Sponsored

8 Speed Automatic Regrets?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I got a ride in a Pinzgauer. Its lowest gear was so low the speed was measured in feet per minute!!

It also had a hand throttle so you could set a speed and take your foot off the gas. I believe the super low gear and hand throttle were intended for agricultural use. Like pulling a reaper.
Unimog is the same way. Got to ride in a 416 once with the super crawler box and top speed in first is something like 1000ft an hour

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Nope the 8spd automatic is perfect, only regret is I haven't hired a full time driver so I can just ride it in. Maybe one day but for now I'll settle for the wife driving me around part time. I hate driving!!!!

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The 8-speed with a 4:1 is a game changer off road. Never without the right gear

Ja87sm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I’ve had plenty of manual vehicles. Now being married with 2 kids.. the wife has driven manual before.. has no interest in negotiating that with 2 younger children. I get it, I’d prefer a manual but the 8 speed box on these is superior. We had a 21 JLU and now a 20 JT. I did test drive a jlu with the manual and I found it extremely easy to drive.. however I found the gearing to be less than desirable and the gearbox/clutch feel felt too car like (which may or may not be a bad thing). We do tow on occasion and felt the 8 speed was the right choice. Having grown out of the manual elitist feelings of my youth, I can confidently say you can’t go wrong either way.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Manual is no fun in my area for a daily driver. That made the manual a “no go” for me before I even got to the towing capacity.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I have a manual Mojave; slow AF and gets 13-14 mpg.
My friends dad let me drive his automatic Rubicon; felt quicker and noticed he gets 20 mpg on the highway somehow.

I'm a manual enthusiast so there is no way I was going to pass on that, but after driving the auto I kind of regret not getting it. Not enough to trade in mine for one, but like yeah that might have been worth $2k.
That's definitely way on the low end of the spectrum. Mine's manual too. What are your mods? I get 17-18.5, depending on season. And stock, I got about 19. On road trips, I can eke out a little bit more. About 20 now, and 21 stock. I find the engine gets better gas mileage if you keep RPMs up a little bit. It doesn't like to be below 2000.

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
That's definitely way on the low end of the spectrum. Mine's manual too. What are your mods? I get 17-18.5, depending on season. And stock, I got about 19. On road trips, I can eke out a little bit more. About 20 now, and 21 stock. I find the engine gets better gas mileage if you keep RPMs up a little bit. It doesn't like to be below 2000.
Best advice I ever got was to drive it like a 5 speed unless you're cruising 65+. I get around 14 mpg when I have the doors off and windsail sunrider up. All closed up 16 is normal for me, unless it's a proper highway cruise then it gets higher. I'm sure if I set the cruise at the speed limit and drove to my home office I could pull 19 (my auto willys used to get 21 on that route). But 35s that poke out a bit that I drive in a way that I enjoy is never gonna get great mpg.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I don't have to be doing something every second while I'm driving. I've shifted for years, in my wife's car, and I don't miss it at all. And, there is sure something to be said about 6th, 7th, and 8th gears. And....if I get bored, I can still shift manually if I want to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I don't have to be doing something every second while I'm driving. I've shifted for years, in my wife's car, and I don't miss it at all. And, there is sure something to be said about 6th, 7th, and 8th gears. And....if I get bored, I can still shift manually if I want to.
Slap shifting an automatic is literally the worst compromise. Most of the work required of a manual with none of the enjoyment of doing it with finesse.

Only thing worse than slap shifting an automatic is the old BMW clutchless manuals. Drove one of those once and just couldn't understand who the target audience was for those. Manual enthusiasts with an amputated leg?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Slap shifting an automatic is literally the worst compromise. Most of the work required of a manual with none of the enjoyment of doing it with finesse.

Only thing worse than slap shifting an automatic is the old BMW clutchless manuals. Drove one of those once and just couldn't understand who the target audience was for those. Manual enthusiasts with an amputated leg?
Old VWs had an an autostick. It was a real manual, but the clutch was vacuum activated. You still had to shift. It wasn't like modern DSGs, where you don't have to shift if you don't want.
But I agree, for me, the enjoyment of a manual is the clutch pedal. No fun if you're just slapping and shifting. Need that foot action.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
i was getting that stock but I currently have rocktrix 17x9 wheels (about 2 lbs per corner heavier) and BFG AT 35’s (the 315 size one, load range C). Those tires I picked specifically because they weigh no more than the oem falkens

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence

the SMG from the e46 M3? Those were actually pretty good on the track considering auto trans tech at the time. But not great on the street.
My favorite thing about them is that you could stall them at stop lights if you drove them a little funny. Stalling an automatic lol.