www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
auto targeting mini-gun

But seriously, how lame is it that victims of crimes are turned into the criminal by not being 'trusted' by insurance agencies and not receiving funding for what they, by law are required, to pay insurance costs for. super lame. I have asked 3 different insurance companies before insuring my Gladiator, and none of them will cover but more than a couple hundred in aftermarket accessories. That won't even touch a canopy at todays cost.

What's worse is police dont go after them and prosecutors usually drop the case or just don't try them. Super irritating. I don't dare say what I'd do if my rig was stolen.
Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Hey OP, just thought I'd add this, when the dust settles if you're not happy with the coverage you get reach out to me here. I've used a broker in Pet/Pembroke area who will insure lifted Jeeps up to 3 inches and running 37's, everything covered. They're not to bad for pricing either!! A long time EOTB member pointed me to them :)

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Consultant
So sorry to hear this.:( Theft in Canada has been rising like crazy, it seems.

Out of curiosity, did you back into your driveway, or pull in?
I don't recall. I had been installing a part onto the bed rack with the back end in the garage, so I think I had just pulled forward and parked like that--so in the "ready to drive away" position, goddammit.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Not sure who you're with but Geico has a 4k buffer baked into their (this was 2020) policies which covers aftermarket parts. I totaled a sorted Q60 RS and was covered for the 4k. Still lost my tail on that one but at least it helped. Beyond that buffer I was SOL but it was a pleasant surprise.
Geico isn't a think up here in the Great White North, and the last time I looked at them when I was living in the 'States (over the previous 20 years--up until last Feb), they were way more expensive than what I had been paying with State Farm. Gawd I miss State Farm, they were the *best*. I think we have State Farm up here--my current is Zenith (part of Northbridge), but I'll have to see how things go with this claim. Could be I'll be in the market for a new insurer for the next one.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Thats crap! Looks like that Tazer update will be getting done ASAP, new feature allows you to input a button code or the vehicle will not start.
I had seen that on their site, but hadn't done the firmware update on my Tazer. The shitty thing is the thieves probably look for such things immediately. Pull it out and re-connect the plugs and they're off. Of course, it takes serious patience to get those plugs back in. I had the extension cable in there so it would've taken less patience... in any case, it's gone.

Sponsored

RonMiami

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
Occupation
Contractor
Good Evening All,
Sad to hear this happen. I went thru the same ordeal in August. I bought the Gladiator in June and got stolen from the 5th floor of my parking garage with security in the entrance and all. The Gladiator was never found. Finally got the insurance check in the mail yesterday. I didnt get paid for the 22k upgrades i did in aftermarket parts. But luckily I been blessed and purchased another Gladiator in October caused car rental was not included in my insurance and it was costing me 1500 a month. I installed security cameras in the garage a kill switch and a club. And honestly i think the theft came from the place i purchased all the aftermarket parts. So I know the feeling and even if they find your rig it wont be the same cause you will be thinking they are coming for it again. Unfortunately we own cars that everyone wants and cant afford it. So honestly guys spend the extra bucks in a kill switch and hood lucks and clubs and all those things that makes us paranoids. Honestly with this new Gladiator I got im just afraid to spend the money in upgrades cause sooner or later they will come for it and it sucks!!! I see all the upgrades you guys have and they all are sexy rigs!! Jeep needs to do something about these security features they are lacking cause no matter what we are paying high prices for these jeeps and just to have them stolen... Hopefully you get your rig back cause I kow what you are going thru.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
this really help? - Disable the keyless entry/proximity feature
Good question. Probably not, now that I think about it. The key fob itself is emitting a signal every so often, or constantly (not sure which), and that's what the keyless entry/proximity sensor is 'listening' for. Disabling it likely doesn't tell the key fob to stop transmitting.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Jeep needs to do something about these security features they are lacking cause no matter what we are paying high prices for these jeeps and just to have them stolen... Hopefully you get your rig back cause I kow what you are going thru.
It is a never-ending arms race between security measures and cheap, easy technology to defeat those measures. The manufacturers can likely do more, but there's always that tradeoff between effective security and what the average or majority of users are willing to do--and in the business calculation by major manufacturers, the cost of implementing robust (and likely more complex, less convenient) security likely exceeds a desired profit margin for sales.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Hey OP, just thought I'd add this, when the dust settles if you're not happy with the coverage you get reach out to me here. I've used a broker in Pet/Pembroke area who will insure lifted Jeeps up to 3 inches and running 37's, everything covered. They're not to bad for pricing either!! A long time EOTB member pointed me to them :)
OUTSTANDING, thank you.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Think I asked this before. Can one of the auxiliary switches be used as a cutoff? Have to press it either before or in conjunction with start button?
I like this idea. Need to delve a little deeper. Maybe setting one as a fuel pump power kill switch or something similar. I may run it by an electronics wizard I happen to know.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm currently searching the web for the diesel wiring schematics. I'm trying to come up a way to kill the starter, but still retain remote start function.

My goal is to press Unlock first to temporary disable the kill switch, then remote start. Technically just one extra step/button to press.
Don’t the doors have to be locked to remote start?

hadn’t thought of the remote start being lost with a kill switch.. I like being able warm/cool the car first!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I like this idea. Need to delve a little deeper. Maybe setting one as a fuel pump power kill switch or something similar. I may run it by an electronics wizard I happen to know.
Fine, until you get this message -
aux switches temporarily unavailable
in your cluster.
Anything is doable - but those switches don't always work with certain battery charge conditions or other things going on.
So you get in, push the switch and find it won't work so you can't start your truck where otherwise you'd be able to.

You can use them for anything - but I'd not use them for something that might disable your ability to start the truck.
You are better off with a hidden switch that doesn't rely on the truck's systems being perfect.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Isn't the whole 'guardian' thing supposed to help with the stolen vehicle situation? I thought it was advertised as that anyway. And to be of some benefit to insurance coverage as well?

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
OP, do you have hood locks? I'd have to imagine they got under your hood in the process to accomplish the theft
Sponsored