6 Speed Manual Regrets?

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
Yep, this engine likes to rev. I can't keep my foot out of it. I only regeared to make 6th more usable on the highway. No other reason. It's never felt gutless, even before the re-gear. A side benefit was improvement with reverse. It is just too tall.
How did the regearing change first gear for daily driving. Do you find you still have to shift to second 20 feet down the road? Does it help make each of the tall gears (and reverse) better for daily driving with 37's?
Sponsored

ultraviper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
I only regret it when having to pick my kids up from school. line of cars a mile long, having to stop and start constantly for 20 minutes...

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I only regret it when having to pick my kids up from school. line of cars a mile long, having to stop and start constantly for 20 minutes...
One of the things I was really looking forward to on the Bronco 7MT was the crawler gear in traffic. Sure you're clutching in and out just as much, but it's low enough you generally don't get any shudder when getting the vehicle moving without gas. If Ford hadn't screwed that launch up so badly I never would have caught Gladiator fever.

Sponsored

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Anyone running 37's with your MT and 4:10 gears? Gladiator is on order, wheels are picked out, just deciding on tire size and what I can get away with on the 6-speed. I know many auto guys say it's durable without gearing. Wondering what peoplea experiences are with the manual?
I recently put 37's on and my standard 4:10 gears are doing fine around town and on the freeway. Also seems fine on the beach and dunes, using 4H. No need to regear for these venues.

[Let me clarify: By "fine" i mean it actually seems better. I enjoy driving more since first gear becomes a real gear, i can stay longer in second, and surprisingly i think fuel economy has improved a bit.]

I have a couple Jeep Jamborees scheduled in a few months, so we'll see how it does in 4L.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
60K miles in and no regrets. Course, I’ve been driving for 49 years and have only owned 2 automatics. Didn’t like either of them.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
I recently put 37's on and my standard 4:10 gears are doing fine around town and on the freeway. Also seems fine on the beach and dunes, using 4H. No need to regear for these venues.

[Let me clarify: By "fine" i mean it actually seems better. I enjoy driving more since first gear becomes a real gear, i can stay longer in second, and surprisingly i think fuel economy has improved a bit.]

I have a couple Jeep Jamborees scheduled in a few months, so we'll see how it does in 4L.
I ran 37's with the factory 4.10 for 2 years and just moved to 5.13's after driving a 4-speed for the last 2 years. Daily driving wasn't so bad and, like you, I actually liked the taller 1st gear except I stalled many more times in this rig than any other in my life (and I've been driving manuals for almost 35 years)

On the trail though, it's a different story. Obstacles I could easily cross just by feathering the brake pedal (no clutch or skinny pedal) became an issue. 1st gear rock crawling was not nearly as fun as it was before. Stalling on the trail was much more frequent.

I am looking forward to my next trail ride with the 5.13's. I would also like to hear your experience on the trail with the 4.10 and 37's to compare to mine.

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
zero regrets. almost 30 years of driving only had one auto for 3 years in Grand Cherokee just before I got the Gladiator. its almost a dying art form now

Libis22

First Name
Libin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
Occupation
Software Developer
I've only had one auto my 20 years of driving and I only used it for a year. Traded my Willys 2.0 auto for a 2023 Mojave manual! Things I learned driving it for 1k mile-

1. I am sure it needs some breaking in. I used to have rev hang, clutch discs slipping and engaging few seconds after shifting and weird feel when I first started but all looking better once I passed 1k miles. Not sure if I am breaking in Jeep or Jeep breaking me in.. :giggle:
  2. Same thing with stalling. It will get better.
  3. 1st gear is useless on road. once break in period is over, I use second for the most part unless it's starting from a hill or something..
  4. You have to rev high to get power out of this 3.6 One easy mode I did was a K&N reusable filter with factory airbox. I wouldn't spend money on CAI s Jeep has a great set up from factory. It also gets cold air from the front grill.
  5. It's a great gearbox. I never had any shifting issues even in the cold mornings.
  6. Use cruise control on highways. I've noticed computer does a better job keeping Jeep in 6th gear while doing 60-70 with small hills than throttle modulation.
  7. Works great off road. clutch feel and power is great in 4H and 4L situations. Again it got better after initial 1000 miles..
  8. Other pros are not many friends will borrow the Jeep and theft proof! 😃

Good luck and keep Jeeping!

Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
i kinda want a manual now. i have 2 autos. I think it would be fun to build a bare bones beater rig around a manual sport with the widetrac axles.

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
it got better after initial 1000 miles..
Ours was touchy at first. Then, at 500 miles it was like a switch got flipped. All the sudden the engine could handle driving around more like a V8. Low rpm pull, right turns in 3rd, etc. Then again at 15,000 it suddenly got better still. So yea, give it time before giving up.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think it would be fun to build a bare bones beater rig around a manual sport with the widetrac axles.
You'll have to build it that way. Sport manual won't get the slightly wider axles.
doable - find axles that someone has taken out of something else to put in heavier axle assemblies. Now and then you find take-off full differentials for sale.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I've only had one auto my 20 years of driving and I only used it for a year. Traded my Willys 2.0 auto for a 2023 Mojave manual! Things I learned driving it for 1k mile-

1. I am sure it needs some breaking in. I used to have rev hang, clutch discs slipping and engaging few seconds after shifting and weird feel when I first started but all looking better once I passed 1k miles. Not sure if I am breaking in Jeep or Jeep breaking me in.. :giggle:
  2. Same thing with stalling. It will get better.
  3. 1st gear is useless on road. once break in period is over, I use second for the most part unless it's starting from a hill or something..
  4. You have to rev high to get power out of this 3.6 One easy mode I did was a K&N reusable filter with factory airbox. I wouldn't spend money on CAI s Jeep has a great set up from factory. It also gets cold air from the front grill.
  5. It's a great gearbox. I never had any shifting issues even in the cold mornings.
  6. Use cruise control on highways. I've noticed computer does a better job keeping Jeep in 6th gear while doing 60-70 with small hills than throttle modulation.
  7. Works great off road. clutch feel and power is great in 4H and 4L situations. Again it got better after initial 1000 miles..
  8. Other pros are not many friends will borrow the Jeep and theft proof! 😃

Good luck and keep Jeeping!
Ok, so my 2021 Mojave with 71K lost its right side cam. Every high lift lobe was toast. Left side is pristine.
The engine really should have been retuned for more low rpm torque for the 6spd manual.
At 8000feet it regularly sees 5000rpm to make it move like a Mojave is meant to. I have no doubt at low altitudes behind the auto the engine is acceptable.
My son commented: Its said when the clutch and brake pads outlast the engine.
Its really sad because its such a fantastic machine otherwise.

Throwback

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
After break-in: I got used to the clutch now, very rarely stall. This clutch is easy on the leg. I always start off in 1st, but that seems not common here. Maybe I have taller gears? Anyway, no regrets.
Sponsored