<3.75" Backspacing for Rubicon?

MidbestKid

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
I ordered a new suspension kit for my rubicon, so i'm trying to figure out the best wheels to go with.

The manufacturer suggests less than 3.75" on the backspacing, but I know the dana 44s come with about an extra 1"-1.5" in length (can't remember exact length).
Could I get away with say, 17x8.5, -24 offset, and 3.81" of backspacing? With a 37x12.5 tire, how much will they be sticking out past the flares?

I'm not sure if the manufacturer recommends that based on a non-dana 44 or what, so I was hoping to go with said wheels.

Thanks!
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I would help... but I cant bring myself to be helpful with that damned chiefs logo for an avatar...

Ok for real though as said above what lift kit you installing? The specs the manufacturers list are very CYA I think. And what your talking about with a 0.06" out of spec I am sure your fine.

o2bnkc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2002 Corvette convertible, 2008 Peterbilt 388, 2008 HD Heritage
Occupation
owner/operator/guitar picker
Go Chiefs! I was born and raised in K.C.K.

OP
OP
MidbestKid

MidbestKid

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
It's the EVO 3-5" adjustable kit.

Edit: After digging around their website, it looks like a drag link flip kit is recommended, and with that they say proper backspacing is required with a heavy duty drag link and other upgraded components. I think that may be the reasoning, so I might be forced to go less than 3.75" after all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's the EVO 3-5" adjustable kit.

Edit: After digging around their website, it looks like a drag link flip kit is recommended, and with that they say proper backspacing is required with a heavy duty drag link and other upgraded components. I think that may be the reasoning, so I might be forced to go less than 3.75" after all.
Man your talking about training wheels sticking way far out there.. Stock compared to the 37x12.50r17 at just the -25 offset is going to widen your truck by over 6" as it is. I would look for what other people have ran on that kit or pick a different kit if it was me as I dont appreciate the training wheel look. Then again your a chiefs fan so that may be a little more natural for you.

Jeep Gladiator <3.75" Backspacing for Rubicon? 1601035250969

#RN4L

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey what kit is that... The number seemed weird so I pulled up the EVO website & couldnt find that you have listed. What I did find was this

"All models will require wheels spacers or aftermarket wheels with 5” or smaller number backspacing. "

http://www.evomfg.com/technical-doc...5.pdf?_route_=technical-docs/EVO-3062S4PK.pdf

On an 8.5" wheel that would be an offset of +6 which means that the vast majority of aftermarket wheels out there would be fine as most are 0. I seem to remember someone here also running the Evo system on the same AEV Borah wheels I have which are +25 even (My clayton lift kit called for no more then 4.75" backspacing if I remember right & I am at like 5.73" with an ever so slight amount of backspacing).

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow.... So Only 37's & the craziest most expensive lift possible.. I would call Evo to see what the hangup is going to be.

OP
OP
MidbestKid

MidbestKid

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow.... So Only 37's & the craziest most expensive lift possible.. I would call Evo to see what the hangup is going to be.
“only 37s” lol

Yeah I might have to. Thanks for the help! And go Chiefs!

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
“only 37s” lol

Yeah I might have to. Thanks for the help! And go Chiefs!
Seriously Only 37's is accurate... I have 37's with plenty of clearance from a 2.5" lift (Clayton so they measure very tall like EVO does). Before dropping 8k on a lift to get the tires that most everyone else does with 2" on even the most basic of lift's. There are a lot of other parts that I would upgrade first.

I dont know your use case here, but it doesnt fit what most people look for... Big ol Fancy lift like that when people are asking about stuff they are normally going to put crazy big wheels & its going to look pimp at the mall.. But your looking for 17's still so that kinda says your going to wheel it. For 8k you could do a good evo or clayton lift plenty big & then do some other major upgrade that would net you more of a performance increase like PSC hydro steering or replacing all the axle shafts with chromeoly & upgrade the steering components.

OP
OP
MidbestKid

MidbestKid

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Seriously Only 37's is accurate... I have 37's with plenty of clearance from a 2.5" lift (Clayton so they measure very tall like EVO does). Before dropping 8k on a lift to get the tires that most everyone else does with 2" on even the most basic of lift's. There are a lot of other parts that I would upgrade first.

I dont know your use case here, but it doesnt fit what most people look for... Big ol Fancy lift like that when people are asking about stuff they are normally going to put crazy big wheels & its going to look pimp at the mall.. But your looking for 17's still so that kinda says your going to wheel it. For 8k you could do a good evo or clayton lift plenty big & then do some other major upgrade that would net you more of a performance increase like PSC hydro steering or replacing all the axle shafts with chromeoly & upgrade the steering components.
I hear you. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy, and I figure this setup will open the door to a variety of possible (and necessary) mods. I'm pretty much going to be building around the suspension/tires as is usually the case, but i'm not entirely sure which direction i'll be taking this thing, but i'll be pretty squared away no matter what I come up with.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you. I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy, and I figure this setup will open the door to a variety of possible (and necessary) mods. I'm pretty much going to be building around the suspension/tires as is usually the case, but i'm not entirely sure which direction i'll be taking this thing, but i'll be pretty squared away no matter what I come up with.
If budget is no issue then have at it.. 8k on just the lift though seems insane to me. That's the law of diminishing returns though. I will take 90% of the same performance for 30% of the price any day. That last 10% in just about anything is where things get really expensive.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I you’re dropping $8k on coilovers plus I’m sure $2k plus for that install, I’d definitely get Dana 60s now. They’ll be wider thus reducing the need for offset on wheels and you’ll be able to do the stuff a full coil over set allows you to do like run at high speeds, climb crazy waterfalls with the wheels cranked, jump etc.

if you chop up the axles to make the coil over setup work right you’ll never be able to see it and if you drive it hard enough to justify that suspension then you’ll be swapping sooner enough anyone

just my two cents
Sponsored