Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Well, I'm the site owner, so let me get right to it!
LOL...Thanks

Oh...and excellent idea on the nut-sert in the bottom of the front spring. Such a simple idea...surprised noone else has brought it up.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
LOL...Thanks

Oh...and excellent idea on the nut-sert in the bottom of the front spring. Such a simple idea...surprised noone else has brought it up.
I'm just lazy by nature!

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm just lazy by nature!
Oh I don't see that as being lazy. It could really save some time getting the puck height just right.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Oh I don't see that as being lazy. It could really save some time getting the puck height just right.
Good point!

I don't have any scientific testing method in mind. I think I'll just fix things I see now, then take it out on a trail ride and see what works and what doesn't. I suspect this Clayton kit is going to be outstanding, especially with the Falcon shocks. Adam the half-owner of Clayton sent me both sets of rear springs. I installed the standard springs but may drop in the Heavier duty offerings. I was going to do a GF2 or even an Alu-Cab and that would require a bit more spring out back.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point!

I don't have any scientific testing method in mind. I think I'll just fix things I see now, then take it out on a trail ride and see what works and what doesn't. I suspect this Clayton kit is going to be outstanding, especially with the Falcon shocks. Adam the half-owner of Clayton sent me both sets of rear springs. I installed the standard springs but may drop in the Heavier duty offerings. I was going to do a GF2 or even an Alu-Cab and that would require a bit more spring out back.
There are numerous folks on here that have done just that and report that they are happy. Several other manufacturers were initially used, but folks tend to go to Clayton when they experience sagging. I like the fact that they were the ones that did the work on the diesel models. Other larger companies just want to add a puck to the top of the spring and call it good, when an increase in spring rate is also needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
As far as the Clayton springs are concerned, the ones you are talking about look and feel heavier. I think they stand just a little taller as well. I think I recall Adam saying that if I installed those springs in an unladen truck it would be more like a 4"-4.5" lift and would ride rougher.

I did a lot of reading/studying before selecting Clayton. Now having dealt with them, I will testify that they are just down-home good folks.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as the Clayton springs are concerned, the ones you are talking about look and feel heavier. I think they stand just a little taller as well. I think I recall Adam saying that if I installed those springs in an unladen truck it would be more like a 4"-4.5" lift and would ride rougher.

I did a lot of reading/studying before selecting Clayton. Now having dealt with them, I will testify that they are just down-home good folks.
That's what I've gathered as well. I ran into the "Factory issue) Star fix on the 21' diesel models where they replaced the shocks and front bump stops, and it seemed to do the trick. I added the Badlands 12K winch and was back in the same boat. That's +400#'s for the motor plus the weight of the winch. A couple of weekends ago I added a 1" spring spacer to move the stance back to stock height after losing an inch with the winch and normal sag over the past year. Now, most of us that have the 3.0L are under a safety recall on the CP4 pump, which isn't available. I imagine it has something to do with it being a German part and I imagine they're in war time mode with what all is going on. I just don't want to sink a bunch of $$$ into it until it's good to go to prevent them from finding an excuse not to cover it if you pick up what I'm throwing down...

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
On that CP4 pump thing. I have a couple of trucks, and one has a built Duramax engine. They came from the factory with a CP4A pump. In the D-max, and I believe the Ford too, those pumps were grenading, taking out the entire fuel system resulting in like a $10K repair.
A lot of us replaced the ticking time bomb CP4 pump with the earlier CP3 pump.

I did it to my truck and added a larger turbo also. It was a bit of work, but once you're done, you're done. The CP3 flows a bunch more than the CP4 junk. If you're out of warranty, you may want to consider going that route. Then get the Canadians to give you a 500 hp tune!

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On that CP4 pump thing. I have a couple of trucks, and one has a built Duramax engine. They came from the factory with a CP4A pump. In the D-max, and I believe the Ford too, those pumps were grenading, taking out the entire fuel system resulting in like a $10K repair.
A lot of us replaced the ticking time bomb CP4 pump with the earlier CP3 pump.

I did it to my truck and added a larger turbo also. It was a bit of work, but once you're done, you're done. The CP3 flows a bunch more than the CP4 junk. If you're out of warranty, you may want to consider going that route. Then get the Canadians to give you a 500 hp tune!
Yeah...I've read. I've heard different things from today's fuel has a lot fewer lubricating properties to it, to the grenadeing occurs when cavitation occurs when air is introduced to the lines. I've always added supplements to my other vehicles with diesel engines.

I've also seen an article regarding the CP3 and that it scavenges lubrication from the motor instead of the CP4 lubricating from the diesel. I just went over 20,000 so I have another 80k on the warranty. I figure they'll come up with a fix. If not, and I'm making payments on a lump sitting in the parking lot I'll revisit my options. I'll have a better leg to stand on if it ever came to that.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
This is highly technical and way off-subject, but you are correct. LSD fuel has as little as 15PPM of sulfur which acts to lubricate the pump piston surfaces. Bosh the maker of the pumps came out years ago stating they cannot build a pump that will survive in that harsh environment.
They cite something called a "Scar" rating or Scar test. In that test, a piece of metal is subjected to "X" amount of time rubbing against similar and dissimilar metals. The resulting micro scratches are measured on a micron level with a powerful microscope.
Sulfur fuels result in virtually no scarring whereas LSD fuel creates scars that exceed manufacturers' ratings and eventually lead to accelerated wear.
Before the onset of the CP3 pump conversions, everyone was switching to additives. I used Opti-lube. Then later on, perhaps 5 years into that engine's life I just poured a quart of transmission fluid into the tank and even waste oil I just drained from the crankcase after I ran it through a bunch of cotton diapers.
I have owned my truck for 12 years and 140K with zero issues ever. I replaced the CP4A at around 70K I think. No one here in the tuck that I know who adds transmission fluid to their tanks ever has any injection pump nor injector problems. Another key fix is the addition of a quality lift pump. Be prepared for sticker shock there, but they have forever motors. I noticed some of them have the same motors as the aux electric hydraulic pump in a jet I used to fly. Feel free to contact me offline to discuss this...But I'd keep that diesel and learn to keep it alive. At least you have some power!

Sponsored

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
Awesome looking build, I am excited to see what more you have planned for it. I see you tested it on the DBBB, I went last year for the first time and loved it. If you haven't ran the KAT yet, you will enjoy that too - I ran about half of it between Christmas and New Years, starting near Stanton and running counterclockwise to Harlan.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Awesome looking build, I am excited to see what more you have planned for it. I see you tested it on the DBBB, I went last year for the first time and loved it. If you haven't ran the KAT yet, you will enjoy that too - I ran about half of it between Christmas and New Years, starting near Stanton and running counterclockwise to Harlan.
Roger all that

Yes, I am excited to get back down there, but can't decide where to start. At the moment I am thinking of driving to Jellico, TN, then work my way north for 3 days. I think there is a guy with a company who takes folks on 2-4 day KAT tours. Thinking a big drive like that IS NOT a solo. Someone would find my bones a year or two later, while my relatives wonder, "Why doesn't he call?" 8-0

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
When I relax the rear axle like it was on a lift, the rear droops so far that the springs actually come out of their top pockets!

I am thinking I may have to do something about that...
I saw a comment or two where you mentioned talking to Adam - did you run this question by him? I would expect he'd have some good answer ... or he'd start working on one if he hears that it's a problem.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I saw a comment or two where you mentioned talking to Adam - did you run this question by him? I would expect he'd have some good answer ... or he'd start working on one if he hears that it's a problem.
They are monitoring my posts and already have seen what I posted. I plan to follow up with a short call to trade ideas with them. Great people to deal with...

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)