6 Speed Manual Regrets?

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
Yes I have. 4.10 gears adequate but 4.56 would be a lot better. The issue is low torque below 3000 and idiot dual-mass flywheel makes startoff a challenge. Once underway its ok. Trailer brakes highly recommended at that weight.
How was backing up a trailer with the tall reverse gear?
Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I heard it’s a lot better than the POS Mercedes manual that was in my JKU Rubicon. I still preferred it over the auto back then, but it was geared all wrong and popped out of second gear and the shifter shook when you hit a bump. I’ve never had a manual transmission do that. Especially, not when new and it was normal for them.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Manual transmissions are the underdog, soon to be extinct. You need to be conscience, you need feeling, you need timing, mental and physical reactions all at the same time. Most can master it easily and it becomes second nature. Why would anyone want manually to shift gears (like me) when it can be done for you? It's freedom and control at the same time, it's for a driver compared to a commuter. Long time ago in another manual/auto thread someone said the auto was "superior in every concivible way", I think I read that same thing on the side of a box of powdered milk in 1982. They lied. But if you like powdered milk my friend, go for it, power to the powdered milk.

Sponsored

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
That's exactly why all my jeeps have been manual. Had a auto rental for 6 months and was bored driving it. The ram with the hemi was nice but just found I ended speeding, not braking when I should and even at times very distracted. Love the fun of shifting and have test drove a few manuals. Gear is definitely taller, the shifter was smooth and reverse was fast. Worried how all that would handle towing. I do not tow often, just a snowmobile trailer during January and February. My 2015 wrangler was ok for backing up a trailer, still required a lot of clutch work so the new 6-speed has me worried about trailer forward and backwards.

Last edited:

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My JKU Rubicon was the old 3.8l and it needed a six speed and the 4.10s to get out of its own way so that’s why I didn’t even consider an automatic. That being said, there was nothing like driving it through the mtns with the top off. And the infinity stereo cranked up and shifting through the gears. It wouldn’t have been the same with an automatic.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
How slow is reverse when in 4L?
On the Rubicon, 4lo is more than fine, with the 4:1 transfer case. I'm sure it's fine on the normal tc too, but which trim solid you wind up ordering? 4lo is extremely low, you won't have problems in 4lo. These are jeeps, after all :). 4 low reverse is setup for a real slow crawl, with no burning clutch, or possibility to stall. In high, however, reverse is tall.

I wish there was a 2 Low on these. That would be perfect.

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
On the Rubicon, 4lo is more than fine, with the 4:1 transfer case. I'm sure it's fine on the normal tc too, but which trim solid you wind up ordering? 4lo is extremely low, you won't have problems in 4lo. These are jeeps, after all :). 4 low reverse is setup for a real slow crawl, with no burning clutch, or possibility to stall. In high, however, reverse is tall.

I wish there was a 2 Low on these. That would be perfect.
Have a Mojave on order, so 4:10 axle gearing. Never tried 4L reversing before. I can imagine it being tough on the front end while turning the wheel.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Never tried 4L reversing before. I can imagine it being tough on the front end while turning the wheel.
Indeed it is. I've done it before, but only to back straight up really steep hills, if I have to be in reverse, on a very steep incline, never while turning on dry pavement. But sometimes around here, it's the only way to finesse/back slowly in reverse up steep hills. Reverse is very long. It's the one real thing I don't like about the manual. It's fine on flat surfaces, and even slight inclines. But up steep hills in high, reverse is too long. Low range is great, so off-road, no issues forward or backwards. But I'd love a 2 Low, and/or a shorter reverse. My one/only complaint is reverse is long. All makes are doing it these days, and I don't know why. My last VW and our Jeep Compass were the same way.

Have a Mojave on order, so 4:10 axle gearing.
You'll have the 4.1 axle ratio and the 2:72 low range then. Will still be boss in 4 low/off pavement. The Rubicon is a bit lower at 4:1 on the transfer case, so low range is EXTREMELY low.

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
Indeed it is. I've done it before, but only to back straight up really steep hills, if I have to be in reverse, on a very steep incline, never while turning on dry pavement. But sometimes around here, it's the only way to finesse/back slowly in reverse up steep hills. Reverse is very long. It's the one real thing I don't like about the manual. It's fine on flat surfaces, and even slight inclines. But up steep hills in high, reverse is too long. Low range is great, so off-road, no issues forward or backwards. But I'd love a 2 Low, and/or a shorter reverse. My one/only complaint is reverse is long. All makes are doing it these days, and I don't know why. My last VW and our Jeep Compass

You'll have the 4.1 axle ratio and the 2:72 low range then. Will still be boss in 4 low/off pavement. The Rubicon is a bit lower at 4:1 on the transfer case, so low range is EXTREMELY low.

Sounds like the tall gear can't be avoided if all makes are doing it. Not sure why, but it is what it is. Are you enjoying your manual?

Great , looking forward to it. I'm sure at some point I will upgrade to 35 or possibility 37's. Regear will be my plan at then.

Last edited:

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Sounds like the tall gear can't be avoided if all makes are doing it. Not sure why, but it is what it is. Are you enjoying your manual?

Great , looking forward to it. I'm sure ay some point I will upgrade to 35 or possibility 37's. Regear will be in plan ay that point.
Ive noticed a lot of reverse gears are as tall or taller than 1st. Not sure if this is an engineering convenience or design ignorance.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I changed the MT and tcase oil today. 26k on the clock.
Filled with Mobil-1 multi vehicle ATF. Tcase was clear but tranny was quite dark.
Im thinking the tranny should be changed earlier like 15K based on what I saw.

While I was under there refilled diffs with 80w90 Valvoline hypoid oil. Rear diff was pretty dark front was pristine as might be expected.

We will see how Mobile-1 affects the synchros but I'm not expecting any surprises.
Sponsored