Test drive, and first impression

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
I went to my local dealership today and drove my first JT. I drove the Overland, was very impressed, and I’m in love. It was everything I expected and more. I’ve been considering the Rubicon, but it’s a bit too pricy. Had the intention of looking at a Sport S, but it seemed to me they wanted me to look at the Overland.

Not ready to pull the trigger as this is my first truck of this kind. Wish it had more power overall. What mods would you recommend to get more out of the engine? I want a truck that can handle snow, rain, and be a fun adventure. I asked about the diesel and was told to forget it.m, and It’s not happening. I’ve driven the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and loved the Diesel engine as I’d prefer this engine above all.

Overall, it’s worth every penny, and money no objective, I’ve of bought today. Thinking about waiting for a used one. What do you guys think they will be worth used in two years? What are your overall impressions of the Gladiator?
Sponsored

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Cherokee XJ, 2004 Crossfire, 2006 300 5.7
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
The salesman is full of shit if he said the diesel won’t come, it’s confirmed by FCA that it will in 2020. He just wants you to buy the most expensive JT he’s got on the lot lol.

Also for some insight, what vehicle do you drive now? Are you already “broken in” on handling a Jeep?

Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
What do they mean, "Forget it and its not happening."

Because it IS happening and that is a terrible response to your question. The Diesel looks like a pretty interesting option if you can live with the pros and cons of it. Great low range torque, better fuel economy, but possibly more expensive maintenance (depending on who you ask).

Also, nobody really knows what values they will have in the future. But if you look at Wranglers and trucks in general, they tend to hold their value well.

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
Yeah I could tell they wanted me to buy an over priced Overland. Had a $5k mark up over MSRP. I drive a Boss 302 Mustang currently. They wanted to buy it so bad as a trade in, no, no, NO!

Gladiator is for my fun adventure truck, and my Mustang is for my power. I have driven trucks and owned two, but it’s been awhile. But not “broken in” on a Jeep. I can see myself getting the Sport S with Max tow and add on from there.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They've been promising the diesel for two years now. Where is it? I don't blame a salesman for saying it's not happening. FCA hasn't given reason to think otherwise.

Compared to JLU, the JT I drove was smoother, had much stronger brake feel, was slightly slower, and handled decently. I'm excited.
Sponsored