Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Yep. Some wrangler people shake their heads if we need to do a y turn sometimes, they we do climbs without a tire chirp while the two doors throttle up and try not to tip over backwards. :) They aren’t perfect, but the JT is a real Jeep all day long.
You're absolutely correct. If we're being honest, no wheelbase is perfect for every spot... but there IS a perfect wheelbase for every spot. I had high expectations for my JT but I'd be lying if I wasn't shocked on multiple occasions when I was out there. I'm actually in the process of building up my wife's JLUR and it will be VERY similar to mine so I am super curious to see them wheel side by side just to see the difference.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You're absolutely correct. If we're being honest, no wheelbase is perfect for every spot... but there IS a perfect wheelbase for every spot. I had high expectations for my JT but I'd be lying if I wasn't shocked on multiple occasions when I was out there. I'm actually in the process of building up my wife's JLUR and it will be VERY similar to mine so I am super curious to see them wheel side by side just to see the difference.
Very accurate. The long wheelbase is tough in rock gardens for high centering, but is really good on climbs and shelves. As you said earlier, most trails are doable in a stock rubicon, just know where the skids are. Metal sounds don’t bother me much. The skids are there to be used.

OP
OP
Levi.Butler

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Dang you hit it hard! Good shot of the rig btw. What suspension setup are you running?

My neighbor said the same thing about waterfall. I hope to do those trails next year. My rock slide step sliders were already bent up after first day out. Got the armor plating on order hope it comes before next EJS 😂

6651BF52-95F7-4571-AE4C-18BA4A87D0E0.jpeg
Yeah man, we got after it when we were out there. It was such a good time!

My suspension is a hodge podge. 2 inch Mopar springs, Rock Krawler adventure series control arms with a 4 link in the rear, Artec steering and the most gangster RadFlo shocks a guy could buy (adjustable, custom valved, custom length, rigid external reservoirs with cooling fins).

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Thank you, sir!

I think you would be absolutely shocked with how many places you could get around in Moab with a Rubicon on 35s. There are only a few places I would suggest you stay away from and that's mostly because they don't have bypasses, once you're in you're in. Pritchett Canyon, Behind The Rocks, BFE... you'd want to stay away from them. Otherwise, you'd be amazed... the vast majority of big obstacles have bypasses or multiple lines to pick from.

If you make it out there, the trifecta and top of the world are mandatory. They are iconic spots with amazing views.
I've been watching a few vids of people running the trails. The Red Rocks guys have put together a nice trail rating system that seems to be pretty accurate.

I watched FarFromOrdinary - Sarge Green Mojave w/ 37s take on the trails. A JLU/JKU had a nasty almost accident that struck a spotter - it's on video. I think it's Behind the Rocks Tip Toe. Brown Short Brigade for all involved.

The wife watched these and said "I don't think I want to go do these without a lift and bigger tires."

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.gif

Even though there were a few stock JT/JK/JL running the trails. I don't plan on jumping into the 5+ trails right away.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've been watching a few vids of people running the trails. The Red Rocks guys have put together a nice trail rating system that seems to be pretty accurate.

I watched FarFromOrdinary - Sarge Green Mojave w/ 37s take on the trails. A JLU/JKU had a nasty almost accident that struck a spotter - it's on video. I think it's Behind the Rocks Tip Toe. Brown Short Brigade for all involved.

The wife watched these and said "I don't think I want to go do these without a lift and bigger tires."

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.gif

Even though there were a few stock JT/JK/JL running the trails. I don't plan on jumping into the 5+ trails right away.
Mind sharing where to find the video, only if no one was seriously hurt? Don’t know any to be disrespectful.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Levi.Butler

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
It took a bunch of hits in that one spot. A lot of sliding on them too. The first big hit was on Wipe Out Hill there is a big drop and all the sliders were taking abuse. The metal is kinda thin stock so with out having the armor kit its common to see damage like this. Knew it coming in so I took it “easy” 🤣
Dude, Wipe Out Hill was no joke! We got to spend that day with Artec for their media day. The crazy part of that area is that everything was SOOOO tame and then BAM! Wipe Out Hill comes out of nowhere! Did you do the optional line to the left on the very first climb coming into the trail? That was pretty decent too!

Also, I couldn't possibly recommend the Artec (or anyone else for that matter) full belly skids. They take the vast majority of the hits and keep my Rockslides fairly safe, at least in Utah, the rock gardens we wheel in at Wolf Caves here in Texas are a completely different story but the belly skid is 100% necessary at Wolf Caves for different reasons.

OP
OP
Levi.Butler

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Mind sharing where to find the video, only if no one was seriously hurt? Don’t know any to be disrespectful.
I think he was generally okay... definitely got some bumps and bruises. I just hope he learned his lesson. What that guy did was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen and that says a lot coming out of the mouth of a guy who's done the shit I've done! HAHA!

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.

they start the vid off with it; then jump to 1:30. No serious injuries. Probably sore AF ankles.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

they start the vid off with it; then jump to 1:30. No serious injuries. Probably sore AF ankles.
Pretty nasty. Yep. He should not have approached that Jeep. Oh well. We’ve all done things in the moment that we wouldn’t have with more time to think.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Not interested in the rock climbing just would like to go to check it out and see the sights. Maybe if they had a few trails or something for a non modified JT would be ok.
There are a bunch like that. I went with my family in March

Sponsored

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Yeah man, we got after it when we were out there. It was such a good time!

My suspension is a hodge podge. 2 inch Mopar springs, Rock Krawler adventure series control arms with a 4 link in the rear, Artec steering and the most gangster RadFlo shocks a guy could buy (adjustable, custom valved, custom length, rigid external reservoirs with cooling fins).
Thanks for bearing with me on all the questions. That steering looks beefy going to add it to my list of options. What changed going 4 link is it mostly road manors?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There are a bunch like that. I went with my family in March
No question. We did poison spider last fall in our at that time, bone stock rubicon, with two kids in car seats. They had a blast.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Dude, Wipe Out Hill was no joke! We got to spend that day with Artec for their media day. The crazy part of that area is that everything was SOOOO tame and then BAM! Wipe Out Hill comes out of nowhere! Did you do the optional line to the left on the very first climb coming into the trail? That was pretty decent too!

Also, I couldn't possibly recommend the Artec (or anyone else for that matter) full belly skids. They take the vast majority of the hits and keep my Rockslides fairly safe, at least in Utah, the rock gardens we wheel in at Wolf Caves here in Texas are a completely different story but the belly skid is 100% necessary at Wolf Caves for different reasons.
Ha I am glad you found it somewhat of a challenge. It was one of the harder ones I tackled. Not sure if its the one I you are thinking of but right before wipe out hill there is an obstacle that was pretty hard for a lot of our group. Belly skids are on my radar too probably off a ways. I would like to do Rubicon someday and having those and my armored up sliders will come first.

OP
OP
Levi.Butler

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Thanks for bearing with me on all the questions. That steering looks beefy going to add it to my list of options. What changed going 4 link is it mostly road manors?
Road manners is a huge part of it but ditching the track bar in the rear adds a TON of room for a spare tire under the bed and the joints in the Rock Krawler stuff removes basically all of the binding from the control arms... plus they are BEEFY, those stock control arms will only be straight for so long if you are wheeling your rig.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
We ran 'The Trifecta' on Wednesday. So, Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Rim. That was definitely my favorite day of the trip. There was a handful of real deal obstacles and the views were incredible. IMO the view of Moab from on top of Gold Rim is better than the view from Top Of The World and the wheeling is WAY better than Top Of The World.

Jeep Gladiator 2022 Moab Easter Jeep Safari ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor

There was a rollover on the waterfall on Golden Spike right before we went up it... the Gladiator just walked right up it with no problem though.

As far as the Gladiator showing people up on certain obstacles, he's absolutely correct. I was with a group of JTs that are all on 42"+ tires, one tons, 16" travel coilovers and full custom 4-links front and rear and I wheeled right alongside them all week. The wheelbase of the Gladiator REALLY made certain obstacles easy and I only remember one spot where I said, this isn't going to happen and had to back down and take a different line.
35 or 37 tires and a lift? Sorry if you already answered that.
Sponsored