31 mpg real world test

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I am not saying it can’t be done or that you couldn’t do it, I am saying it hasn’t been done & it would not be a bolt-in solution much less programming ‘opportunities’ all of which cost a lot of money to R&D.
How about we make a friendly wager? You convert a JT to the 2.8lL Any way you want, as long as it’s fully-functional= no lights on the dash, all radio/nav/cruise works just like stock. If you can do it for under $10K, I will pay you the difference. If you go over $10K, you pay me however much you go over. You can even include your personal labor for free.
Sponsored

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT White Rubicon ,2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins,2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, Mahindra Roxor,2018 .
I am not saying it can’t be done or that you couldn’t do it, I am saying it hasn’t been done & it would not be a bolt-in solution much less programming ‘opportunities’ all of which cost a lot of money to R&D.
How about we make a friendly wager? You convert a JT to the 2.8lL Any way you want, as long as it’s fully-functional= no lights on the dash, all radio/nav/cruise works just like stock. If you can do it for under $10K, I will pay you the difference. If you go over $10K, you pay me however much you go over. You can even include your personal labor for free.
You are making this difficult they have a stand alone computers. My son has rock crawlers they build. They do LS swaps it’s all obd2 based. I can take the 2.5 diesel and transmission out of my Roxor and drop it in. Has ecu the size of a pack of smokes. Cummins and the after market have interfaces. Go on the internet it’s plug and play.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I talked to him this year they are working on the jl .
Already knew this before I posted - like I said, it will not be simple, or cheap.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The longer range of driving is one way the diesel is helpful for me.
This is the main reason I'm holding out to see what the real numbers are on the diesel JT are. I am not concerned with ROI, I just wanted more range and better towing in the 3k-4k pound range here in the mountains.

But I'm beginning to think the range is not really going to be there. If it gets a combined mileage of 24mpg (I also came to that same number on my own) and has an 18 gallon tank, that is only 432 miles per tank. Compare that to 352 miles per tank (16mpg and 22 gallon tank). That is only 80 miles per tank more... or just a single 5 gallon jerry can.

I'm thinking that towing, in my situations, is going to have to be hugely in favor of the diesel for it to make sense now.

Sponsored

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT White Rubicon ,2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins,2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, Mahindra Roxor,2018 .
I know everything else I have is diesel. Might just leave it alone. Planning down the road . They might get ecodiesel figured out . Definitely would not buy it for a couple of years. Already had a tast of VM motors.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
But I'm beginning to think the range is not really going to be there. If it gets a combined mileage of 24mpg (I also came to that same number on my own) and has an 18 gallon tank, that is only 432 miles per tank. Compare that to 352 miles per tank (16mpg and 22 gallon tank). That is only 80 miles per tank more... or just a single 5 gallon jerry can.

I'm thinking that towing, in my situations, is going to have to be hugely in favor of the diesel for it to make sense now.
Keep in mind, you could install a compact 10, 15, or 20 gallon in-bed fuel tank for added range. I'm sure that Titan or someone will come out with one for the Gladiator diesel.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind, you could install a compact 10, 15, or 20 gallon in-bed fuel tank for added range. I'm sure that Titan or someone will come out with one for the Gladiator diesel.
You could do that with the 3.6L as well, but it does scale in favor of the diesel. I'm actually hoping that FCA will put a 22 gallon tank in the diesel. You would think they could find the space for the DEF tank on the larger frame without having to reduce the fuel tank size.

And Titan shows nothing for the Tacoma, so I will not hold my breath for a JT solution from them. Maybe GenRight will make an extended tank.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
You could do that with the 3.6L as well, but it does scale in favor of the diesel.
Due to government regulations, you probably won't find a gasoline rated in-bed tank specifically designed for the Gladiator with a true auxiliary system.

I'm actually hoping that FCA will put a 22 gallon tank in the diesel. You would think they could find the space for the DEF tank on the larger frame without having to reduce the fuel tank size.
The bigger the better. We should be finding out any day now.

And Titan shows nothing for the Tacoma, so I will not hold my breath for a JT solution from them. Maybe GenRight will make an extended tank.
I'm confident that someone will make one specifically for the Gladiator. In a worst-case scenario, a universal tank could be used. Titan already makes an in-bed 15 gallon sidekick transfer tank.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Due to government regulations, you probably won't find a gasoline rated in-bed tank specifically designed for the Gladiator with a true auxiliary system.
You are probably right. I've never looked into bed tanks before because it is not a route I'd go even if they were available. Especially on a 5' bed like the JT has.

The bigger the better. We should be finding out any day now.
We can only hope, right!

I'm confident that someone will make one specifically for the Gladiator. In a worst-case scenario, a universal tank could be used. Titan already makes an in-bed 15 gallon sidekick transfer tank.
I'm still hoping that GenRight or ROAM (definitely not holding my breath for them) will make their extended tank replacements.

Edit: It looks like Long Range America already has an extended tank for the JL. Hopefully they add the JT to their list as well.

Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I had considered waiting for the diesel but in the end decided that with all the talk of it being an all new generation and that they had to change a lot to fit it in the Wrangler/Gladiator, there may be a few teething issues to start out so I went ahead and got my pentastar JTR now and figure by the time I’m ready to trade in a few years, there will be plenty of data on real world MPG’s and most of the bugs will be worked out of the system.
Everyone keeps talking about “return on investment” in $ amounts. For me, the ROI would be better fuel mileage as translated into less frequent stops/more range, better torque for towing the camper, and the options you have with a diesel tuner. As someone else pointed out, big brother takes exception to large gas tanks in the bed of a truck but there are lots of fuel transfer tanks that mount across the front of the bed like a tool box for carrying diesel fuel. That would be more convenient for bringing diesel back home for the tractor and I don’t believe it would be too difficult to run a fuel line from it to the filler tube on the truck with an electric pump attached so you could add fuel to the main tank as you’re driving down the road and double your non-stop range. (At least that’s one thing I had planned to figure out if I had the diesel). I know the local farm supply I go to has 8-10 different in bed diesel tanks (some are a combination fuel and tool box) and they have manual crank pumps or electric pumps for them. It would just be a matter of devising a way to pump straight into the trucks stock fuel tank.
Then again, being as its taking them (how long?) to get the trailer brake controller to market, it may be a while before they actually start putting diesels in the JT. (Yes I know they are offering on the JL side now but have yet to see one at any dealerships and they were announcing the option long before now)

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...it may be a while before they actually start putting diesels in the JT. (Yes I know they are offering on the JL side now but have yet to see one at any dealerships.)
I drove a diesel JL, the Ecodiesel JT will be worth the wait (to me). Hoping they will open orders for them soon, would like to get mine by Sept/Oct.

There are several companies working on aux tanks for the JT, will have to see if those products can be made to work w/ the diesel version.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
You are probably right. I've never looked into bed tanks before because it is not a route I'd go even if they were available. Especially on a 5' bed like the JT has.
I'm sure that manufacturers will try to make a slim tank much like the Titan 15 gallon in-bed tank. The Titan fits over the wheel fender so it doesn't take up usable floor space. I just want one that will electronically transfer fuel into the OE tank.

61lgis5OygL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Edit: It looks like Long Range America already has an extended tank for the JL. Hopefully they add the JT to their list as well.
That's good news!

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Everyone keeps talking about “return on investment” in $ amounts. For me, the ROI would be better fuel mileage as translated into less frequent stops/more range, better torque for towing the camper, and the options you have with a diesel tuner.
The diesel option is a much better engine choice for me. The Pentastar is a good engine, but you get a stronger transmission with the Ecodiesel. The diesel tows better and holds gears better in hilly or mountainous terrain. And yes, tuning options are much better for the diesel.

My 2015 is bone stock, but if I were planning to keep it, I would get it tuned. You can get a tuner that leaves the emissions components intact but disables the EGR. Honestly, the EGR is the only real problem with modern diesels. I have 82,000 miles on my Ram Ecodiesel and have done an enormous amount of heavy towing.

Then again, being as its taking them (how long?) to get the trailer brake controller to market, it may be a while before they actually start putting diesels in the JT. (Yes I know they are offering on the JL side now but have yet to see one at any dealerships and they were announcing the option long before now)
I could be wrong, but I thought TFL said the Gladiator Ecodiesel would be released about 4 months after the Wrangler Ecodiesel. I read/heard that VM Motori's plant was at full capacity and they would not be able to release the Ram, Wrangler, and Gladiator all at once due to engine availability, which is why they are slow-walking them out.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Everyone keeps talking about “return on investment” in $ amounts. For me, the ROI would be better fuel mileage as translated into less frequent stops/more range, better torque for towing the camper, and the options you have with a diesel tuner.
I'm 100% in agreement with what you said. I don't buy a diesel for the Return On Investment; however, I would like to point out that the gen II Ecodiesel (deleted) has proven to be a high mileage engine. The Pentastar might be a 200,000 - 250,000 mile engine before it is due for a full replacement whereas the Ecodiesel might be a 300,000 - 350,000 mile engine before it is due for a full replacement. It's possible, and quite likely, that the Return On Investment could be engine longevity. That's assuming that someone is willing/wanting to keep the truck that long.
Sponsored