Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking for an entertaining read on Ravelco, check out this site:

https://ravelco.fun/?en

I'm not saying I do or don't agree with any of the assertions there, but it's an interesting read.
Hmmm, my idea is better, sorry.
At least my think won't result in a short circuit.
If I have the cap, I'll figure it out. It's what I do.

If you go somewhere that makes you valet, insist you can park your own vehicle, or go somewhere else. If the place wants your business,
Good luck with that if the place of business is a hospital or clinic (heart clinic in my case) and all lots are full for 3 blocks.

It is hardwired and cannot be bypassed.
Anything can be bypassed. I'm running a PCM in my car from a Jeep when everyone said "you can't do that, it's got security and won't do this or that without the other parts". Wanna bet?

Since they tap into and "break" 2 systems, it's likely you could use software to see which systems are not responding and go right to them.

But then I love a challenge.

It looks to be no different than what I've already proposed doing but using other means.
Sponsored

JeepCode4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator HA
Hmmm, my idea is better, sorry.
At least my think won't result in a short circuit.
If I have the cap, I'll figure it out. It's what I do.

Good luck with that if the place of business is a hospital or clinic (heart clinic in my case) and all lots are full for 3 blocks.

Anything can be bypassed. I'm running a PCM in my car from a Jeep when everyone said "you can't do that, it's got security and won't do this or that without the other parts". Wanna bet?

Since they tap into and "break" 2 systems, it's likely you could use software to see which systems are not responding and go right to them.

But then I love a challenge.

It looks to be no different than what I've already proposed doing but using other means.
when I said bypassed, I meant you can’t simply remove or disarm it, which is what the context of the question was.

Sure it can be removed. Time, knowledge and skill of the specific device and what it’s tapped and where. It’s there to stop theft, not offer a challenge for us tinkerers. It’s low tech. That link is silly above.

People often have a lot of feelings on all theft solutions. I’m just offering what works, based on my own experience.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Ravelco seems to create more problems that it solves. Everything is dependent on how well it is installed and what systems it cuts into.

I do not think the installation ages well over time. Have seen videos of people getting vehicles with this installed second hand and not getting the original info of what was cut and spliced passed on and then having problems. They take it to a shop that either does not want to touch it or there is a large labor bill for the shop to unfuck it and get back to square one.

In all my years, I have only seen one in real life and it was on a older Porsche 911 garage queen Sunday driver. The owner told me that he would never have the Ravelco on a daily driver.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Well I just found this nugget

That is called the IGLA security system. Pretty neat. I called S and A security. Got some information on it and found a California dealer who installs it.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Consultant
If you're looking for an entertaining read on Ravelco, check out this site:

https://ravelco.fun/?en

I'm not saying I do or don't agree with any of the assertions there, but it's an interesting read.
Loved this site. This is the importance of math, peeps! It helps you be a critical thinker. FWIW, I did find the claim of millions of installations and zero losses to be a bit dubious when I first went to the site (after the first recommendation much earlier in this thread). How would they substantiate that? Bit o' humbug as they might say abroad.

By the way, all: I just called the Ravelco guy in Ontario (in St. Catherines, quite a drive from Ottawa) and for the diesel Gladiator, it'll be $899 plus tax. The Ghost II runs about $1399 if I recall correctly (from JustJeeps.com), but I don't know how good that'd be either.

It seems there's no 'best' option.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Loved this site. This is the importance of math, peeps! It helps you be a critical thinker. FWIW, I did find the claim of millions of installations and zero losses to be a bit dubious when I first went to the site (after the first recommendation much earlier in this thread). How would they substantiate that? Bit o' humbug as they might say abroad.

By the way, all: I just called the Ravelco guy in Ontario (in St. Catherines, quite a drive from Ottawa) and for the diesel Gladiator, it'll be $899 plus tax. The Ghost II runs about $1399 if I recall correctly (from JustJeeps.com), but I don't know how good that'd be either.

It seems there's no 'best' option.
The word "millions" got me - you mean the guy made and sold that many, and that many have been installed by a handful of dealers? Why the heck is he still working and not living it up in the Bahamas? Millions times the profit - man, I'd be elsewhere.
Let's say 10,000 installed, none stolen. He'd have to prove that those installations had attempts at theft but the thief gave up. Tough to prove.

My suggestion is for folks to move into a neighborhood where a woman named Joyce lives.
Example - a few years back, my brother, who many claim looks a lot like me, poor fellow, came to our house while we were gone to drop off some car related stuff. He parked in the driveway and was getting out of his car when she came over and drilled him on who he was, why he was there, what he was doing there, and she was ready to call the law then and there. Her husband owns guns........ and knows how to use them.
My brother later told me it was one of the most scary confrontations he'd had.
Worse yet, after she decides you are ok, she'll fill you in on ALL of the latest neighborhood gossip, who just got divorced, and more.
That's part of our theft prevention program.
Too bad it didn't work when all of our new Christmas decorations were stolen from our front yard a few years back - big stuff, gone. It was only 30 feet from our big bay window.

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
That's part of our theft prevention program.
Community is *everything*. We’re all in this together. I was buoyed when my neighbour, a native of China, told me my original FB post about my Jeep being stolen was shared by others in our community on Weibo! (Huge Chinese population in my ‘hood.). I was touched. The better we get to know our neighbours, the better everything goes.
Too bad it didn't work when all of our new Christmas decorations were stolen from our front yard a few years back - big stuff, gone. It was only 30 feet from our big bay window.
Rough!

The Welsh Griffin

First Name
TBone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Work in an Oven
I did some research and cost wise I think I will install 2 hidden switches. 1 for the ignition and the other one on the fuel pump power supply. Should be about $8.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I did some research and cost wise I think I will install 2 hidden switches. 1 for the ignition and the other one on the fuel pump power supply. Should be about $8.
And you can get into the bottom of the PDC and wire it all in like factory.
It would be so simple to disable these.
There are so many things you could disable, and do it easily by killing power to relays, etc.
Basically, I could duplicate a setup costing hundreds and do it all for tens of dollars.

JeepCode4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator HA
All depends on the installer
Ravelco seems to create more problems that it solves. Everything is dependent on how well it is installed and what systems it cuts into.

I do not think the installation ages well over time. Have seen videos of people getting vehicles with this installed second hand and not getting the original info of what was cut and spliced passed on and then having problems. They take it to a shop that either does not want to touch it or there is a large labor bill for the shop to unfuck it and get back to square one.

In all my years, I have only seen one in real life and it was on a older Porsche 911 garage queen Sunday driver. The owner told me that he would never have the Ravelco on a daily driver.
all depends on the installer. I know quite a lot of folks with them, some have had them for upwards 20 years in their antique cars and Daily drivers. It’s less of a big deal than everyone’s talking about. It’s a simple device. Quality of install matters for any device like this, IGLA or anything else.

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
This thread and all the discussion of kill switches reminds me of this movie scene :

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
This thread and all the discussion of kill switches reminds me of this movie scene :
And now I have to watch the movie again. All work productivity out the window!

OP
OP
chrisandrews

chrisandrews

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Build Six begins!

Jeep Gladiator 2022 JTRD stolen from driveway (don't let it happen to you) D1A7FEA4-D268-4D02-8B7D-998BE1CD5A37

I’m still waiting on the settlement from the insurance. Fingers crossed that my mods will be included! Had to get a new ride though, and JTRDs are hard to come by. This is a new 2022.

I have the new SUV Club, and I made room in my garage to park inside. It *just* fits. Re: the Club—I know they’re easily defeated, but if it gives me ten extra seconds to scream and yell and scare off would-be thieves, it’ll be worth it.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Build Six begins!

Jeep Gladiator 2022 JTRD stolen from driveway (don't let it happen to you) D1A7FEA4-D268-4D02-8B7D-998BE1CD5A37

I’m still waiting on the settlement from the insurance. Fingers crossed that my mods will be included! Had to get a new ride though, and JTRDs are hard to come by. This is a new 2022.

I have the new SUV Club, and I made room in my garage to park inside. It *just* fits. Re: the Club—I know they’re easily defeated, but if it gives me ten extra seconds to scream and yell and scare off would-be thieves, it’ll be worth it.
Wow, that was quick. Great idea on putting her in the garage. I'd still be considering pulling a fuse or relay given how bad your area seems to be.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver