Sponsored

Backing up with 6 speed in 4wd

• Thread starter Deleted member 30519
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 30519

I have a pretty steep incline gravel driveway that leads to the garage door so I always back it in for numerous reasons. It took me a while to get the feel of the clutch when backing up at night and I burned the clutch a few times but I finally got it down. One thing I can't get the hang of is backing up in a little to medium snow in 4wd. I burned it like 3 or 4x now..any advice or should I just start pulling in strait?
Sponsored

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
Use 4 low and just let the clutch out, shouldn't need to slip it at all in 4 low.

Reactions: Mac

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a short, steep ramp into my shed. Trying not to excessively slip the clutch, I was killing it almost half the time. As stated by BryantJT, I just started throwing it in 4L. Provided a 2-fer benefit: made backing in easy and loosened up the transfer case shifting. BTW mine is a JTR w/4.10s and 4:1

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Yeah I concur, if you are slipping the clutch that bad, use low range and go slow. I use low to slip into my plow setup, let me stuff a short sharp movement at it without too much speed or clutch problems.

Release the clutch with just a whisper of throttle and use the brake to control speed. Feels alien at first, given all you can do with the clutch but honestly you won't stall it unless you are standing on the brake, and even then perhaps not.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30519

Yeah I concur, if you are slipping the clutch that bad, use low range and go slow. I use low to slip into my plow setup, let me stuff a short sharp movement at it without too much speed or clutch problems.

Release the clutch with just a whisper of throttle and use the brake to control speed. Feels alien at first, given all you can do with the clutch but honestly you won't stall it unless you are standing on the brake, and even then perhaps not.
Thanks a lot man. I gotta look at my manual becuase I couldn't get the shifter to lock in anything else but 4H and even then it just says 4wd on the dash. I had no issues getting the shifter into 4LO on my 18 JL sport S and it would say "4H or 4L" on the dash when engaged . I have a regular sport JT so I'm assuming I'm getting less features. The JL was an auto btw
Sponsored