Sponsored

4wd drive on 6 speed manual

• Thread starter Deleted member 30519
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 30519

So I started up the Jeep to get out of some deep snow and put it in 4wd for the first time after stepping on the clutch. The 4wd drive light came on in the dash so I put it in first and started to give it gas and the jeep hesitated and smelled something like a burning clutch and then I realized the 4wd light was off. I knew it was engaged when it locked in on the transfer case so idk wth is going on? Should I be worried about the smell or damaging my 4wd? Everything seemed to work ok after that.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The transfer case is tight when you first start using it. Make sure the shifter is locked in 4wdH or 4wdL. After you shift it in and you start moving, check the lever again to make sure it is correctly seated into 4wd. After you use it a while, this will get easier and faster. The smell is your clutch. No big deal, it will smell if you slip it too much. Where I go 4wheeling, there are lots of hills and ruts, so, I am in 4WDL almost exclusively with my manual transmission. In 4WDL, you can just let the clutch out in the lower gears and you rarely clutch unless you have to completely stop. I have the 4:1 transfer case in my Rubicon JT manual, and if you have the Sport, Overland, or Mojave, you have the higher gear transfer case - 2.?? to 1; so, in that case, with the manual transmission, 4WDL is even more so your go to gearing to avoid having to slip your clutch too much.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. No big deal. Clutch surface is a wear surface and while you don’t want to get in the habit of smoking it. Stuff happens.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

Thanks guys. I've owned several manual cars over the years and several auto 4wd trucks so I'm a little new at the combo.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Thanks guys. I've owned several manual cars over the years and several auto 4wd trucks so I'm a little new at the combo.
I've been driving an AWD Land Rover 2sp transfer case but permanent AWD with a lockable center differential. The JT system is new for me although i suspect it is pretty typical of 4WD trucks. Anyway I had to read the manual a couple of times. See in particular the section titled shifting procedures. It says you can shift from 2H to 4H while moving, and they recommend shifting from 4H to 4L while moving 1-3mph - the Note below this section explains that you can do this at rest too but the gear teeth may not be perfectly aligned on your first attempt. I suspect that in your OP when you described shifting into 4wd (4H?) but then getting kicked out of 4wd was because your first shift didn't fully mesh the gears in the transfer case. Just a thought.
Jeep Gladiator 4wd drive on 6 speed manual 1612986171773
Sponsored