Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
ZF 8HP Transmission boring? Maybe... I installed Paddle Shifter to make it less boring.

Oh... back to the original question, No Regrets.

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1583.jpg
If you have a specific write up you did or followed, or any tips regarding this, I'd be interested.
Sponsored

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
I see you are in NJ - but really, do you have to deal with the stop and go traffic where you are moving, not moving, then shift to 2nd, then stop again, do I hold the clutch in and wear things out making the release bearing hot and melt, or let it out, oops, 20 seconds of holding it I decided to let the clutch out and now we're moving again, hit 3rd - wooo-hooo! dang, stop - do I hold the clutch, let it out, decide to hold it in and this time we sit for 30 seconds - repeat several times.
Traffic on I80 starting about 4 pm, you'd be glad you have an automatic if you were coming back home from Des Moines. You burn clutches or release bearings. And if traffic is moving slower than your vehicle will go in 1st gear at an idle, what do you do? Stop? lug it?
I grew up with manual transmissions. I've had them in many vehicles, trucks, cars, my grain trucks - both of them, of course (one with 2 speed differential) tractors, you name it. there's a place for each type of transmission, and when parking my trailer or doing the maneuvering I need to do on my property with that 18' car hauler and truck you'd likely find you didn't like the smell of a hot clutch.
They each have their place, and every time anything comes up exactly like this (and this isn't the first or only thread on this topic) it turns into a wimpy automatic driver vs. the manly stick driver who can't understand any other way.

So here we go again........... the men, the REAL men vs. the wimps and lazy who just don't get it and drive an automatic.
This. I'm in the DFW area. Not so bad post covid, but no flipping way I'm driving a stick to work and back around here. LOVE driving manuals, but nah, I'm over that.

General impressions on the 8 speed auto? It annoys me. Always thought the shift points seemed weird. Ever had it in manual shift mode, forgot and pressed the gas a little too hard? Dropped to 3rd gear while doing 60 + on the tollway. Slipped back into auto and it wouldn't shift. Had to put back in manual and shift through the gears. Skeered me. Happed twice, 2 different Gladiators. I know, don't forget I'm in manual mode... Did something similar in cruise control once. It wanted to downshift to keep up going up a small incline. Again, DFW, and in NE Texas. There are no major hills around here. It jumped down to 3rd. Again had to flip it to manual mode to get it to shift. Never seen similar behavior. Diesel on order now. Little bit different transmission. We'll see how that one goes.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
First part, I live in NJ but I work in Philadelphia and i travel to NYC for sales calls. Stop and go is my life. I also had the distinct displeasure of driving a manual 350z convertible in a 102 degree parade before without embarrassing myself or overheating the clutch. I'd rather do stop and go for 4 hours straight than do a 30 minute long parade ever again.

Second part, not the direction I was heading with it. Just having a bit of fun with the "regrets" people that have been filling up the posts recently. I don't regret my mojave, my armorlite, or my manual but for some reason some of you seem to think my truck is all wrong.
Don't worry what others think its your jeep.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was always a manual guy for my sports cars and off road vehicles, but for a daily driven truck I've always preferred an auto.

Now that my DD and 4x4 are combined I'm quite happy with the auto, I think it works pretty well. My main complaint with the drive train in this truck is wishing that it had a Hemi...

I will also add that I preferred a auto in my trucks due to towing capacities. For the Gladiator the manual is definitely out for that reason.
I agree 100%.

No regrets.

The Gladiator is only the second AT vehicle I've owned in my 50+ years of life. The 8 speed matches the truck perfectly.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

DavdZ

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2016 Ural 2008 Mercury Mariner
I had a build all set with a manual but then they weren't taking any orders at the time I was needing a new vehicle (covid). I ended up buying one off the lot with an automatic since it had most the other options I wanted.
As luck would have it, I blew out my left knee a few months later so a manual probably would have been an issue.
I have no regrets, and on the bright side, remote start is very handy on those double digit below zero days.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
These drop 2 gears at a time on quite a few downshifts - it's programmed that way. Is that what you are feeling? When you drop 2 on an automatic, it feels "weird" or like it's in between or something.

Yeah, the towing bit for me was enough. There's just no advantage any more other than personal preference, for some guys it's a pride thing. Just can't be seen letting that transmission decide or do the work.
I've driven sticks towing, and automatics, and frankly, no manual transmission made in the last 50 years has a reverse low enough to do what I need.
No I just completely said it backwards so i'm going to make a quick edit haha. It hangs on upshifts is what I'm experiencing when I goose it a little like pulilng out of a parking lot but then getting caught at the light a few hundred feet further. I actually like it because it's like how I'd drive it as a stick.

True story on the reverse though. A lot of the Taco guys did a 2wd Lo mod specifically so they could back up trailers on an incline. The only time towing I wish my truck was a manual was coming down into Phoenix from Payson... there's a few downhills that even dropping down two gears wasn't enough with the AT.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No regrets. I've spent plenty of time driving stick cars and stick internationals. I'm content with autos unless I get a fun weekend car down the road.

Sponsored

polarisTXguy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, F350, Boss 302, Mini, Ram1500
Occupation
Polaris Industires
I so wanted the manual and so did my wife. But we opted for the automatic based on time spend in the mountains and out in Moab on trail. We have two other cars that are both sticks so we get our fix in them.

With that I am impressed with the 8 Speed Auto

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
I love the 8 speed auto. No regrets at all!

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I refuse to drive a manual transmission in a Jeep or truck that doesn't have a granny low first gear.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Also, the 8-speed behind the ecodiesel is nice, no regrets

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On another note. Does anyone remember when a manual transmission would last forever if it wasn't run dry? Since about 1990 manual transmissions seem to need rebuilding just like an auto. The T-4 and T-5's in CJ's were terrible.
Sponsored