First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
And I gotta say, I just got out of a 2017 F350 dually that was a loaded truck with very low miles when we traded it, and it had 17 active recalls. Seven. Teen. It also had rear tires that just wouldn’t hold air, and the dealership‘s advice was, well we can’t find anything so guess you’ll just need to keep adding air. No shit. So I’ll never buy another modern Ford product unless they really change their entire business model. Ford dealers give new meaning to the term “stealership”. 50k ADM on Broncos, and so far that launch and product have to be their biggest shit show since the Edsel. Don’t take my word for it though. Just go over to the BroncoG6 forum and look at the almost laughable incompetence that permeates the Bronco team, and product. From separating hardtops to poor fit soft tops to wigging out electronics. It’s nuts. No thanks. A new Bronco was a great idea and should have been a great product. So far though, it isn’t. Not even close. Swing and a miss.
Sponsored

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
Just go over to the BroncoG6 forum and look at the almost laughable incompetence that permeates the Bronco team, and product. From separating hardtops to poor fit soft tops to wigging out electronics.
They've certainly dug themselves quite a hole. I was optimistic when I reserved earlier this year, but I am mostly glad I didn't wait and bought a JT. At this point, my biggest disappointment would be if Jeep introduced an Xe Gladiator in the next few months. Guess I'd be headed back to the dealership.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TFL tests Wrangler 4xe against a Bronco with a 2.7T. Now, while I don't necessarily think the Bronco showed its best. It wasn't even close. The 4xe walked the bronco like somebody stole its turbos.

Like I've said in the past, the 4xe is the new era's 5.7L Hemi. Forget the greenwashing garbage.
Just think about the 375 hp and 470 ft-lbs of torque.

Don't forget that there is never any need to plug in a hybrid. Even a plug in hybrid. Just drive it like a normal car in hybrid mode and you will get great performance with decent fuel economy.

If this is offered in the Gladiator, I will pull the trigger. Finally.

Scottdip

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition
And I gotta say, I just got out of a 2017 F350 dually that was a loaded truck with very low miles when we traded it, and it had 17 active recalls. Seven. Teen. It also had rear tires that just wouldn’t hold air, and the dealership‘s advice was, well we can’t find anything so guess you’ll just need to keep adding air. No shit. So I’ll never buy another modern Ford product unless they really change their entire business model. Ford dealers give new meaning to the term “stealership”. 50k ADM on Broncos, and so far that launch and product have to be their biggest shit show since the Edsel. Don’t take my word for it though. Just go over to the BroncoG6 forum and look at the almost laughable incompetence that permeates the Bronco team, and product. From separating hardtops to poor fit soft tops to wigging out electronics. It’s nuts. No thanks. A new Bronco was a great idea and should have been a great product. So far though, it isn’t. Not even close. Swing and a miss.
Lets not throw stones while we are living in a glass house.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
One other thought regarding engines.

The base engine on a Bronco is a 2.3L turbo with 300 hp and 325 lb ft of torque.

$1800 gets you a 2.7L V6 turbo with 330 hp and 415 ft-lbs of torque.

$500 gets you a tune for either that bumps HP and torque by roughly 80 hp and 80 ftlbs.

There is nothing like this available on the Jeep.
This is correct. Jeep doesn't have a family of engines that have lists of TSBs and recalls a mile long. Jeep doesn't have an engine family that has been the subject of lawsuits because the fuel economy doesn't come close to what the Monroney sticker advertises. Jeep doesn't have engines that need repair so frequently that the techncians who work on them swear they would never own one themselves.

What Jeep does have is an engine that makes 442 lb/ft at 1,500 RPM.

For $800 you can add 70 lb/ft more.

For $400 you can add an additional 39 lb/ft on top of that.

AND, in the process of delivering that 551 lb/ft of torque, you're getting 24 MPG which is double what the Bronco will get in the real world.

In fact, if you look at Wrangler there are FIVE powertrain options. Bronco? You can have whatever you want as long as it's an EcoBUST.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
When I had a modestly improved ‘06 Mustang living in an area with a lot of exotic cars, I would win most of light-to-light races due mostly to tires and gear selection. Billet lower control arms also helped. A surprising number of the other drivers were in awe thinking the Mustang would continue to beat them if the race were longer. Truth was after 60 mph they would all start to crush my humble car. But the next red light would prevent the higher speed and that knowledge.
You just brought back fond memories of my '79 Ramcharger. Fresh '69 440 6 pack engine with a single 4 barrel carb. 4:56 gears and 40x18 mudders.
I would blow away the mustangs and trans ams of the day running light to light. While towing my 17ft boat. Of course, once ya hit 60-70mph and aerodynamics kicked in, it was like trying to push a brick wall down the highway. Made the Gladiator seem like a Concorde jet in comparison.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Bronco. 1627563423644

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Jeep doesn't have a family of engines that have lists of TSBs and recalls a mile long.
When the Focus started blowing head gaskets their solution was to detune the engine... such brilliant masterminds at ford. I have a strange feeling that's the same 2.3L turbo that is in the Bronco.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
When the Focus started blowing head gaskets their solution was to detune the engine... such brilliant masterminds at ford. I have a strange feeling that's the same 2.3L turbo that is in the Bronco.
Not to mention the way the blocks were cracking between #2 and #3 cylinder on the Mustangs.

I've had the misfortune of doing a timing job on my brother's 3.5L EcoBust. It's the one that was such a horrible engine Ford scrapped it completely after 5 years and started over from scratch with a Gen 2 version that shared zero parts. Anyway, the way that engine is designed and built is such an incredible joke a guy would have to see it to believe it.

I have a friend who is a 20 year career master tech over at the local Ford garage. He's also a big racing guy and has a few Mustangs he races in competition. He told me he'll never have an EcoBust in his driveway. He said he works on those all day every day and he's sick of seeing them.

If those engines provided a true MPG gain maybe there would be a case for them. But across the internet we've seen that they actually drink fuel like a V8. So what's the point of an unreliable engine family that doesn't net you any gains??

arsy51

First Name
arsy51
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Overland - Hydro Blue; '02 Honda RC51 SP2
Vehicle Showcase
TFL tests Wrangler 4xe against a Bronco with a 2.7T. Now, while I don't necessarily think the Bronco showed its best. It wasn't even close. The 4xe walked the bronco like somebody stole its turbos.
I watched this last night and was really impressed with that unofficial drag race. That 4XE smoked the Bronco.

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have a friend who is a 20 year career master tech over at the local Ford garage. He's also a big racing guy and has a few Mustangs he races in competition. He told me he'll never have an EcoBust in his driveway. He said he works on those all day every day and he's sick of seeing them.
Not trying to disagree with a professional but if you work in a ford garage and 75% of the engines sold are ecoboost you are goign to see a LOT of them in your career. I do agree though ford has some big quality issues going on, it's not just with their engines though.

In theory a turbo smaller engine would provide more power for less weight and size. This is foolish on a pickup 75% of the engine bay is unused empty space (exaggeration). For most vehicles turbo is foolish as it decreases reliability and offers little in return. That said you can try and pry my turbo subarus from my cold... dead ... hands.

Sponsored

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
My husband wanted a Bronco until we drove it yesterday. That thing is stupid slow and it makes our Gladiators look like a sports car in comparison. We were both extremely disappointed. I understand off roading isn’t meant for fast cars and I’m not comparing it to that. I felt almost unsafe as I couldn’t get out of the way fast enough. Even Prius were passing me while I had my foot to the floor!

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Lets not throw stones while we are living in a lexan house.
ftfy.

for anyone who's had experience with high-velocity impacts with lexan. :LOL:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Or the 5.4s blowing out the sparkplugs. When Ford fixed that in ~2010, the "next gen" 5.4 sparkplugs would break upon removal.

gmcul8r

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1963 IH Scout
Occupation
Buyer
I had a chance to test drive a 2.3L 4-Door Manual Badlands (non-Sas) last week and I wasn't really impressed. It did not drive as nice on-road as I thought it would (IFS), and it definitely wasn't fast. My JTM on 35's definitely rides nicer with FAR less body roll. The weight of the clutch and manual engagement were nice, lack of a true tachometer was not. I didn't like the driving position and the interior seemed cheap and unnecessarily bulky (High Package w/ Leather).

I was all in on the Bronco and had 2 day 1 reservations, even a FE. I cancelled bc I kept having to make sacrifices on my build, and I lacked confidence that the Bronco wouldn't have it's growing pains. After driving the Bronco I have zero regrets with my decision to go JTM instead. Well,,,, maybe some regret in not trying to flip that FE for profit. However, I am happy that Ford jumped into the ring and hopefully others will follow. Competition will only create better options for the consumer.

Reactions: mog

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Lets not throw stones while we are living in a glass house.
Not throwing any stones bub. Just recounting my own personal experience with a Ford, and the act so far with the Bronco on their own forum.
This Mojave might turn out to be made of glass indeed, but so far, zero issues, and by this time in the F350 it had been in the shop 3 times. Before this Mojave I had a 2019 JLUR, also with zero issues for the year and 3 months I owned it before trading it on this Mojave, getting back what I paid for the JLUR plus 7.5k off the Mojave MSRP (shout out to Benson Jeep in Greer, SC), so, adjusted dealer mark DOWN for me. Also I won’t even go into the myriad of issues my son had with his bought new 2017 Focus RS, which he kept in immaculate condition but Ford just couldn’t figure out how to stop a persistent and significant oil leak, amongst other issues. So, we are not without direct experience with Ford products. Nor are we without direct experience with Jeep products, which, so far, have been as reliable as the four Toyotas we’ve owned in the past 15 years.
So I have no idea what your glass house reference even means in this context. Worthless reply and post there Scotty.
Sponsored

Last edited: