Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Fine, until you get this message -
aux switches temporarily unavailable
in your cluster.
Anything is doable - but those switches don't always work with certain battery charge conditions or other things going on.
So you get in, push the switch and find it won't work so you can't start your truck where otherwise you'd be able to.

You can use them for anything - but I'd not use them for something that might disable your ability to start the truck.
You are better off with a hidden switch that doesn't rely on the truck's systems being perfect.
You're thinking in terms of using them in the factory configuration. I'm thinking of bypassing all the computer foolishness and simply using a hidden in plain sight low cost solution.

Looking past that detail, however, these forums seem to be fairly replete with posts about Jeeps being unable to start or go anywhere because of one factory electronic brain fart or another. So I'm not sure that using an AUX switch tied to the same systems would necessarily increase risk any.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Don’t the doors have to be locked to remote start?

hadn’t thought of the remote start being lost with a kill switch.. I like being able warm/cool the car first!
[/QUOTE
Don’t the doors have to be locked to remote start?

hadn’t thought of the remote start being lost with a kill switch.. I like being able warm/cool the car first!
I'm working with a similar device below. I'm still looking for some power door locks circuit wiring diagram. I might also kill something else instead of the starter, like shifter soleniod, brake switch etc

Jeep Gladiator 2022 JTRD stolen from driveway (don't let it happen to you) AD4874F2-F4AD-49C5-941A-42EDFFFB4DA9

It's a bit more difficult to retaining remote start function and avoid throwing CEL.

Viper501

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sting Gray Mojave; 2020 Mercedes GLE
Occupation
Ninja
Exactly correct. I did not have such an add-on. At least I had the “depreciation clause delete”.

I have every receipt and photos of everything installed—as I did them or just afterward. If that doesn’t help me this time, well… it will be done as you described, next time—frequent updates to my insurer.
One thing I suggest is to have someone, preferably a lawyer, review the actual policy and its language to determine what your coverage really covers. While many adjusters are good people, even good people make mistakes / assumptions regarding the coverage.

In some jurisdictions you also have statutory protections regarding coverages that have to be offered and affirmatively rejected by the policy holder. If the carrier cannot show the offer and rejection then they are read back into the policy (that normally applies to things like under insurance or uninsured motorist coverage).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
OP, do you have hood locks? I'd have to imagine they got under your hood in the process to accomplish the theft
Not necessary at all if the clone the fob or hijack a signal.
No need to open the hood.
If I recall there's actually a pic or maybe video of a JT being stolen - the hood is not touched.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
You're thinking in terms of using them in the factory configuration. I'm thinking of bypassing all the computer foolishness and simply using a hidden in plain sight low cost solution.

Looking past that detail, however, these forums seem to be fairly replete with posts about Jeeps being unable to start or go anywhere because of one factory electronic brain fart or another. So I'm not sure that using an AUX switch tied to the same systems would necessarily increase risk any.
Like a NO momentary button in plain sight that opens the can bus wire from the starter button. Requires holding it to start. I'm might try this out and see if the remote start function still works.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Like a NO momentary button in plain sight that opens the can bus wire from the starter button. Requires holding it to start. I'm might try this out and see if the remote start function still works.
Which reminds me that you have to have the brake pressed to start the vehicle, so maybe something that negates that unless manually overridden by a another action.

Rick_Jame55

First Name
Rickel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
QA Inspector
In the early hours of Jan 3, my much-loved 2022 JT Rubicon Diesel was stolen from my driveway here in Ottawa. It was locked and alarmed (factory) and all that, but the perps very likely had cloned my key fob. I had no idea that this was a thing that, now having read all about it, is extremely common. In fact, a neighbour two streets over had their new Wrangler Unlimited stolen on the very same night.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 JTRD stolen from driveway (don't let it happen to you) AD4874F2-F4AD-49C5-941A-42EDFFFB4DA9

This was my best build yet, and because I had done it completely on my own, without any pro help, it was very personal. It was my fifth rig and I was getting it ready for a big overland trip this summer. I was very proud of it--Jeepers know how it feels when you put so much of your 'self' into your build.

The insurance adjuster is coming to my place today to go over my documentation and discuss the reimbursement they will offer. It'll be the lesser of:
  • Actual purchase price
  • Manufacturer's list price w/equipment at time of purchase
  • Price of a new similarly equipped replacement vehicle
Sadly it'll end up being the second one--prices were already above list when I got it back in February of 2022. And now, costs are way up, and interest rates are way higher. But that's not the worst of it; it is highly unlikely the thousands I put into it in mods will be covered.

So, here comes the cautionary part of the tale. Do this now if you have a keyless entry/push button start system on your Jeep and you want to KEEP your vehicle.
  1. Disable the keyless entry/proximity feature (in the vehicle settings on the infotainment system)
  2. Keep your key fobs in a Faraday box at home, away from doors and windows, and a Faraday pouch while in the vehicle or on your person walking about
  3. Get a kill-switch - if you go with a DIY or inexpensive one, you must hide that switch well; if you want peace of mind, get a Ghost II system (expensive, but I'll be doing it for my next one)
  4. Get a Club or other physical deterrent, like a brake pedal-to-steering wheel bar
The detective assigned to my case told me about 100 vehicles are stolen every single day in Ottawa; in a call he had had with the Insurance Bureau of Canada (or whatever they're called), they said in 2021 alone there were CAD $700M in vehicle thefts. These thieves are organized, and it's big business. They can get those key fob scanners on Amazon. Jeeps and other vehicles go straight to the Port of Montreal and end up overseas.

Don't be complacent like I was. Whatever the cost and inconvenience it may represent, it pales in comparison the pain of losing something you put your heart and soul into.

Chris
Tater mini also has a code feature. Where when you get in you have to press the steering wheel buttons in a set sequence to start the truck.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Which reminds me that you have to have the brake pressed to start the vehicle, so maybe something that negates that unless manually overridden by a another action.
There's alot of ways to do it. I don't have heated steering wheel/seat package. Wondering if the panel will fits and modify and use one of tbose button.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Isn't the whole 'guardian' thing supposed to help with the stolen vehicle situation? I thought it was advertised as that anyway. And to be of some benefit to insurance coverage as well?
Not everyone has that. And a previous theft had no luck with guardian finding his vehicle. I didn't receive any savings on my auto insurance but having that service.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
In the early hours of Jan 3, my much-loved 2022 JT Rubicon Diesel was stolen from my driveway here in Ottawa. It was locked and alarmed (factory) and all that, but the perps very likely had cloned my key fob. I had no idea that this was a thing that, now having read all about it, is extremely common. In fact, a neighbour two streets over had their new Wrangler Unlimited stolen on the very same night.

This was my best build yet, and because I had done it completely on my own, without any pro help, it was very personal. It was my fifth rig and I was getting it ready for a big overland trip this summer. I was very proud of it--Jeepers know how it feels when you put so much of your 'self' into your build.

The insurance adjuster is coming to my place today to go over my documentation and discuss the reimbursement they will offer. It'll be the lesser of:
  • Actual purchase price
  • Manufacturer's list price w/equipment at time of purchase
  • Price of a new similarly equipped replacement vehicle
Sadly it'll end up being the second one--prices were already above list when I got it back in February of 2022. And now, costs are way up, and interest rates are way higher. But that's not the worst of it; it is highly unlikely the thousands I put into it in mods will be covered.

So, here comes the cautionary part of the tale. Do this now if you have a keyless entry/push button start system on your Jeep and you want to KEEP your vehicle.
  1. Disable the keyless entry/proximity feature (in the vehicle settings on the infotainment system)
  2. Keep your key fobs in a Faraday box at home, away from doors and windows, and a Faraday pouch while in the vehicle or on your person walking about
  3. Get a kill-switch - if you go with a DIY or inexpensive one, you must hide that switch well; if you want peace of mind, get a Ghost II system (expensive, but I'll be doing it for my next one)
  4. Get a Club or other physical deterrent, like a brake pedal-to-steering wheel bar
The detective assigned to my case told me about 100 vehicles are stolen every single day in Ottawa; in a call he had had with the Insurance Bureau of Canada (or whatever they're called), they said in 2021 alone there were CAD $700M in vehicle thefts. These thieves are organized, and it's big business. They can get those key fob scanners on Amazon. Jeeps and other vehicles go straight to the Port of Montreal and end up overseas.

Don't be complacent like I was. Whatever the cost and inconvenience it may represent, it pales in comparison the pain of losing something you put your heart and soul into.

Chris
Sorry to hear this Chris, we have had a good many threads on the "insecurity" of the FOB (an industry disgrace, not just Jeep) and the (JEEP specific) short falls in Security overall. You are not the first one to report a personal loss resulting as such in the last year. The FOB approach is indeed the fastest growing auto theft way of the Thugs.

Many of us already store the FOB in a Faraday Box at home, as well as a F-Pouch at times out and about.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
What a kick in the gut. Sorry to hear this OP. I hope your adjuster will be fair.

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
OP - sorry for your trouble (and the trouble you may yet face w/insurance company). Please follow-up and let us know how things turn out.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
The Tazer mini now has pin-to drive too. I use pin-to-drive and put my fob in a faraday box. It's a small price to prevent a BIG problem.

Also crazy to me Jeep leaves the hood completely unsecured from factory. Putting locking hood latches on was literally my first mod, right after that locking fuel and DEF caps.

I don't trust people as far as I can throw them, and it's only going to get worse from here as Western societies devolve.
Sponsored