First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I really want the Gladiator version when it comes out but if they don't increase the range to at least 100 miles pure electric then I would most likely pass. šŸ™
I think the Chevy Volt has the longest electric only range of any PHEV and it's only 53 miles. You won't see anywhere near 100 out of a Jeep JL/JT unless it's full electric.
Sponsored

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
I think around 40-50 miles electric only would be perfect. Enough to do most daily driving. Being able to recharge while cruising at 55+ is awesome. Now if there will only be an aftermarket company to integrate a 80+ watt solar option for recharging the big batteries. Sure might take a long while but at least with sun you will never be stranded.

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Unfortunately, I think the limitation is because of the size of the battery pack. They obviously wanted to keep it ā€œJeepā€ enough without sacrificing a ton of the cargo capacity. Only having to sacrifice the area under the backseat worked well for me and I live 14 miles from work. My engine turns on when I jump on the highway for four of those 14 miles. The rest of the time Iā€™m electric only. Even when the engine is running the battery is fully helping out. On my way home I donā€™t hit the highway because itā€™s shorter but it takes a little bit longer, and I get home with little to no gas engine use. If I can make my 28 mile commute with only 4 miles of hybrid use, Iā€™m a happy camper. I had used about half a tank in 8 days and with my gladiator I was filling up every 5-6 days on average.
I fully expect the range to take a hit when it gets bigger tires but overall it will still be significantly more efficient than my JT, not to mention itā€™s the peppiest Jeep Iā€™ve ever driven. On my back roads, I canā€™t even floor it fully because I spin the 33ā€ ATā€™s.

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
I think the Chevy Volt has the longest electric only range of any PHEV and it's only 53 miles. You won't see anywhere near 100 out of a Jeep JL/JT unless it's full electric.
The Chevy Volt was one of my first PHEVā€™s and the first couple years only got around 40 ev miles but it worked great for me. I would put gas in the 7-gallon tank every three months or so... too bad they discontinued it.
I went into the 4xe looking at it as a hybrid that just happened to get some EV only miles as a plus. Even just as a hybrid itā€™s super fun to drive and retains all the Jeep characteristics you look for in the wrangler.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
One reason that alternatives haven't moved the needle much, in terms of price or total share of capacity, is that it doesn't generally displace conventional power plants.

Due to the intermittent nature, there needs to be a backup for when it's cloudy and still. Backup storage isn't viable or cost effective.

Generally, this means that each megawatt of new wind or solar is offset by conventional capacity. This is typically gas, due to it's cheaper price and because it can come online quickly to meet demand.

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The Chevy Volt was one of my first PHEVā€™s and the first couple years only got around 40 ev miles but it worked great for me. I would put gas in the 7-gallon tank every three months or so... too bad they discontinued it.
I went into the 4xe looking at it as a hybrid that just happened to get some EV only miles as a plus. Even just as a hybrid itā€™s super fun to drive and retains all the Jeep characteristics you look for in the wrangler.
If you don't look at it that way, you'll just be disappointed. Glad you're enjoying it!

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
The new battery tech, sodium glass, by the same inventor of lithium ion batteries, estimates 1000 miles on a charge and recharged to capacity in minutes. This inventor, John Goodenough (97 y/o with credibility behind his name), says that the battery will be one third the size of current lithium ion battery in the Tesla.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
The funniest and by far the best part of the 4xe is that my wife, who is very liberal, is just about onboard with trading the old reliable Outback for a Rubicon 4xe. I mean, itā€™s all part of saving the environment right?šŸ¤™

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
The new battery tech, sodium glass, by the same inventor of lithium ion batteries, estimates 1000 miles on a charge and recharged to capacity in minutes. This inventor, John Goodenough (97 y/o with credibility behind his name), says that the battery will be one third the size of current lithium ion battery in the Tesla.
I'm pretty sure this is John.

Jeep Gladiator 4xe TEST DRIVE good-news-everyone

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
This thread from the Wrangler board may be relevant, also:
(79) 4XE - Worse mileage than other motors (after battery depleted)? | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

Jeep has stated that they will be 'electrifying' everything including the JT but I have trouble seeing them just sticking the 2.0L setup in a Gladiator. I guess it would be OK for short trips around town? But longer drives or towing maybe not so much... STILL have not seen any videos of a 4xe towing.

As an Ecodiesel owner, it's nice to see other people getting to be test rats for Jeep for a change.

Jeep Gladiator 4xe TEST DRIVE 1619449277819

Last edited:

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I'm pretty sure this is John.

Jeep Gladiator 4xe TEST DRIVE 1619449277819

Ummm, no you are wrong.

ā€œAmerican materials scientist, a solid-state physicist, and a Nobel laureate in chemistry. He is a professor of mechanical engineeringand materials science at the University of Texas at Austin. He is widely credited with the identification and development of the lithium-ion battery, for developing the Goodenoughā€“Kanamori rules in determining the sign of the magnetic superexchange in materials, and for seminal developments in computer random access memory.ā€

I think the man has plenty of street cred to make these predictions.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
@sirphenergan I've heard in other PHEVs you can tell it to heat up/cool off at predeterminted times while it's plugged in. Say if I get off at 5pm in winter and want the truck to start to heat up @ 4:50 every day, is that possible that you're aware of?

This thing is so far up my niche alley. I'm getting 20+mpg average/yr in my Gladiator right now and I have a charging network at my work that only 1 person really uses, so I can get in there easy. It's also free to us ;) My round trip shouldn't see much if any gas use. I would still have to use some gas so it woudn't go bad I know, but I only fill my truck up now once a week, about 1/4 - 1/3 or a tank each time. After 2 weeks I'm around 1/2 tank if I miss fueling up.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
That's definitely a game changer if true. The largest drawback to battery technology now is energy density. Gas beats Li-Ion all day every day, but this would make them much more comparable.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Yeah, I hear you.
My hope is that because we have a truck and it's longer then the Wrangler they'll be able to fit a larger battery. My guess is a range between 60 and 50 miles on only electric.
Loaded up with mods 20 to 30miles range. I could live with that for now.
Sponsored