Sponsored

2021 Mojave - which backspacing is better 17x8 with 4.50 backspacing or 17x8 with 5.0 backspacing?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Rubicon trim. I'll be running 35x11.5r17 or 35x12.5r17. I'm leaning towards 35x11.5r17 to be on the safe side here. I don't want to spend my hard earned cash to get a fix it ticket
You should be able to run a +30 offset wheel with up to 37” tires on a Rubi without rubbing, unless you do a lift with straight lower control arms or outboard shock mounts. Because most rubbing occurs at the control arms, many people find it easier to evaluate wheel applications using offset rather than backspacing.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Width of the wheel is irrelevant wrt backspacing. The width only matters when used with the offset. Backspacing is backspacing. IOW, 4.5" backspacing on a 7.5" rim and 4.5" backspacing on a 9" rim is still 4.5" backspacing. The different is how much of the rim will stick out.
We’ve had this argument, and you are misrepresenting things. There are no absolutes.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It depends on which trim you have, and what size tires you will be running. Nothing is absolute.
Width of the wheel is irrelevant wrt backspacing. The width only matters when used with the offset. Backspacing is backspacing. IOW, 4.5" backspacing on a 7.5" rim and 4.5" backspacing on a 9" rim is still 4.5" backspacing. The different is how much of the rim will stick out.
So then I guess
You should be able to run a +30 offset wheel with up to 37” tires on a Rubi without rubbing, unless you do a lift with straight lower control arms or outboard shock mounts. Because most rubbing occurs at the control arms, many people find it easier to evaluate wheel applications using offset rather than backspacing.
Thanks. No lift in the plans. Just 35s for now. That'll give me an extra inch of ground clearance, and an aggressive stance, while saving the wallet.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
So then I guess

Thanks. No lift in the plans. Just 35s for now. That'll give me an extra inch of ground clearance, and an aggressive stance, while saving the wallet.
Just to clarify, when I stated “no rubbing”, that was in reference to control arms, and not inner fenders. You may have minor fender liner rubbing during extreme articulation with 35s. There would be more with 37s, and bump stop spacers would be recommended.
Sponsored