real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
Today I got a lot of the Clayton Engineering front suspension installed here:

AEV Gladiator Rubicon (real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com)

I changed up how you'd install the lower bump stop inside the spring. I drilled it and used a Nut-Sert tool to create some permanent threads which made that awkward part of the install super easy.

DSC01182 (Medium).JPG

DSC01183 (Medium).JPG

DSC01189 (Medium).JPG

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Question for anyone out there who has installed the 3.5" Clayton Over-Land kit. Did you use suspension limit straps for the backend?

When I relax the rear axle like it was on a lift, the rear droops so far that the springs actually come out of their top pockets!

I am thinking I may have to do something about that...

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Question for anyone out there who has installed the 3.5" Clayton Over-Land kit. Did you use suspension limit straps for the backend?

When I relax the rear axle like it was on a lift, the rear droops so far that the springs actually come out of their top pockets!

I am thinking I may have to do something about that...
TeraFlex makes / sells upper and lower rear spring retention plates. Simple solution.

JT: Coil Spring Retainer Kit - Rear Upper and Rear Lower

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TeraFlex makes / sells upper and lower rear spring retention plates. Simple solution.

JT: Coil Spring Retainer Kit - Rear Upper and Rear Lower
I may as well add this link also. I was looking for the rear upper (axle end) relocation brackets and didn't find them individually for some reason. The kit in the link below can be added to the Clayton kit and removes the troublesome frame attachment point for the anti-sway bar links. The kit also includes the spring retention kit and a rethought rear anti sway bar where the end links attach to the axle not 8 +/- behind it creating another hang up point. It requires a 4.75 in back spaced wheel, which I believe the Icon wheel meets. You wouldn't need the extended break lines since the clayton kit has them, but this does have 16" of travel, so it's possible the Clayton kit may fall a bit short.

Teraflex - JT: Extended-Travel System

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Did you end up keeping the AEV springs?

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Off topic but……….
Agony, Heartbreak, Misery. I will never forget them.
You'll think I'm psycho, but that was my last assignment as an enlisted Tanker. Went to flight school next. I used to push troops and would actually jog up and down those awful hills

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I may as well add this link also. I was looking for the rear upper (axle end) relocation brackets and didn't find them individually for some reason. The kit in the link below can be added to the Clayton kit and removes the troublesome frame attachment point for the anti-sway bar links. The kit also includes the spring retention kit and a rethought rear anti sway bar where the end links attach to the axle not 8 +/- behind it creating another hang up point. It requires a 4.75 in back spaced wheel, which I believe the Icon wheel meets. You wouldn't need the extended break lines since the clayton kit has them, but this does have 16" of travel, so it's possible the Clayton kit may fall a bit short.

Teraflex - JT: Extended-Travel System
This is good. I'll be ordering that kit. Too bad I didn't have it to install now while its all torn down!

Edit: $981!!!!!!! Whoa...I won't be ordering that kit. I see what hey are doing. Mounting the bar on the frame and running the links downward. I did that on a Hummer build of mine some years ago. Now this has me thinking. I wonder if I couldn't just mount the bar to the frame, then drop the attachment points to the rear axle to a couple of tabs. Just thinking out loud here, but depending of how things fit, that might be a quick/cost-effective fix. I still want the spring retention part though.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Did you end up keeping the AEV springs?
No, I am using the Clayton front/rear springs. I think I'll order that rear spring retention kit and I was going to look at that troublesome rear sway bar mount, but moving that bar is a whole lot smarter. I did that on my overland Suburban. Just invented the parts and it worked great.

I have all that AEV stuff boxed up. I'll put that lift kit up for sale when I finish the Clayton install.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is good. I'll be ordering that kit. Too bad I didn't have it to install now while its all torn down!

Edit: $981!!!!!!! Whoa...I won't be ordering that kit. I see what hey are doing. Mounting the bar on the frame and running the links downward. I did that on a Hummer build of mine some years ago. Now this has me thinking. I wonder if I couldn't just mount the bar to the frame, then drop the attachment points to the rear axle to a couple of tabs. Just thinking out loud here, but depending of how things fit, that might be a quick/cost-effective fix. I still want the spring retention part though.
Let us know how it goes. I plan on the same kit with a TF addition or two. I'm a fan of the Clayton overland kit especially the springs since I have the oil burner, but am not a fan of the threaded rod sway-bar links that come with the kit. The TF rear upper control arm brackets change the geometry and aid in the rear pinion angles at those extreme angles.

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Since I mentioned them, here's the burb

DSC00999 (Large).JPG

IMG_0391 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0396 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0397 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0398 (Medium).JPG

IMG_7231 (Medium).jpeg

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Let us know how it goes. I plan on the same kit with a TF addition or two. I'm a fan of the Clayton overland kit especially the springs since I have the oil burner, but am not a fan of the threaded rod sway-bar links that come with the kit. The TF rear upper control arm brackets change the geometry and aid in the rear pinion angles at those extreme angles.
Roger that...

I'll drop a note here, the reader's digest version. You can read the whole writeup on the other site

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roger that...

I'll drop a note here, the reader's digest version. You can read the whole writeup on the other site
Looking at it now...waiting for my registration to get approved...:fingerscrossed:

OP
OP
Flyin6

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Well, I'm the site owner, so let me get right to it!

Edit: Done!
Sponsored