow looks like a good option for me.

We rented a JK last summer and the first time we went up a hill, both me and my wife looked each other and thought ????

The engine sounded like it was trying to tear itself apart, and only had power in the upper rpm range.

I'm doing everything I possibly can to like this engine because the Gladiator is really perfect for me in so many ways, but I keep finding the same fundamental flaw, and I would like to correct it since FCA won't do it for me.

Having said all that....I'm sure the engine would be perfect with a positive displacement charger, but that's another 6k.

The Livernois tune has some appeal, but its a locked tune and that's what's putting me off.

If the beancouners at FCA had only specced the engine out differently than the one in a Challenger, I'm sure I would like it a lot better.

What kind of a truck engine has it's torque peak at 4800rpm????

Pffffff

It needs to be at 3000-3500 to be a proper off road engine. I think the old 4.0 peaked at 2700 or something..

Pentagram? Lol.
The 3.6l doesn’t suck. It actually does just fine. The 2.0T sounds good on paper, but that engine is way too peaky and unrefined. I started to hate it in my Cherokee loaner. Look at the 3.6l and 2.0t performance numbers on the JLs, the 2.0 doesn’t perform well.

I don't know anything about your Jeep, so this isn’t directed to you, but I love how many people throw on 35s and 37s and don’t re-gear and complain that the 3.6l sucks. Wtf did you expect? I intentionally only went to a 33.5” tire, and one of the lighter options at that, because I know I only have 3.73 gears and I understand physics.
Sponsored

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Ford did an awesome job on the bronco and if it wasn't for the wrangler gaining in popularity, it may never have been built. Maybe Toyota brings back the FJ that everyone wants?

Iam excited to see how the bronco does after release and how FCA responds to a more competitive market.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I know all about the importance of regearing. That's why the max tow looks like a good option for me.

We rented a JK last summer and the first time we went up a hill, both me and my wife looked each other and thought ????

The engine sounded like it was trying to tear itself apart, and only had power in the upper rpm range.

I'm doing everything I possibly can to like this engine because the Gladiator is really perfect for me in so many ways, but I keep finding the same fundamental flaw, and I would like to correct it since FCA won't do it for me.

Having said all that....I'm sure the engine would be perfect with a positive displacement charger, but that's another 6k.

The Livernois tune has some appeal, but its a locked tune and that's what's putting me off.

If the beancouners at FCA had only specced the engine out differently than the one in a Challenger, I'm sure I would like it a lot better.

What kind of a truck engine has it's torque peak at 4800rpm????

Pffffff

It needs to be at 3000-3500 to be a proper off road engine. I think the old 4.0 peaked at 2700 or something..
First of all, the old 4.0 would be a dog in the considerably heavier JT. If you had a rental, maybe it wasn’t properly maintained. I worked for enterprise for four years when I lived in CO. I even ran their S CO fleet for a while. I can’t even begin to tell you the abuse that rental cars take. It’s also super sad how many brand new vehicles I’ve seen with 15k, 20k, or even more before their first oil changes. The branches get swamped sometimes and don’t have enough cars and they just reset the oil change light. One time probably isn’t the end of the world, but the cars get moved around so much to different branches and even different cities that it happens way more than it should.

My 3.6l sounds great, for a V6, in the upper RPM range. It’s super smooth, likes to rev, and is very well mated to the ZF 8 speed.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
My thing with the IFS is that when people say it’ll ride “better” everywhere else, they mean it’ll ride like every other vehicle on the road. For me that’s a negative

On that note, a huge pet peeve of mine is how crazy light the steering is on modern trucks. Zero connection to the road. The JT steers very similar to my JK, and I really like it.

Ok I’m done with the whining

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My thing with the IFS is that when people say it’ll ride “better” everywhere else, they mean it’ll ride like every other vehicle on the road. For me that’s a negative

On that note, a huge pet peeve of mine is how crazy light the steering is on modern trucks. Zero connection to the road. The JT steers very similar to my JK, and I really like it.

Ok I’m done with the whining
Now that I had my steering gear box replaced, upgraded to bigger, better heavier tires, and upgraded to a Fox steering stabilizer and take off Rubicon shocks, I agree. It drives great. The steering isn’t super sensitive, but it finally tracks well and feels solid and like I can just drive over anything I want and I’m good.

Sponsored

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
That’s really cool that’s they did that. I hate the name though, what focus group came up with that brilliant idea?
I think they got the idea from the Jeep crowd. I've seen a lot of Sasquach stickers on Jeeps.

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
They’re about to create an entire Bronco sub brand. GM does just fine with the GMC/Chevy twins.
that's more because chevy/gmc has the honda/acura, toyota/lexus thing going on with the everyman brand and the luxury version of it. there are people that refuse to buy chevy, but love gmc and vice-versa. aside from the exterior looks and badging, the canyon and colorado are identical trucks (i actually tested both and bought a canyon that i traded in for my gladiator). i don't see ford devoting the resources to make an internal competitor to the ranger because it would be a fundamentally different midsize truck, not a reskin. don't get me wrong, i'd love to see a bronco pickup, but I don't see it happening.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I feel like Jeep is making a big mistake emphasizing the possibility of the 6.4 in the JL/JT. Too expensive. If Jeep wants to fight this threat, they should run the 5.7 and price it to undercut the Bronco. Easy, quick and popular. They'd sell a metric butt ton of them.

If they don't, then . . . (fill in your own ending).
. . . huge drop in sales and resale (IMO).

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Pentagram? Lol.
The 3.6l doesn’t suck. It actually does just fine. The 2.0T sounds good on paper, but that engine is way too peaky and unrefined. I started to hate it in my Cherokee loaner. Look at the 3.6l and 2.0t performance numbers on the JLs, the 2.0 doesn’t perform well.

I don't know anything about your Jeep, so this isn’t directed to you, but I love how many people throw on 35s and 37s and don’t re-gear and complain that the 3.6l sucks. Wtf did you expect? I intentionally only went to a 33.5” tire, and one of the lighter options at that, because I know I only have 3.73 gears and I understand physics.

edit: I just read your profile. You’re also at high altitude. I lived in CO for four years, it makes a huge impact on n/a engines. I understand your point better now about the 2.0t, but it’s just not a great engine.
I totally agree with the statement of people with 3:73 gears throwing on larger tires a complaining, that gets me as well. No complaints from me though on 35's with 4.10 gears, my has out performed my expectations. I was hoping to get at least 17 on 35's and I'm getting close to 19 average city and highway. I also find the 3.6 to be adequate power wise. Would I like a hemi, yep, but I'm totally pleased with the engine and it's capabilities. Coming from a 3.8 JKU and I owned a few of the 4.0 Jeep's and a 5.7 liter Hemi Commander.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I have been bouncing over to the Bronco Forum to see what all the hub bub was about. What I find interesting is that people are reserving more that one based on the lack of package pricing. Reservations consist of a $100 refundable deposit.
When Ford post their reservation numbers I believe they will be about 25% higher than realistic reservations.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have been bouncing over to the Bronco Forum to see what all the hub bub was about. What I find interesting is that people are reserving more that one based on the lack of package pricing. Reservations consist of a $100 refundable deposit.
When Ford post their reservation numbers I believe they will be about 25% higher than realistic reservations.
Reservation spots can get pretty valuable when models sell out. A first edition Bronco spot could earn you a few bucks today.

OP
OP
Nannook of the north

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
100% I thought the reservation was funny they must need money for something. They will sell many for sure but it’s not like there is going to be a shortage of them.
Sponsored