Sponsored

'22 JTR Ecodiesel - need recommendations for calibration programmer for larger tires

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Which of these options is going to be quickest and easiest if returning to stock programming is required?

‘22 JTR 3.6 here. Mainly looking at this for tire size changing.
Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Which of these options is going to be quickest and easiest if returning to stock programming is required?

‘22 JTR 3.6 here. Mainly looking at this for tire size changing.
I think the Tazer would be the easiest? Unmarry, unplug, and you are good.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Tazer would be the easiest? Unmarry, unplug, and you are good.
Does it also track and unchange all changes like tire size which gets written to the BCM?

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Does it also track and unchange all changes like tire size which gets written to the BCM?
That’s one question that I’d have, as well.

Another would be…what’s worse: 1. Going to the dealer with a programmer that reflects the correct tire size, or 2. Rolling in with a “clean” system, no programmer installed, and the incorrect tire size reflected in the computer?

In case #2, are they going to document that the odometer doesn’t match the actual mileage due to aftermarket modifications? Dealers sell lifted vehicles with larger tires all the time, but I’m not sure how they address that.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link

Another would be…what’s worse: 1. Going to the dealer with a programmer that reflects the correct tire size, or 2. Rolling in with a “clean” system, no programmer installed, and the incorrect tire size reflected in the computer?
That'll depend on the dealer.

Mine is pretty good, when I came in with an ABS light on they asked if the tires were calibrated, that's it. I said yes, they said cool.

I can see them (bad dealers) using this to their advantage either way.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

In case #2, are they going to document that the odometer doesn’t match the actual mileage due to aftermarket modifications? Dealers sell lifted vehicles with larger tires all the time, but I’m not sure how they address that.
Most I know want the truck to reflect the actual tire size in the system to show you care about accurate odometer readings. IF you knowingly run with incorrect tire size settings, they could try to dispute your mileage.
I set my tire size with jscan and they didn't give a rip. In fact, how would they know???? They don't compare the settings line by line.
There is no trace left anywhere if you use software to change the tire size. They have no clue.
One dealer here will even sell you the stuff to change tire size if you tell them you changed tires and want the size to be correct.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Most I know want the truck to reflect the actual tire size in the system to show you care about accurate odometer readings. IF you knowingly run with incorrect tire size settings, they could try to dispute your mileage.
I set my tire size with jscan and they didn't give a rip. In fact, how would they know???? They don't compare the settings line by line.
There is no trace left anywhere if you use software to change the tire size. They have no clue.
One dealer here will even sell you the stuff to change tire size if you tell them you changed tires and want the size to be correct.
Agreed. For me, it’s a matter of whether or not I do a programmer AND larger tires or don’t go to larger tires at all.

My issue is finding a programmer that requires the absolute minimum level of effort to setup and remove, if necessary.

Yes, it would be nice to have additional functionality (I.e. Data log and try to catch one of my misfires), but at the end of the day…I don’t have much interest in tinkering with that.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Agreed. For me, it’s a matter of whether or not I do a programmer AND larger tires or don’t go to larger tires at all.

My issue is finding a programmer that requires the absolute minimum level of effort to setup and remove, if necessary.

Yes, it would be nice to have additional functionality (I.e. Data log and try to catch one of my misfires), but at the end of the day…I don’t have much interest in tinkering with that.
Some kits are more 'ready out of the box' but I think JSCAN is the best bang for buck, $100 roughly depending on the how your source your kit together.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Some kits are more 'ready out of the box' but I think JSCAN is the best bang for buck, $100 roughly depending on the how your source your kit together.
I checked that one out. I’d prefer the ‘push button, get food pellet’ approach.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Well both the Tazer and the AEV procal require you to hardwire into the bus behind the glove box. The JSCAN is easy to setup and break down or leave in place. I’d actually argue the install is easier too.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No matter what, you have to pull the cables from the security gateway and connect to SOMETHING. That's a given for anything.
For JSCAN, you open the app, type in the search "tire" and it will pop up the options involving tires, and you plug in the number.
And their FB page has tons of users, novice and expert, and if you contact them via FB, you get fast responses.
They have videos for certain things as well.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Thank you both.🍻 I’ll give that one some more thought. I haven’t tinkered with that before, so it may take me some time to make a decision on that.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
Decided to go with the AEV Procal Snap. Pretty easy to install once I figured out how to deal with the OBD II port (it was not clear from most of the videos and pictures what needed to happen to release wire lock (whatever it’s called) on both sides of the OBD II plug. 🍻

OP
OP

RKcreative

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR Hard Rock
Jeep Gladiator '22 JTR Ecodiesel - need recommendations for calibration programmer for larger tires F938F360-116A-4486-AE70-C941AE67E8B7

Jeep Gladiator '22 JTR Ecodiesel - need recommendations for calibration programmer for larger tires 9CDCC2BA-7A1B-4267-AC2B-F52B9A9F9C50

Thanks for the input. Decided to go with a tazer. Here is the rig as it sits now ready for the weekend outing. Stock to this in 2 weeks. 38s and the diesel barely noticed it. :)
Sponsored